Fursona creation help

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Fursona creation help

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Think the thing that was frustrating Leeward is that there is a difference between going through the effort of creating a fursona and going through the effort of learning to draw an anthro wolf.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Indeed. It can be a few scribbles, but if those scribbles give us an idea of what your 'sona should look like, then those scribbles have done their job.

And the whole gray and ice blue wolf thing is so overdone.
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup
Region: Gauteng

Post by Kspore »

Then what am I doing wrong then?
I have put so much effort just to get that small piece, what is wrong with it?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

You're too focused too early. Start really vague and really general, and narrow it down from there.

Actually draw the whole body, for one.
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Leeward wrote:There's a ton of templates around for anthro wolves. I suggest you start with a Google image search for a nice one and some inspiration. After that, once you know what you want, ask again and we'll be of more help.
I don't know much about drawing but surely it would be easier to find something similar and add and remove detail from it until you are happy and make a completely new one from there using it as a decent referance? Sure it may be somewhat standard but its something.

Some of these are actually pretty good I think.

https://furnation.com/forums/topic/140/ ... neart-list

I looked for one for dragons from that list, with all the options I was able to make the most epic dragon ever ;) . If put side by side it definitely seems to resemble my own.

http://www.dolldivine.com/dragon-maker.php

This one is the best though, will be using it all the time

http://www.dolldivine.com/mlp-fim-pony-creator.php
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Oh noes, we have a brony in our midst!
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

MLP is my life and my everything. I only took engineering so I could make a teleporter to Equestria. My only wish is to be ruled by a demigod who commands the sun while my colourful friends sings songs around me.

I will totally use my telecommunications skills to try get internet working there.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

There's only one small flaw in your plan:

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Obsidian wrote:My only wish is to be ruled by a demigod who commands the sun while my colourful friends sings songs around me.
So, you would like to live with the Teletubbies?
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Touche raptor

I checked something similar to that vid before, by teleporting we are pretty much killing this version of ourselves

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Obsidian wrote:I don't know much about drawing but surely it would be easier to find something similar and add and remove detail from it until you are happy and make a completely new one from there using it as a decent referance? Sure it may be somewhat standard but its something.
This is exactly what I mean. You don't have to use the template as an absolute final version set in stone, it's just a sandbox to experiment with until you arrive at something that's fairly close to what you want, and then use that as inspiration. By the looks of it you're not using a reference, which illustrates my point perfectly: if you don't know what it is that you're supposed to draw, chances are what you'll make isn't what you intended. Heck, even a photo will do to get the proportions right.

Besides, if you want to be original and unique, you might want to go with something other than one of the most popular species in the fandom. Painstakingly creating a wolf one whisker at a time doesn't make it any more original.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Leeward wrote:Besides, if you want to be original and unique, you might want to go with something other than one of the most popular species in the fandom. Painstakingly creating a wolf one whisker at a time doesn't make it any more original.
Give it horns and call it a dolf

Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Fursonas are intensely personal. It is an expression of "you". The below will echo a lot of what was said previously.

My suggestion: Close your eyes and visualize your fursona. Don't worry about anything, only what it looks like to you. Then write down what you see. Doesn't matter if it's jumbled or not clear or whatever. And if you see blue eyebrows above a white nose, write it like that. Read it carefully and write it out in a logical way. Start from the top down on the face, for example, or from the face back towards the rear of the body.

Once you have this image fixed in your head, take a blank template, and do a rough sketch onto that of just the colours and patterns in the fur. And accessories. If he has two different coloured eyes, draw that. If he has antlers, draw that in. Doesn't matter if you can draw well or not, this is just to get the idea down on paper (or electronically).

If you want to make modifications as you go, make them. Just make sure they fit your mental image

Once you have this image down, you can draw out a fursona that looks like what you pictured in your head.

Also, don't be afraid to change it. While I have been a wolf ever since joining the fandom (or it joining me, depending on your viewpoint), I have gone through several colour changes in my life. And my current avatar here doesn't actually reflect my fursona. I still need to get a new icon done. The way you see yourself changes during your lifetime, this is normal.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Thanks Valerion, I will try that.
Okay I will try using a template if it will help me. Does anyone know of a wolf template I can use?
I have looked (not extensively) and could only find ones already filled in.
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Thanks Leeward, I will try them out.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I have come to the conclusion that there are far too many wolf templates and not enough jackals :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sticky_Fingers
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: brown bear

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6j26avabto26 ... t.png?dl=0

I created a photoshop file based on your latest picture.

This was the result. A digital version is easier to manipulate. I can help you a little more if you desire.
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Sticky_Fingers wrote:https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6j26avabto26 ... t.png?dl=0

I created a photoshop file based on your latest picture.

This was the result. A digital version is easier to manipulate. I can help you a little more if you desire.
Thanks it looks quite good. I don't really have any device that I can do it on, so I appreciate that.
As for the overall design, I'm still working on it. Been lazy lately.
Thanks for the input :)
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Hiya Kspore!

