Feelings towards community representatives

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.

How do you feel about Community representatives?

I love the idea of CR's, it's a great benefit to the forum and perhaps to the local fandom as a whole
50%
I find the idea somewhat pointless, but still support it
25%
I find the idea silly and pointless, we're better off without it
21%
I completely despise the idea of CR's
4%

Total votes: 28
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Feelings towards community representatives

Post by jacojerb »

Based on the recent poll for Badge as CR, a few people have replied that they don't actually like the idea of a CR much anyways. So I thought I'd make a poll to more or less judge how people feel about having CR's.

I personally don't see the point. They don't have authority, they don't have obligations, it's really just... Volunteering to be a peacekeeper and help new members, I guess, which really, everyone should be doing. Just, some people get a fancy title out of it
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Feelings towards community representatives

Post by Leeward »

And others do it backstage with zero recognition.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Three negatives and one extreme positive? It seems like a loaded poll. :P

The benefit I see is that CRs are visible role models that have been officially sanctioned by the forum to do the things you mentioned, Jacojerb. Sure their impact might not be huge, but they cost very little to implement and its a nice touch to making the forum seem a little more structured and active.

The CRs are also watchdogs for the admin, and help the admin maintain a presence on the forum.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Exactly, it should be everyone's responsibility to act in a welcoming and amicable way.
You shouldn't get a gold star just for acting like a decent human being.

1 Extremely Positive
1 Less Positive
1 Negative
1 Extremely Negative

I would not call it loaded.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote:The CRs are also watchdogs for the admin, and help the admin maintain a presence on the forum.
The only example of this so far was waiting for an admin to show up instead of locking an already derailed thread directly, so I'm not so sure.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

@ Sev, I would consider voting for CRs as being pointless, a negative.

@ Leeward, that admin might have taken a whole lot longer had the CR not notified them. Besides, that might have been one instance where a CR was ineffective, but it didn't cost the forum anything, and it doesn't mean there have been no instances where CRs made a positive impression.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

How would you have phrased it then?
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Leeward wrote:
Ryall wrote:The CRs are also watchdogs for the admin, and help the admin maintain a presence on the forum.
The only example of this so far was waiting for an admin to show up instead of locking an already derailed thread directly, so I'm not so sure.
That is due to the fact we didn't have the capabilities of locking the forums, and we didn't "wait" I did make a post asking people to stop when things got out of hand Lee.
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

From my view, the ZA furry community is moderately-sized; not enormous, and forum activity is quite low compared to some other furry forums, but I believe it is large enough to warrant the CR system. Aside from the quantitative aspect, the nature of the community itself - personal, more intimate - also makes the CR role more practical.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Tocs wrote:
Leeward wrote:
That is due to the fact we didn't have the capabilities of locking the forums, and we didn't "wait" I did make a post asking people to stop when things got out of hand Lee.
Then either that has changed since I resigned, or I'm misremembering, because I recall having the ability to lock threads in V&S, despite having never had to use it.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

We never had the ability to lock threads. We can edit, or delete. Not lock
And das not good
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Locking a thread is the least worst of the three... editing and deletion trumps that.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Not when you get called pro-censorship for removing irrelevant or pointlessly offensive content.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Have we ever had a case of a CR abusing this ability and removing or deleting posts when he/she should not have?
From my observation, staff-controlled edits of other user's posts have generally been to merge double- or triple-posts.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Galahad wrote:From my view, the ZA furry community is moderately-sized; not enormous, and forum activity is quite low compared to some other furry forums, but I believe it is large enough to warrant the CR system. Aside from the quantitative aspect, the nature of the community itself - personal, more intimate - also makes the CR role more practical.
In my mind, it does the exact opposite: it makes the community more segregated.

I remember that I was once was in a bit of a bad space and Ivic contacted me. I asked him out if he was reaching out to me as a friend or as a CR. When he said that he was doing so as a CR, I immediately objected.
It was probably not his intention, but I will not have someone do something for me simply because it is their role to do so.

