Inactive Users

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Brutallis
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Equine, Nightmare
Region: Gauteng

Re: Inactive Users

Post by Brutallis »

Astro Fox wrote:I ws a bit unactive cuz of exams. Now im finially on holiday sooo ima be more active :D
Hehe, don't worry we won't kill you... yet :twisted:
Greetings,

Brutallis
(Your local demon)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:We already have one: VoxLupus vs. Vox
It took me way too long to figure out that Vox was not Vox Lupus.
I was always confused by his responses to my questions.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Randall wrote:Conclusion: don't do it/don't go down this road.
It is not necessary. However, instead of deleting them, mark them as inactive so the owners have to do an extra step to get back into the forum. In the past, successful hacks of forums such as these, were leveraged out of old/forgotten user accounts.
That was part of the reason we removed admin permissions for some old admins that disappeared. Fewer access points. However, I'm not sure how much damage one could do with a standard user account that doesn't even have mod privileges.
Leeward wrote:We already have one: VoxLupus vs. Vox
However, in that example both users are active. It's not an inactive account blocking anything.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah,we wouldn't wan't to risk these accounts being hacked and suddenly becoming active. /s
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

This place will never be a friendly and good environment with all the snarky comments, drama and trolls in here sorry to say. But I think it's a lost cause. One of the reasons I decided to distance myself from the forums was because of that exact reason.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

YoteFox wrote:This place will never be a friendly and good environment with all the snarky comments, drama and trolls in here sorry to say. But I think it's a lost cause.
Hence the community representative initiative.... Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

"And then from the heavens above, God witnessed thine trolling, aggression and general assholery within thine furry community, and proceeded to say: "Forsooth! I feel regret in my heart for making them so! Alas, I shall create a Saviour and Redeemer to destroy their evil works!" And then God proceeded to say, "Let there be Azure!" And then there was sexiness." - 1Furinthians 13:37

Sadly, as tempting as it may be to draw the conclusion, I am not heaven-sent. :P
Regardless, I have trust in the community representative initiative, or CRI (I guess Community Representative Association Project did not make such a catchy acronym? ;) ). In any large group of diverse people, there will be conflict of opinions and clashing of personalities - in fact, it is worse in the university campuses. If one observes that there is a problem, ideally, one helps to solve it rather than complain about it.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:
YoteFox wrote:This place will never be a friendly and good environment with all the snarky comments, drama and trolls in here sorry to say. But I think it's a lost cause.
Hence the community representative initiative.... Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

I can't make out if you are being passive aggressive toward me or not but what I can tell you is that I stand by my point and if you are being passive aggressive you just furthered my point. I was away for a while because I had some important things in life and I probably missed a few things but allot of comments being left in the threads really make me feel like I don't want to leave a comment for the fear of receiving some ridiculous answer from a troll lord or a snarky comment from some or other comedian who think they are smart.

My point still being that, my activity on the forums have decreased due to this fact. I don't feel the friendly feeling I use to get from these forums, I might be crazy but I kind of don't feel welcome anymore here. So it's nothing against the reps, hell I trust you to do what you have been tasked with. But I feel these forums have become aggressive like other forums and I'd rather avoid that. There is more to the furry community than these forums.

I do feel the need to apologise for how I worded what I said, I was in a bad state of mind last night when I posted that (depressed and drunk). So let me rephrase that: I feel that people leave this forum for the reason of trolls and drama llama's. I myself have grown rather inactive due to this same fact. Maybe adding that it's a lost cause is a little harsh of me and unfair to those of you who are community reps. Thus I am sorry you feel that I am the cause of us not having nice things :lol:

So let me make another contribution as to why I think people become inactive:
I think another factor for there being so many inactive members is because of the relative time of turnover per thread or reply time. Rather the quietness of the forums in comparison to other forums, people wait for long and after a while they forget about the forums and move on with their life. Only reason I didn't forget was because I was a little too obsessed with this amazing furryness.

Another reason is that not everyone likes using forums, I personally don't like using forums but my obsession kept me here long enough to learn this forum. To some extent atleast.

