Werewolves and their time of the month

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Werewolves and their time of the month

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Quick biology lesson then some fun. For those that don't know, humans (and other organisms) have built in clocks. Those make your circadian rhythms and cause things like jet lag. It's possible for clocks to work by themselves but in most cases the clocks are constantly reset by a trigger, usually light. Light helps us wake up and resets our biological clock to match the daytime. If you lived in constant darkness you would still wake and sleep but you would slowly go out of sync with the day because you aren't being kept accurate by light triggers. Those conditions are called free-running conditions. Biology over, now the fun part...

Werewolves are supposed to transform with the full moon but what if they really have a circumlunar clock and the full moon just keeps resetting it. Would a werewolf kept in constantly darkness still transform every month? Would the timing shift? Don't you think someone experimenting with that would be a really cool plot for a victorian novel? If so, it's my idea! >.>
WolfyDragon wrote:Is the moon theory not a more recent thing? Sort of like the bite is like a transferable virus like thing? Well according to folklore anyway :P
Viruses could also induce a circumlunar clock. If a virus reproduces and can only get new hosts through biting uninfected people then it could use a molecular clock to co-ordinate infected humans. That way it ensures only uninfected humans are bitten, allowing reproduction. Biting a human who is already infected with the werewolf virus would not help the virus. Won't give you the biology lesson for that sort of thing but it should be fairly self-explanatory.

Any other cool werewolf theories that mix science with werewolves?

Also, cool concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linnaeus'_flower_clock
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Werewolves and their time of the month

Post by Leeward »

I'm not a big fan of werewolves. Suspension of disbelief aside, a transformation involving instantaneous bone and muscle growth would require an immense amount of energy and protein. That in itself would completely exhaust the lycanthrope, if not kill them. But let's assume he/she ate a few kilograms of lean meat and drank a few litres of protein shake beforehand; they would suddenly find themselves a lot heavier, and in an unfamiliar body. Most likely scenario here, they will be fumbling around like a newborn foal, not going on a murderous rampage.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Could offset that by saying the transformation builds up over a few days. Infected people find themselves suddenly a lot hungrier, growing faster, getting a bit hairier. Then suddenly finishes on the last day. The legends of werewolves would of course exaggerate the speed of the transformation. The energy use would leave the transformed werewolf starving and contribute to making them attack and bite people, which is what a werewolf virus wants. :)
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Even a period of a few days seems unrealistic. Especially considering that their entire bone structure would have to completely change.
Then again, I guess it depends on what kind of werewolf we are talking about: huge wolf-monster or hirsute linebacker?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Talking about werewolves and Sev's contribution is "that sounds unrealistic." >.> You heard Leeward, we're suspending some disbelief here. Work with me.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Post by Galahad »

Energy expenditure is not the only concern, I would imagine.

Many "transformations" involve a rapid increase in height or stature. The skeletal frame expands rapidly.
For this to be remotely possible in our quasi-realistic world, the growth plates (known formally as the epiphyseal plate - it is the area of growth tissue at the end of long bones) cannot be fused. Once fusion has occurred, bone growth halts altogether. This occurs at the end of puberty.

Therefore, rapid expansion of the skeletal frame in adults, or even young adults, cannot occur. If we ignore skeletal expansion, it becomes more feasible. Yet, muscles attach to bone; if the growth is too prolific, the muscles would, to put it simply, be too large for the skeleton. Therefore, I cannot imagine werewolves being much larger than their human counterparts, at all.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Well in line with sort of what Sev said:

Werewolves didn't originally go through a physical transformation, rather a mental one. It was because they became completely primitive that they were compared to wolves and thus in story telling they were portrayed as wolves, or people would dress in wolf skin to portray them...

Back to the good fun discussion about Werewolves!!!

So I'm going to steal that story line Rakuen... I'll legit credit you.

Otherwise I don't really have anything else to offer here, I personally love the concept of lycanthropy and the fact that our oceans have waves because of the moon makes it a good enough reason for me to believe it could alter a persons inner biological clock enough that once a month when it's full moon they change into a ginormous fluffy monster makes me extra extra excited!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

What if the transformation was gradual and die virus some how altered your perception and that of the people around you? This effect wears of when the moon is full for some reason.

I can just imagine a person bumping into things and knocking them over because they larger them they perceive themselves.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Cape_F0X wrote:What if the transformation was gradual and die virus some how altered you perception and that of the people around you? This effect wears of no a full moon for some reason.

I can just imagine a person bumping into things and knocking them over because they larger them they perceive themselves.
I'd find that less believable than sudden and massive growth. Let's not forget bamboo can grow 4cm an hour, that's just under a metre a day.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Brain chemistry?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

From the Wikipedia Page about Werewolves:

"After 1650, belief in Lycanthropy had mostly disappeared from French-speaking Europe, as evidenced in Diderot's Encyclopedia, which attributed reports of lycanthropy to a "disorder of the brain.[19] although there were continuing reports of extraordinary wolf-like beasts (but not werewolves)."

I don't have a brain disorder!! I is a werewolf!!!
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

That would make for an interesting plot device, Cape. :D The protagonist has nightmares that he believes is vicariously through the eyes of a werewolf going around killing people; he warns the villagefolk, only eventually to discover that the "werewolf" was none other than himself. There was no werewolf. ... Although, that sounds dangerously similar to The Village. :lol:

Alas, I do believe the topic is centered around actual, physical transformation.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

My suggestion was a work around for the sudden transformation.