I know I am butting in at quite a late stage, but I have always found it helpful to use simple shapes like circles, boxes & triangles to construct drawings (see this page http://johnkstuff.blogspot.co.za/2006/0 ... n.html?m=1 as an example). It is also very difficult to create a perfectly symmetrical image unless you are using digital media, so I'd suggest drawing profile (side) or three-quarter views. Good luck - you've already improved!
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Thanks but don't really have a platform to use devices.
Don't have a laptop or printer, my stubby fingers make it impossible to use my tab for this. And my phone is just pathetic.
That's why I have been drawing them :(

But thanks for the input, I will try it. :)
Niexie
Species: Vixen

Post by Niexie »

I can try to help out but with an already existing base.

Ill colour it in for free for ya , just give me tons of info of what you want :)
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Carrousel_Studios wrote:I can try to help out but with an already existing base.

Ill colour it in for free for ya , just give me tons of info of what you want :)
Thanks for the offer but I have been getting help some people in how to do character design and would like to try that out. (And I also really want to do it myself :) )
And if all goes to hell, I will ask someone for help then :)
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

If I may:

You've chose then hardest angle to draw anything at because of the need for forshortening.
I would suggest this:

Start by drawing a side on profile, one of each side. The shape of a wolf head to the side is simple and good practice. Once you have this down, try a three quarter view (like the first of Cape_Fox's drawings), as it is still not too technical. Once you have this down. Go for nose on (portrait).

Take it step by step.

Learn the simple things first, start with what is easy to obtain so you gain confidence. You say you aren't creative but look at what you've already achieved, half the people on this forum wouldn't be able to draw that head, you're already a step ahead of them.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Thanks Raven, that really helps. :)
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Okay, it has been a while since the last update on my progress. I have started with the overall design of the character. I only learned recently how to go about creating it, please I know I'm not the best, I know where my mistakes are and I need help to fix them and not just to be pointed out. And I have said this before but I will again, I don't have anything that can use a template effectively, please don't say I need to use one. I really can't, but they do help to look at.
I also tend to have my fursona in a portrait view, and any tips on foreshortening will help.
And here is my latest draft of Kspore. :)
Attachments
IMG_20160704_205235.jpg
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

That is actually not terrible at all. The proportions are pretty good on the whole. I would say you just need to practice some observation & apply it when you're sketching.

For example - I can tell you are going for more human-like anatomy. So literally google pics search "foot" & check out pictures of feet from many different angles. Try to copy them by looking at them & then drawing, looking, drawing etc. You will start noticing that each body part can be made from simple shapes (eg a hand is basically a box with elongated ovals coming off it). Try breaking down the shapes. Draw a whole page of feet, a whole page of hands, a whole page of eyes - THEN try to connect everything you've learnt.

Your first 100 tries will be dismal, but each time you draw you will get better. Practice, practice, practice!
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Hi, its been a while since I posted something here. So here is an update on my "progress".
Sorry, I really messed up on the construction of the arms and hands.
Again, any suggestions will help. I'm still learning how to draw, any tips will be appreciated.
And sorry the picture is so poor. :lol:
Attachments
IMG_20160804_205604.jpg
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

I think that actually turned out fairly well. There are some details that I really like (the feet for instance are pretty great). I do have a few suggestions though. I am still very much learning how to draw myself, but have learned a couple things along the way...
First, it seems that you've kept most of your construction lines in the picture. I doubt that that's entirely intentional (but you're welcome to say that I'm wrong). If you want to avoid it in the future, I would suggest that you need to start out by drawing very faint lines on the paper to build off of, starting with basic geometric shapes (circles, triangles, etc) and working to more complex ones. Once you have a more complex shape that you're happy with, I would then make some darker lines to outline it, and erase most of the earlier lines. In the one drawing class I took, we were taught to work from light to dark, and from simple to complex, and this has helped me immensely in my own drawing. (If I didn't make what I mean here clear enough, feel free to let me know)
Another thing I would suggest is that you try out some different poses and head positions. Your improvement is noticeable, but it seems like you haven't changed the pose of your 'Sona at all throughout your drawings. I think you'll be able to get a much better idea of them if they're doing something different every now and then. :D More than that though, trying out new things will likely help you improve at drawing quite a bit.
Hands are hard to draw. One thing that has really helped me was being taught to start with a 'mitten' shape for hands, and then add detail from there. This has helped me out a lot with proportions and shaping hands in general.
Probably the best advice I can offer though is this: don't be afraid of failure. This is something that I've been learning myself. I have made some remarkably awful drawings, but I think that each one has helped me to improve, and aided me in reaching what few successes I have had. You will likely make some things that embarrass you, but if you keep trying, you will also be able to make some things you can be proud of too.
Take all of this with a grain of salt. There are much better artists on the forum than me. However, I hope that this might help a bit.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Thanks Trace, any advice will be helpful :)