Fursona creation help

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Fursona creation help

Post by Leeward »

Kspore wrote:Again, any suggestions will help. I'm still learning how to draw, any tips will be appreciated.
Are you actually drawing stuff other than what you're posting here? Because if I'm going by what I see, you need to try something other than making manual photocopies of the same drawing over and over again. That's not learning how to draw, that's learning to make one drawing off by heart. Try drawing literally anything else, or even the same subject from a different angle. Don't be afraid to experiment, that's how we learn.

Also I only noticed this now...
Kspore wrote:I don't have anything that can use a template effectively, please don't say I need to use one. I really can't, but they do help to look at.
I'm gonna go there again, you very much do need to use one, at least just to get a rough idea of what you want to get to. Aside from printing it and using traditional media, there's lots of free software for this. I highly recommend my favourite, GIMP. You don't need any fancy hardware, a mouse is quite sufficient. There are tons of tutorials for it out there, but I'd be more than happy to walk you through it if you like. Heck I'll even share my screen over Skype and follow your design instructions. :)
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup
Region: Gauteng

Post by Kspore »

Leeward, please. I'm not going to use a template, so can you please stop shoving the idea down my throat. I appreciate your input but I'm not going to use one. I don't want to, its not my style.

Yes, it might help me do it a hell of a lot faster and get everything right but I don't want that.
Yes it might not look right, yes it might not be the best. But I don't want that, I want to piece my fursona together as if I'm putting myself together. It is going to be a long process but I'm willing to put in the time. Everything I draw, it feels like I'm finding myself. I did not start this project to draw a wolf, I started it because I'm finding myself. And will continue to draw like this because I want to, because it feels right.

Yes this might seem weird, but it means a lot to me. It might not look like what it is "supposed" to be but it only matters what I see in it. I ask for advice so that I can find what I'm looking for, not what I added features to.

So in short, thanks to everyone who has given me advice on this. All of it has helped in a small way, whether its just knowing that you support me or just acknowledged my drawing. Trust me, I will get this done eventually but in my own way. I'm not saying to not give me advice, I just saying don't change me. :D

Hope you are all doing good. Here are a few drawings I just did for fun. :)
Attachments
IMG_20160820_214603.jpg
IMG_20160820_214535.jpg
IMG_20160820_214616.jpg
IMG_20160820_214500.jpg
IMG_20160820_214519.jpg
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Is it just me or is the last pic NSFW?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Leeward and I are just getting a bit frustrated because if you were really working as hard at this as it sounds, your pictures would have started looking like this.
DSC_0438.JPG
DSC_0436.JPG
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's fine Cape, I give up. Kspore clearly has no idea what he's doing and is adamant on refusing to take any of the advice he asked for. Typical teenage know-it-all attitude. There's no point helping someone who doesn't want to be helped. If he wants to find himself by not learning to draw, that's his indaba.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I, for one, did not use templates when I began dabbling in digital art. I am not an accomplished, famous artist, but my skills have most certainly improved to an intermediate's level. Of course, that is just anecdotal evidence specific to me - however, I do not see why KSpore must out of necessity use a template. The benefits are there, but it is not the only method.

KSpore, you asked for advice and opinions, so here are mine:

Your Drawing SPECIFICALLY

◘ To be frank, the anatomy needs an overhaul: I would strongly recommend looking at actual photographs of wolves and canines in general, and noticing the shape of their heads. In yours, for example, where the snout meets the frontal lobe of the skull ("bridge of the nose"), the angle is too sharp, and the snout itself is too short. The ears also appear too large.

Art in GENERAL

◘ Aside from templates, resources in general - anatomy tutorials, "speedpaint" videos by experienced artists, reference material, etc. - are invaluable to a beginner artist. Learning from others does not come at the expense of your originality - most accomplished digital artists began by being inspired by the works of other artists and learning from the latter's techniques. Sites such as DeviantArt offer a wide variety of such tutorials, but I would advise you to be careful - "technique tutorials" (e.g how to shade) are not always reliable, so be very selective - look at the artist who made the tutorial and his/her artwork. Is it skillful? Is it praised? Is this the sort of artist I myself like?