Imagine dogs being scared of you close to the full moon because they smell the real you.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

RavenSong wrote:Otherwise I don't really have anything else to offer here, I personally love the concept of lycanthropy and the fact that our oceans have waves because of the moon makes it a good enough reason for me to believe it could alter a persons inner biological clock enough that once a month when it's full moon they change into a ginormous fluffy monster makes me extra extra excited!!!
You mean tides, not waves. Also the moon already does affect our menstrual cycles, so I guess werewolves could be a euphemism for a women on her period. :P
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

But you're worse. That doesn't make it a good euphemism.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Are menstrual cycles actually linked to the moon or just happen to approximate it? Cause if they were linked with the moon then all women should menstruate at the same time. Circumlunar clocks are used, especially by marine animals, to synchronise spawning and mating events.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Leeward wrote:You mean tides, not waves. Also the moon already does affect our menstrual cycles, so I guess werewolves could be a euphemism for a women on her period. :P
Well... That changes the plot of van Helsing completely. :P
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Quite a nice post by a friend of mine on Facebook, looking at a different aspect of werewolves.
I believe they would desynchronise from the circumlunar clock as individual variation would result in an increasing deviation from the circumlunar period. The lunar stimulus is required for synchronisation and it is through this synchronisation that they are able to satisfy their social requirements but with increasing desynchronisation, stress levels increase and psychosis develops such that rabid and self-destructive behaviour ensues. Eventually, under immense evolutionary pressure, a hormonal synchronisation trait emerges in the population, thereby ensuring the continued survival of the werewolves and a circadian rhythm independent of any lunar stimulus.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

StargazingSerpent wrote:That would make for an interesting plot device, Cape. :D The protagonist has nightmares that he believes is vicariously through the eyes of a werewolf going around killing people; he warns the villagefolk, only eventually to discover that the "werewolf" was none other than himself. There was no werewolf. ... Although, that sounds dangerously similar to The Village. :lol:

Alas, I do believe the topic is centered around actual, physical transformation.

There's already a comic that started with that concept:

Paradigm Shift - all about a female cop who is a werewolf but didn't believe she was. She kept having these dreams about the werewolf killing everyone, then the next day her and her partner would get called to the crimescene and she'd know intimate details of what happened. At the time of cancellation she'd slowly started getting used to her werewolf abilities etc.

WHICH BRINGS TO MIND ANOTHER THING!!!

Can werewolves out of transformation, portray abilities a werewolf in in full lycan glory have???

Like Professor Lupin from Harry Potter clearly did not!!! He was a weed! He was practically blind! He was handy with a wand though.
The lead character from Paradigm Shift, Alpha Luna and Sorcery 101 all were able to use there wolfy powers, even when powered down... to the extent they could control a transformation out of lunar cycle...

I like werewolves in comics... such fun

Did you know Captain America was a werewolf at one point :P
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Cape_F0X wrote:But you're worse. That doesn't make it a good euphemism.
We have to love you before, during and after.
There usually isn't an after with werewolves.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Are menstrual cycles actually linked to the moon or just happen to approximate it? Cause if they were linked with the moon then all women should menstruate at the same time. Circumlunar clocks are used, especially by marine animals, to synchronise spawning and mating events.
Actually they do, and it's one of the reasons girls often synchronise to each other:

I am usually linked to around or on the full moon. My mom and sister were closer to the new moon. Eventually, we all synched to near the full moon, my time, because of the three of us, I actually have a higher estrogen count or something. My doc explained it once, but I wasn't really paying attention.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Cape_F0X wrote:
Cape_F0X wrote:We have to love you before, during and after.
There usually isn't an after with werewolves.
Cape, if what Leeward says is true and werewolves are a euphemism for menstruating women...
Then, technically, all lycanthropy should be able to be cured with chocolate and genuine compliments. ;)
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

And wine. (Vodka for me, I don't like wine... and maybe Tom Hiddleston)...
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

RavenSong wrote:girls often synchronise to each other
I'm pretty sure that's just an illusion. The length of women's menstrual cycles can vary by quite a bit. Some take 29 days, some take 27, etc. This means that the cycles of women living in the same household will eventually sync up with each other for a while simply due to time and repetition. I'll give an easy example.

Imagine you're waiting at a traffic light with your indicator on. The light is blinking. You check your watch. At first, the ticking of your watch doesn't seem to line up with the blinking light on your dashboard. But every time the cycle repeats itself, the two come closer and closer together until they appear to sync up. After a while, the two cycles will eventually drift apart again.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

StargazingSerpent wrote: Cape, if what Leeward says is true and werewolves are a euphemism for menstruating women...
Then, technically, all lycanthropy should be able to be cured with chocolate and genuine compliments. ;)
But chocolate isn't good for dogs... Oh wait, give it to the human form, gotcha.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Dammit Azure! Now I want to compliment a werewolf's hair and see what happens.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Cape_F0X wrote:Dammit Azure! Now I want to compliment a werewolf's hair and see what happens.
Sure thing! I will even do it for you!

Hey, Valerion. Your hair is looking amazing! Which conditioner do you use? :P
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Ha ha. I also thought of that test, but I didn't want it to look like I am trying to be the admin's pet. (also want the test subject to be female, preferably)
Last edited by Cape_F0X on Tue May 31, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Oh, come on, Cape. ;) Complimenting someone does not make you his or her pet.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

StargazingSerpent wrote:Oh, come on, Cape. ;) Complimenting someone does not make you his or her pet.
I know. He needs my paperwork for a start.
But do the other people know that?

I get the feeling he is going to walk in here;
"Thank you. Bob Marlin large breed. Stay on topic!"