How to explain furry to people?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

How to explain furry to people?

Post by Randall »

So yesterday I tried to explain to a colleague at work what it means to be furry?

Obviously he thought I was totally weird and now thinks I am insane. So this got me thinking.

How do you explain this to people best, so they understand what you are, and don't think you're a freak or a pedo?

Any ideas?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Re: How to explain furry to people?

Post by Helios_phi »

Eh, we've done this before.
There is nothing to explain.
Peeps should break away from the need to 'be' a furry.
We're all just normal people who happen to enjoy artwork that features anthro animals.
Nothing weird about liking teenage girls.... whoops, I meant teenage mutant ninja turtles.
[REDACTED]
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Fans of cartoon animals.

And yes people will think it is weird cause it is quirky and childish. The best is to just try be a likable or funny person so that people link it to something positive.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Well yes, as you know I am a very big fan of the blue anthro hedgehog, and indeed people identify with me about it, but, yeah, the moment you say something along the lines of fursuits etc.. they go all weird.

The conversation arised because I often do office memes with Sonic saying really funny stuff...
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

EDIT: I was writing this this post when there were still no replies. Had to tend to some work along the way so it took me a while. Sorry if I have not updated it with reference to the comments made after the OP.

Hello Sonic. :)

I try to make it sound as mundane and familiar as possible.

I tell people that it's a group for gaming, movie, art, and other entertainment media enthusiasts who think that anthropomorphic characters such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Rocket Raccoon, the dragons from How To Train Your Pet Dragon, and Worgen and Tauren from World of Warcraft "are cool."

When asked what furries do, tell them that they generally just discuss games, movies, books and series which feature those characters in them, create their own characters, make fan art, and generally just socialize like most hobby or enthusiast groups would. If you're feeling confident, tell that some people will even dress up in costumes, just like Star Wars fans would.

The key is to keep your explanation familiar as possible. If you reference characters or media which they are familiar with, and compare it to fandoms which they are familiar with - such as trekkies, Star Wars fans, anime fans etc. - then it will seem less foreign and strange to them, and they will be more accepting of it. Take it slow, and hide your excitement when explaining it to them. Rather your friends think you are boring than an insane freak or pedo. ;)

You can always introduce them in incremental stages to the full oddity of the fandom (like fursona making, fursuiting and conventions) at a later stage if they are still interested. :P

I would avoid telling colleagues about it though: nobody at work needs to know. Rather talk about your other interests and hobbies at work.
Hahaha! :lol:
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

It's cause for some furries wearing fursuits makes them feel comfortable or something weird like that. And it's the worst description ever. It points peoples heads into the direction that it's some kind of different mindset. Different is the key word here that immediately introduces a negative idea.

These ideas primarily include Social Anxiety. Hence thinking that furries are social rejects.

The truth however is that most fursuiters only wear the thing during a convention or get together where they can actually be entertainers for people to see.

It's not easy cause it's new to them. But this is also really important for the furry that is explaining to understand.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Good points taken.

I only mentioned it because I was asked about Sonic, and why I seem to be so into Sonic, by one person at work.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

My mother still thinks that we're all a bunch of oversexualized freaks.

The only advice that I can really give is try and underplay the whole thing.
I can't see the benefit in trying to familiarize people with it, and in extreme cases you risk being ostracized.

What's being a furry all about? Zootopia.
Randall

Post by Randall »

My mother still thinks I am childish and I have regressed into childhood.

I have been isolated, alone, and felt very estranged at times. Had I known the forum was around since '08 I think things would have been pretty different for me, but the main thing is, that thread on MyBroadband, that Inpw started, it led me here. That was an awesome idea to get those of us who didn't know about this place, to come over.

By my nature I am a proud person, so sometimes I feel the compelling need to tell people stuff to understand me better.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

My furryness is a running gag on mybb.co.za but when the real questions fire up in the meets I have to explain to my best potential without confusing anyone. The Tyra Banks show popped up in those conversations and I have to try and not defend. Which is hard when it's the media incident that I despise most. Defense means I'm being offended.

But I don't care if people ask me stuff. I'm honest in this regard. I'm just afraid that the person who rather shouldn't talk decided to be a self proclaimed ambassador for the entire fandom and is just as honest as I am.