Approach me as a friend and an equal, or do not approach me at all.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

And certainly not because it's your job, otherwise you may as well be a telemarketer.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

It seems we have differing opinions. I respect your view, Sev; and hopefully this democratic approach to the issue allows us to contribute those differing opinions civilly. Whatever the outcome, whether the CR as a role continues, changes or is removed, I hope the forum and community at large benefit.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:And certainly not because it's your job, otherwise you may as well be a telemarketer.
That's not far off from what that felt like for me at the time.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

We have the option to edit and delete threads to either combine posts together, censor wording (such as swear words, don't go and assume I would try change a paragraph or take things out of context), and to delete anything that is completely illegal (which I haven't had to do), and the fact that you are implying that either myself or adagio would abuse such powers for censorship or wrong doing is really insulting. And more importantly if we do end up abusing powers, not only will our position be taken away, but the admins can simply just put everything back to the way it was and we gain absolutely nothing from doing such a thing.
And das not good
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Actually, I was referring to that time Tetsudra (then Auric) was called such for doing normal moderator stuff.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Leeward wrote:Actually, I was referring to that time Tetsudra (then Auric) was called such for doing normal moderator stuff.
That is not entirely how I remember the event. But that is old water under a collapsed bridge now. No need to bring that one back up.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That's not what I meant to do, I was just pointing out that there's always going to be someone who disagrees. Tocs taking it as a personal insult was a bit unwarranted.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Valerion wrote:
Leeward wrote:Actually, I was referring to that time Tetsudra (then Auric) was called such for doing normal moderator stuff.
That is not entirely how I remember the event. But that is old water under a collapsed bridge now. No need to bring that one back up.
This is always your excuse man... Be a man, tell it the way it was
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Randall wrote:
Valerion wrote:
This is always your excuse man... Be a man, tell it the way it was
But... but... Randall... wasnt it you who told us all in several of yoir fanny wobble threads (i have those too) to "Stop brining up the past guys, lets just move forward"...

Or am i remembering a different Randall/Sonic?
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

Valerion wrote:
If it's any consolation, my days here were numbered anyway. Our aspirations for the furry fandom are miles apart - diametrically opposed, really, and it was only after getting railroaded out by the community I was trying to help, did I realize I was wasting my time here.

This has now become the ZAFur that I expected - long stretches of idle conversation punctuated by toxic blowups - and it's done so entirely because of a lack of leadership. Conduct policies are non-existent or unequally applied. People are arbitrarily banned (or not banned) for no reason other than existing friendships. There's been no progress whatsoever in cultivating a positive image of the furry fandom originating from these boards, and a distinct lack of a sense of true community.

I couldn't build what I wanted to build here, so now I'm doing it on my own, over at AnthroCulture. In the space of 3 months we've helped Randall realize his dream of a successful subculture publication (he's amped about the next edition already), we've helped Electrocat stabilize her living situation by directly supporting her mate in his business, we've created a platform for artists to share their work, and just this week I conducted an interview with a very popular Cape Town-based comic - it'll go live on Friday, and will broaden AC's reach and influence beyond just the local furry group.

Just in these last 3 months I've already gotten messages from local furs wanting to get involved, and a ringing endorsement from Ahmar Wolf regarding the Furry Times magazine. This is what my vision of the fandom is - furs helping eachother in their creative endeavors, and it's something that would never have been possible under the banner of ZAFur.

So in that spirit, and to answer the original thread: I'm very positive on the idea of CRs in general. I think that having people that are able to deal with their peers in a constructive way, and offer guidance and support for newcomers looking to come into the community, is a very positive thing. My opposition has only been to the blurring of the lines between what the old timers here understood a CR was, and what the current CRs think it should be. I think they're watering it down, they think they're doing good work - I'm not going to judge either way, and I genuinely hope it takes off for them.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm not going to question the validity of the points that you raised, but I will say that there are some external factors at play which explain the declining activity here: convenience and fear of commitment.

It's far easier to join a random furry group on telegram, and more convenient to occasionally participate on that than it is to do so here.
It's also entirely possible that some people see joining a forum as a commitment that they are not willing to uphold.

Yes, there are problems here, but a person new to the fandom isn't going to know about them, and they likely won't make themselves evidently clear for at least a while.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sev wrote:Yes, there are problems here, but a person new to the fandom isn't going to know about them, and they likely won't make themselves evidently clear for at least a while.
Until the new member takes a trip to the rules and announcements board. :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I don't think that there's anything that a cursory glance would show as inherently concerning.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Oh, Sev... Tragic humour. That is what it is called. ;) As long as you are not part of the welcoming party, our dear new member should fit snugly into the community! Just, for God's sake, ensure he does not stray anyplace where you and Randall had the misfortune of encountering a different opinion!
I am joking, Sev. Relax. ;D You know I do it because I love to annoy you.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I might have had a history of been sarcastic and openly condenscending (and, shamefully, occasionally patronizing), but I don't think that I have even exploded at someone?

I rarely do things in an ill considered way. It's just that sometimes every option seems to suck, so I throw my arms up and just pick one of them.

Another one of those decisions is coming up in 23 posts times.