I have a few other very strong opinions but I'd rather not lift them.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

YoteFox wrote:There is more to the furry community than these forums.
I would say the fact that there is more to the South African furry community is, to a very large part, because of the forum.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
I would say the fact that there is more to the South African furry community is, to a very large part, because of the forum.
I agree with Rakuen here...
In my experience, it goes like this
-> Guy finds furries
-> Guy finds Forum
-> Guy finds whatsapp group, and...
-> Guy get's too preoccupied with said group to go to the forums...
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

That's almost sexism.
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

I don't know... I don't have time to keep up with a WhatsApp group all day long due to work. I can check in on the forum & follow topics I find relevant, all neatly organised even. As with all groups, you will find trolls, smartasses & dramamongers - none of which I really have time for. I will see if the latter will dissuade me from frequenting, but thus far I've been coping. Mileage may vary in future.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Adagio wrote:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
I agree with Rakuen here...
In my experience, it goes like this
-> Guy finds furries
-> Guy finds Forum
-> Guy finds whatsapp group, and...
-> Guy get's too preoccupied with said group to go to the forums...
Ain't that the truth.
And to think that so many of those smug fuckers like to bash on the forum.
Shadow Hunter
Species: Timber wolf
Region: Limpopo and Mpumalanga

Post by Shadow Hunter »

I'm going to be honest here, since I found the WhatsApp groups I haven't been very active on the forums. I could apologise, but I don't feel the need to. I fail to see why it's such a bad thing if people aren't too active on the forums.
Haha! The fun has been doubled!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It's irksome, because the forum is almost certainly the reason that you found the WhatsApp group.
It's like a friend who always does you favors, but then never gets any recognition.

Shadow Hunter wrote:I fail to see why it's such a bad thing if people aren't too active on the forums.
Are you being serious? A forum is nothing without active users.
If you want to think of it from your deluded perspective: if the forum dies, then your precious WhatsApp groups won't get any new members.
Shadow Hunter

Post by Shadow Hunter »

Sev wrote:It's irksome, because the forum is almost certainly the reason that you found the WhatsApp group.
It's like a friend who always does you favors, but then never gets any recognition.

Shadow Hunter wrote:I fail to see why it's such a bad thing if people aren't too active on the forums.
Are you being serious? A forum is nothing without active users.
If you want to think of it from your deluded perspective: if the forum dies, then your precious WhatsApp groups won't get any new members.
I understand where you're coming from, but what I am trying to say is that you are all taking this just a little too far. Yes, it is important to have active members to keep the forum going but it's not the end of all of our lives if members don't post excessively. It's clear that the forum isn't going to die out or stop gaining members any time soon, so there's really no need to get so worked up over all this. Apologies if I've failed once again to make my point clear.
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Sev that is like saying without Google we wouldn't have internet searches.
Without this forum there would probably be another in its place, there is probably one now. Yes it wouldn't be the same but it would still exist.
Another WhatsApp group would have taken its place. And besides there is multiple ways in which he could have joined the groups.

Secondly it is not your choice to decide what people do with their free-time. If they don't want to use the forum that's their choice. I'm not trying to sound offensive.

Yes it would be great if everyone would stay and participate everyday but that's not the case. As we have said before, they just can't participate or don't want to. Its a shame but there we always be another person to fill the gap.

Sorry about my ramblings. But none of this matters in the end. All this fuss is wasted breath, as long as we continue to enjoy ourselves and the company, does it really matter that we have a lot of active users.
Shadow Hunter

Post by Shadow Hunter »

Kspore wrote:Sev that is like saying without Google we wouldn't have internet searches.
Without this forum there would probably be another in its place, there is probably one now. Yes it wouldn't be the same but it would still exist.
Another WhatsApp group would have taken its place. And besides there is multiple ways in which he could have joined the groups.

Secondly it is not your choice to decide what people do with their free-time. If they don't want to use the forum that's their choice. I'm not trying to sound offensive.

Yes it would be great if everyone would stay and participate everyday but that's not the case. As we have said before, they just can't participate or don't want to. Its a shame but there we always be another person to fill the gap.

Sorry about my ramblings. But none of this matters in the end. All this fuss is wasted breath, as long as we continue to enjoy ourselves and the company, does it really matter that we have a lot of active users.
You said what I couldn't find the words for. Thank you. And yes, in the end all this is about is enjoying ourselves, and we seem to be doing that well enough. That's really all that matters, in my opinion at least.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Shadow Hunter wrote:
Kspore wrote:Sev that is like saying without Google we wouldn't have internet searches.

You said what I couldn't find the words for. Thank you. And yes, in the end all this is about is enjoying ourselves, and we seem to be doing that well enough. That's really all that matters, in my opinion at least.
Thanks. Someone actually agrees with my ramblings for a change. :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Considering how active some of the WhatsApp groups are, the forum is feeling pretty neglected.

Except, of course, when WhatsApp furs come and stir up trouble here.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Sev wrote:Considering how active some of the WhatsApp groups are, the forum is feeling pretty neglected.

Stir up trouble. No, they are just expressing their opinion on the matter. It may sound like they are starting trouble but they don't mean to.