◘ Practice does not always make perfect, but perfect practice always makes perfect. In other words, merely drawing a few times a day does not guarantee you will become good. How do you practice? Do you draw the same thing over and over again, without ever venturing out of your comfort zone? Do you try other techniques and themes? Do you identify areas you are weak in (such as, say, anatomy), and work hard to improve in those areas? Perhaps three key words to keep in mind: Consistency, creativity and perseverance. Be consistent by being disciplined and regular in practice; be creative in exploring and trying out new things not in your comfort zone; persevere in not giving up when something does not "look good".

◘ Find an artist whose work you love and by whom you are inspired. There are plenty - perhaps you can find one on FurAffinity or DeviantArt. Add him or her to your watchlist, and use that person as an "artist role model" or source of inspiration. This is taking advantage of human psychology.

◘ Keep in mind that there is a learning curve. It is slow at first - you will feel as though you are wading through thick mud with regards to improvement; some drawings will look terrible, others even worse! Yet, as you get better over the weeks and months, your momentum should build up and your progress will pick up speed.
Last edited by Galahad on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Leeward wrote:It's fine Cape, I give up.
I know and I'm also wrapping up with these last few words.

Go have a nice, long, hard look at a wolf and NOTICE THINGS!

Like how a lower or less of a bridge (the step from nose to brow) gives a more wild appearance.

Cheek fluff

Muzzle size

And last, but not least, forward facing eyes.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It's so beautifully ironic: in an attempt to avoid being generic by simply altering a template, he's succeeded in creating something utterly indistinct.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sev wrote:It's so beautifully ironic: in an attempt to avoid being generic by simply altering a template, he's succeeded in creating something utterly indistinct.
I would assume that is natural in the portfolio of a complete novice.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

A completely stubborn novice, perhaps.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sev wrote:A completely stubborn novice, perhaps.
That is my favourite type of novice. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Cape_F0X wrote:Leeward and I are just getting a bit frustrated because if you were really working as hard at this as it sounds, your pictures would have started looking like this.DSC_0438.JPGDSC_0436.JPG
This is the first time that I have ever decided to draw something. I know that it is not close to looking good but I'm trying Cape. That is unfortunately my best, im sorry that is not good but I can't do any better.

Thanks Azure (hope that is spelt right), for the help.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It's not about looking good - if you want to draw for the sake of drawing, that's fine.
This is simply about the fact that you're no closer to achieving your goal than when you first created this thread.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Sev wrote:It's not about looking good - if you want to draw for the sake of drawing, that's fine.
This is simply about the fact that you're no closer to achieving your goal than when you first created this thread.
I am not drawing for the sake of drawing. I am trying my best and I know that I haven't made much progress.
But in not going to give up on this. You can judge me all you want, you are not going to stop me. So please stop trying to dissuade me.

Please, I don't want you to waste your time on me. Go and help other people because you aren't helping me or yourself by trying to change me.

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it :)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You're not trying your best, you're drawing the same thing over and over hoping it'll look better the 1000th time.

Try some drawing tutorials, or read a book, you might (gods forbid) learn something.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Leeward wrote:You're not trying your best, you're drawing the same thing over and over hoping it'll look better the 1000th time.

Try some drawing tutorials, or read a book, you might (gods forbid) learn something.
If that is what it takes. Then I will TRY my best to make every draft as good as I can.

I have tried drawing tutorials and such, why wouldn't I.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Kspore wrote:
Cape_F0X wrote: This is the first time that I have ever decided to draw something. I know that it is not close to looking good but I'm trying Cape. That is unfortunately my best, I'm sorry that is not good but I can't do any better.
Don't go throw a pity party. :cry:
We all had to start somewhere.

This is my way of saying to stop banging your head against the same wall.
Take inputs and see if you can implement them.
If they work great! If they don't, at least you tried something new.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Cape_F0X wrote:
Kspore wrote:
Cape_F0X wrote: This is the first time that I have ever decided to draw something. I know that it is not close to looking good but I'm trying Cape. That is unfortunately my best, I'm sorry that is not good but I can't do any better.
Don't go throw a pity party. :cry:
We all had to start somewhere.

This is my way of saying to stop banging your head against the same wall.
Take inputs and see if you can implement them.
If they work great! If they don't, at least you tried something new.

Please, I don't want pity and I don't have time for it.
I'm trying my best and that is all that matters to me in the end. You don't have to accept that but then leave me alone. I don't want you to waste your time on me if you don't want to.

