FurScience

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

FurScience

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I dunno how this is only coming to my attention now since it seems a few months old but the IARP (International Anthropomorphic Research Project, for those that don't know) has a fancy new website called FurScience. It looks like it's got all sorts of information and stuff (and will probably get a lot more). I haven't gone through everything so I can't tell you where I disagree but generally from what I recall from their Furries Among Us essays, any disagreements are quite minor. Especailly cool is that they have a 174 page digital book you can download summarising the five years of IARP research! Full of graphs and charts and sciency stuff.

http://furscience.com/
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: FurScience

Post by Sev »

We'll finally be able to show the therians and otherkin just how mad they are.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Post by Randall »

Aw man, don't start with that crap... gives me a headache
Brutallis
Species: Equine, Nightmare

Post by Brutallis »

I found all of this increadibly informative, thank you for brining this to light.
Greetings,

Brutallis
(Your local demon)
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Thank you for providing the link, Rakuen. It was a most interesting read! :D

At one point, I was considering asking the staff if they could hold a poll to establish the different demographics of the South African furry fandom - with regards to race, gender and sexuality. Of course, one might retort with "But you can just view such details on their profiles and conduct the study yourself!" That is true... But if the poll is anonymous, people may be more at liberty to reveal such details, resulting in a potentially larger and more accurate sample size (because it would be more private and up-to-date). Not to mention, some people do not take the profile details seriously, resulting in such interesting cases as a male lesbian... :P
Last edited by Galahad on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

StargazingSerpent wrote:Not to mention, some people do not take the profile details seriously, resulting in such interesting cases as a male lesbian... :P
Eddie Izzard is offended.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

StargazingSerpent wrote:At one point, I was considering asking the staff if they could hold a poll to establish the different demographics of the South African furry fandom - with regards to race, gender and sexuality.
It's been done, at least for race. We're very white.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3845&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=614&start=30&hilit=race
I'd say also very male but sexuality I think is a bit broader. You can make the missing polls if you want though.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Eww, spelling error.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: We're very white.
Hey! I'm tan.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I'm very white. My sister made fun of me because of it. :(
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
StargazingSerpent wrote:At one point, I was considering asking the staff if they could hold a poll to establish the different demographics of the South African furry fandom - with regards to race, gender and sexuality.
It's benn done, at least for race. We're very white.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3845&view=unread#unread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=614&start=30&hilit=race
I'd say also very male but sexuality I think is a bit broader. You can make the missing polls if you want though.
I can't say that I'm at all surprised.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well I'm very white. My sister made fun of me because of it. :(
I'm freckle... like... I was white, but I've got so many freckles now I basically look tanned.

MALE LESBIANS ARE REAL DAMMIT!!!! (Like Leeward says, Eddie Izzard be insulted)
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

RavenSong wrote:MALE LESBIANS ARE REAL DAMMIT!!!! (Like Leeward says, Eddie Izzard be insulted)
THEY ARE? *Checks own profile info*
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Furscience 2016 report

Post by Valerion »

A new piece of research have been released on the composition of the fandom, spanning 5 years of research. As for the accuracy of it - as always, with any statistical summary, read the methodology and sample size points.
Sadly in PDF only, as far as I can locate. If anyone has a web version, please post it.

PDF: http://furscience.com/wp-content/upload ... irst-5.pdf

Related sites:
http://furscience.com/
https://sites.google.com/site/anthropom ... earch/home
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

-Quietly slots Valerion's post where it belongs.-
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~