Everyone wants to give opinions on the matter, I mean you are doing it right now. You are starting conflicts with the WhatsApp furs right now. I'm not calling you out, I'm stating that everyone will have conflicts. The important thing is to look past these petty disturbances and try to enjoy ourselves. That is what is important. :)

Side note: In what way are they making the forum unbearable, they are just commenting their opinions.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other

Post by Adagio »

Kspore wrote:Yes it would be great if everyone would stay and participate everyday but that's not the case. As we have said before, they just can't participate or don't want to. Its a shame but there we always be another person to fill the gap.
Kev said it perfectly!
Thanks....
Sev wrote:Considering how active some of the WhatsApp groups are, the forum is feeling pretty neglected.

Well... I hate the groups... I passionately hate them... But if they give the llamas a place to bitch in peace... I guess... I'll live with the forums as quiet as they are...

Thing is. Here... People say things because they are meaningful. They don't just word vomit on pages... We have (occasionally) intelligent conversation...

This is kinda more grownup and mature if you will...

Edit: Kev, he's not talking about Shadow... I'm not gonna call out names... But it's old drama that left a sizable blemish on the forum...
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

On other forums I frequent, there are Whatsapp groups, but, and I say this with a very big BUT. I am not active on there. It is used mainly for decision making and when major hacks go down. Sometimes I will enter a group chat on request, because a n00b wants to ask something, but I refrain now because we all know how that ended up.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Indeed, Shadow had been pretty delicate for the most part.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yes Yote, I was being passive-agressive, because of the "can't be fixed" tone I read in your post. Since you have retracted that, I retract my response. I just can't stand defeatist attitudes.

Kspore and Shadow Hunter: you two are still pretty new here. You don't know what it's like to frequent a near-empty forum and live the frustration of seeing people come and go without a second thought. You're also both too young to understand that some people don't have the time or energy or even desire to spend their lives on their phones.

Red Sudan, Adagio, Sev: I agree, the WhatsApp groups are a collossal waste of time. I would much rather interact with the folks here who take the time to write a coherent response than read through a bazillion messages of verbal diarrhoea from dozens of people I don't know or care about.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

It would seem to me that there is much conflict in this thread, and it seems to revolve more around opinions on the quality and relevance of the forums and WhatsApp groups - rather than the reasonableness and effectiveness of suggested solutions.

I personally would take the side of the camp that votes to deactivate and delete inactive accounts. What are the arguments against this?
The foremost argument is: users returning from inactivity would have no account to use. My counterargument to this:

Logically, the very fact that we are having this discussion - that there are hundreds of members who have become inactive and are showing no sign of returning - renders that argument baseless. How many of these inactive users have attempted to return? Very, very few. Hence, how many would have encountered this hypothetical problem? Very, very few.

Additionally, the fact that they lost their account may prompt them to take participation somewhat more seriously, as it highlights there are consequences.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Leeward wrote:Kspore and Shadow Hunter: you two are still pretty new here. You don't know what it's like to frequent a near-empty forum and live the frustration of seeing people come and go without a second thought. You're also both too young to understand that some people don't have the time or energy or even desire to spend their lives on their phone.
1. I'm used to being alone so I know how it feels.

2. I'm on holiday now so I have time to waste, otherwise I have more important things to do. So that statement is half true. I did mention in my other posts that it is sometimes hard for people to find time to go on the forum, so I don't know why you included me there.

3. Being new makes no difference, if what you say is true then people will listen to what you have to say regardless of the person you are.

4. Like I said before, there will always be another person. Yes it it gets lonely but it is better to have good friends and a friendly environment for all, than to have an overcrowded forum to which we can't express ourselves truly.

But in the end none of these words matter and that's the point I have been trying to show you. If we enjoy the company and the friendships that we already have, do we really need an overcrowded forum. In my OPINION, no we don't.

Yes it will be nice to have a lot of people to which we can interact with. But first we need to fix what we have. Make more people want to join us before we complain that we need more people to join.

Thank you, if you took the time to read my ramblings. :)
Randall

Post by Randall »

Forums in general are dying. Many big ones are gone.
People are now well and truly in the grip of instant messenging on mobile. That, and Twitface.

Easier to be heard, taken seriously, and get "followers" and "retweets" on Twitface than to write something decent on a forum and get taken seriously.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Kspore wrote:Being new makes no difference, if what you say is true then people will listen to what you have to say regardless of the person you are.
That's not how it works in the real world. You have to build up a reputation before your words have any weight to them. Otherwise you're just another fart in the wind.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Hence my assertion about Twitter. Very easy to be a nobody there and suddenly become the life of the party by spewing shit. I am sure Ms Penny Sparrow would agree...