Thanks for trying to help though :)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You're the one wasting everyone's time here.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Leeward wrote:You're the one wasting everyone's time here.
I did not tell you that you must give me advice or that you must comment.
You did that all by yourself.

And there are some people that actually want to see me progress.
So please, stop commenting if you don't want to.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Though it seems we may disagree on certain points, one thing I am certain we can agree on is that disputing over this is indeed a waste of time.
Spore, I wish you all the best with becoming a better artist - the advice given here, such as from Cape and Lee, is sound. You can choose whether to heed or ignore it, but it shows the community does care about you.

We look forward to seeing what else you draw. :) Please, keep it up.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Galahad wrote:Though it seems we may disagree on certain points, one thing I am certain we can agree on is that disputing over this is indeed a waste of time.
Spore, I wish you all the best with becoming a better artist - the advice given here, such as from Cape and Lee, is sound. You can choose whether to heed or ignore it, but it shows the community does care about you.

We look forward to seeing what else you draw. :) Please, keep it up.
Thanks Azure.
I will.:)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You asked for "fursona creation help", which is literally the title of your thread, and that's what I tried to give. Don't reject it on the grounds that you didn't ask for it because I didn't say what you wanted to hear.

Now get off your special snowflake arse and practise drawing some more, or you'll never get to the point of creating a fursona with your own drawings. As Azure said, I was trying to help, and I am genuinely interested in seeing your progress.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Leeward wrote:You asked for "fursona creation help", which is literally the title of your thread, and that's what I tried to give. Don't reject it on the grounds that you didn't ask for it because I didn't say what you wanted to hear.

Now get off your special snowflake arse and practise drawing some more, or you'll never get to the point of creating a fursona with your own drawings. As Azure said, I was trying to help, and I am genuinely interested in seeing your progress.
And I appreciate your contribution and yes I did ask for it, I know.(Like you said, that was the point of the thread).

And although I do not agree with the advice given, I still appreciate the fact that you took time to write it. Thank you.

And I am practicing how to draw, in my own time. I haven't drawn for a long time, its going to take time for me to make progress. But I'm going to try hard no matter what to make it as good as I can.

Thanks.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Well, this has turned into a fascinating place...

Kspore, as an artist and someone who has struggled, i say keep doing what you are doing. If it helps you then thats all that counts.

Considering the work most od us in the forum do, none of us are in the position to be art critiques, and we all seem to think we have the right to do so.

That being said you did say help in your title and thats exactly what they were trying (and eventually failing) to do. And i say failing because just because someone asks for help doesnt mean they are obliged to accept it.

I draw some of my pictures ten to twenty times over, and most od the time the difference between one and twenty is one simple line. If that line is correct anatomically or improves the oicture then the work was worth it.

Every artist learns his own way, every person learns his own way. And by saying to a person you give up on them... wow, nice way to support and grow an artist guys.

Kspore, you keep posting you keep trying. Artist to artist, you got this bro.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

RavenSong wrote:Well, this has turned into a fascinating place...

Kspore, as an artist and someone who has struggled, i say keep doing what you are doing. If it helps you then thats all that counts.

Considering the work most od us in the forum do, none of us are in the position to be art critiques, and we all seem to think we have the right to do so.

That being said you did say help in your title and thats exactly what they were trying (and eventually failing) to do. And i say failing because just because someone asks for help doesnt mean they are obliged to accept it.

I draw some of my pictures ten to twenty times over, and most od the time the difference between one and twenty is one simple line. If that line is correct anatomically or improves the oicture then the work was worth it.

Every artist learns his own way, every person learns his own way. And by saying to a person you give up on them... wow, nice way to support and grow an artist guys.

Kspore, you keep posting you keep trying. Artist to artist, you got this bro.
Thanks, that really helps.
And I will continue to draw and keep everyone updated.:)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

If someone hasn't taken your advice after 3 pages, they are not going to. It's not helpful to continue to push that advice on someone who has asked for it to stop. That's just being a bully and trying to pretend you're being nice. I do not want to see people continuing to harass Kspore. If he's making a mistake, he's making his own mistake.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I suppose so, but in that case, does any of this have any point if the next three pages of this thread are simply going to consist of him drawing the same thing over and over again?
There's no point asking for advice if you're just going to ignore it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Perhaps but perhaps not. Regardless of what he chooses to do, it is not mandatory for people to read this thread.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~