Fursona creation help

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Fursona creation help

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This is getting a bit tiresome. This thread is starting a fifth page but it's all the same as the first page. Perhaps it's time to stop repeating the same things over and over? You reach a point where it's better just to give up and focus on something else? Which is not to say, give up drawing. It's to say, Leeward, we all know what you are saying. It's good advice but you're beating a dead horse. And Kspore, listen to Leeward's advice and things will likely improve more and faster.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

I don't draw often, this is a new skill I'm trying to learn, and its going to be a while till I get it right.
I think the thing is that you might be 'learning' wrong, or if not wrong, then not optimally.

Your other interest is gaming, so think of it like this:
If you've never played a game before, for example an RTS, then you start off with a tutorial level. Usually it shows you step by step what to build, and generally in what order. you won't have late game tech, only basics, until you know how to use those, then it gradually adds more and more advanced things.

Alternatively, using myself as example to explain what I mean:
I started taking art "classes" for fun in Grade 8. Every Monday and Wednesday 3pm to 6pm, with a retired art teacher who lived in the area near the school. (Were about 10 of us in total in the class).
She started us off doing basic shapes, she would put a coffee mug down and we would draw it, and mine looked wack af. Then she gave us papers she got of google probably that explained how perspective worked, then we drew coffee mugs again, but with some pencils laying about and a lock, applying the perspective we learned from the pages. Then she told us to shade it, showed us how, repeat. (Simplified obv.)
After a while of this I got 'bored' of just learning to do these all at the same time, and told her I wanted to make a proper big drawing. (Since we were a mix of all grades at the same time, she'd help us all individually, but still do one 'topic' at a time for everyone, and if you didn't want to listen to her you could do whatever on your own.)
So I got a big A2 page, and made a big outdoor scene and it looked awful. I was very unhappy with myself because "I've been here 6 months and this drawing looks like shit"
But she told me that it takes time, and one needs to learn step by step. So I just kept at it, following tutorials, drawing trees and coffee mugs, animals, birds, all manner of things to learn.
I didn't make a drawing I was proud of until grade 10.

And if you feel like this was just a waste of your time and that you'll properly learn how to draw by just making drawings of your fursona, then sure, do that. No one can change your mind for you, only you can decide what you do, others can only give advice.
And I think Cape said about 'personality' as well, draw your fursona playing games, or watching YouTube videos, or sleeping in class, or anything you'd enjoy. Don't just show what you look like, but also who you are
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:It's to say, Leeward, we all know what you are saying. It's good advice but you're beating a dead horse.
Yeah I know, but the reason I'm harping on here is because of the mind-blowing irony that literally everyone understands what I'm saying except the one it's directed towards, because he's too obstinately proud and arrogant to admit that he's actually not making any progress. You can "appreciate" advice all you want but ignoring virtually all of it because you "disagree" (i.e. don't like it or are too scared to try it) is both inherently contradictory to appreciating it, and is a slap in the face that makes it highly unlikely for anyone else to want to critique or appraise your work in future. If you don't want feedback, then just say so. And seriously, trying a different approach ONCE isn't the end of the world, but Kspore acts like it's going to permanently cripple his "style" to do anything differently. This whole situation is so contradictory I just can't wrap my head around it.
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup
Region: Gauteng

Post by Kspore »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:This is getting a bit tiresome. This thread is starting a fifth page but it's all the same as the first page. Perhaps it's time to stop repeating the same things over and over? You reach a point where it's better just to give up and focus on something else? Which is not to say, give up drawing. It's to say, Leeward, we all know what you are saying. It's good advice but you're beating a dead horse. And Kspore, listen to Leeward's advice and things will likely improve more and faster.
Okay.
I understand that all of you have become tired by me showing similar pictures all the time and going through this conversation each time. I disagree that its the same as the first page because I couldn't even do a basic frame. (Not that its any better now).
But you made your point. I just felt as if i couldnt continue till it was perfect. (And its going to be a long time till its perfect, so I'm not going to bore you anymore with all these drafts that you don't want to see by now).
I understand.

Listen to Leewards advice?
Which one exactly. Are you referring to the one where I should get out of my comfort zone and try draw new things? Because I have been doing that but I doubt that would would like to see those terrible drawings so I didn't show them.
Faanvolla wrote:
I don't draw often, this is a new skill I'm trying to learn, and its going to be a while till I get it right.
Alternatively, using myself as example to explain what I mean:
I started taking art "classes" for fun in Grade 8. Every Monday and Wednesday 3pm to 6pm, with a retired art teacher who lived in the area near the school. (Were about 10 of us in total in the class).
She started us off doing basic shapes, she would put a coffee mug down and we would draw it, and mine looked wack af. Then she gave us papers she got of google probably that explained how perspective worked, then we drew coffee mugs again, but with some pencils laying about and a lock, applying the perspective we learned from the pages. Then she told us to shade it, showed us how, repeat. (Simplified obv.)
After a while of this I got 'bored' of just learning to do these all at the same time, and told her I wanted to make a proper big drawing. (Since we were a mix of all grades at the same time, she'd help us all individually, but still do one 'topic' at a time for everyone, and if you didn't want to listen to her you could do whatever on your own.)
But she told me that it takes time, and one needs to learn step by step. So I just kept at it, following tutorials, drawing trees and coffee mugs, animals, birds, all manner of things to learn.
I have actually been doing that exactly. I have been practicing drawing technique that I learnt on YouTube and its quite good. +/-
I can shade much better now although I still need to practise it from different angles.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

That's good then, I think.
Keep it up and don't be dissuaded
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

....are you kidding me!? i thought this thread was for people seeking help and input when they make a new fursona. ԾwԾ am i going to have to make my own thread now!? geez! Everyone always ignores the threads I make because I’m a well known dick. <w< the facilities in this place suck. FINE! i'll go to Leeward land then! i bet they have a general thread for this sort of thing there... and I could probably use a pseudonym there so folks wont ignore me by default.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...