I did this vent with the topic included a few weeks ago: http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3559
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Link to the thread on MyBroadBand?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I managed to explain it to a 70-something-year-old lady by saying that we're people who like characters like Bugs Bunny and sometimes like to dress up like them because it's fun to unleash your inner child, and it feels great to turn people's heads with wacky costumes. She laughed and that was it.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Leeward wrote:I managed to explain it to a 70-something-year-old lady by saying that we're people who like characters like Bugs Bunny and sometimes like to dress up like them because it's fun to unleash your inner child, and it feels great to turn people's heads with wacky costumes. She laughed and that was it.
That's cool. That's a great way of handling it. Will keep that in mind...
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:Link to the thread on MyBroadBand?
Donno which one you want but here's the first one:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... sk-a-Furry!

Since then all sort of madness happened including 3 mybb meets.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

Back when I joined my mother asked what the forum is about, and I just told her its for people who like characters like Ratchet from R&C, or bugs bunny or such and she's never bothered me about it since, even when I told her I'm meeting people from here. Was lucky in that regard.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Randall

Post by Randall »

My wife is happy I found this place?
Why? Because at least then I am not driving her mad with Sonic. Remember, my son and I play together, a lot of that is rping, and general silliness with Sonic, Toothless the Dragon, you name it.

She also states that because I isolate myself so much from others with similar interests, I am very poor in the social skills department at times, I cannot really talk to people sometimes. Remember that in high school I was found out to be a furry, and they used that in every way imaginable to discredit me and ram me into the ground. Back then I was a racoon, until Sonic was created.

My opinion on fursuits are that its great to go to a con dressed up as your fursona. That is what it is for me. I like RPing very much, because that's what I have been doing for years and years, and I also like the artistic side as well as the literary side. I also like anime, but that's not relevant to this forum.

Sonic The Hedgehog exposed me to the whole furry world at large. There has been Sonic yiff going back to at least 1995, there's been tons of fanfiction, fan comics, you name it. There's even been crossovers into other animals many of you identify with.

Even on MyBB, before I got banned for reasons unknown, people used to take a stab at my avatar, and my handle.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Ahhh jeez stabbed for a sonic avatar pffft... laraC has a frekin mlp avatar and I stabbed her with this. :lol:
Randall

Post by Randall »

LOL...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That was surprisingly boring. Most people took it as a joke, and very few actually asked proper questions.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

How to explain furry to people? DON'T. Being proud of your furriness is all well and good, but letting non-furs find out about it only creates problems.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

its easier for me to explain furry...
I just say "I have vivid fantasies about being a dragon/shark/hydra"
and they all go and say something along the lines of "Oh yea it would be cool to be a dragon/shark/hydra"

Though I don't tell them about the sex part or my gender identity
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

To be honest, the people on this forum who take their "furry-ness" especially seriously tend to annoy the living _ out of me.

*Swooshes his tail*

For the most part, we are perfectly "normal" people who just happen to like cartoon animals. Trying to justify that to other people seems like a waste of effort.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Okay point taken. Its just I get annoyed when people at work try and pry... that's all.

I would venture to say we are extremely smart people, above average intelligence is my experience.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:To be honest, the people on this forum who take their "furry-ness" especially seriously tend to annoy the living _ out of me.
Like?
Randall

Post by Randall »

Probably referring to me. Well let's be honest here, man I am excited, for the first time in friggen 5 -10years I find a forum where I am accepted, and the people are nice and I actually really like the folks on the forum. So of course I am going to go a little bit off the rails and be proud etc... etc... Sorry about that, its kind of hard not to be excited these days...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

No I'm pretty sure he meant folks who constantly RP and wear nylon dog collars out in public and such. There's no need to make a spectacle of yourself.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Inpw wrote:
Sev wrote:To be honest, the people on this forum who take their "furry-ness" especially seriously tend to annoy the living _ out of me.
Like?
Do you really need me to list them?

Sonic, no, you are not on the list.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Well yeah that is true.
As for how far I go? Well I don't have a fursuit. I would like to make one for conventions but that's all.
I have a few Sonic t-shirts, and that's about it.

But other things, like toys, plushies, well yes, mad about those.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Sev wrote:
Inpw wrote:
Like?
Do you really need me to list them?

Sonic, no, you are not on the list.
I think he was looking for more examples rather than names
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Sev's 4 questions to determine whether or not you belong on his list:

1) Do write thing like "murzie purzie" over every thread?
2) Do you pretend to be your 'sona on this forum? *Swishes his tail*
3) Do you say things like "being a furry is my entire life"?
4) Do you try way too hard to "be" a furry?