How to explain furry to people?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Re: How to explain furry to people?

Post by Ryall »

Helios_phi wrote:...
But that's just my opinion.
I agree with you, Helios.

I don't want this to turn into some kind of competition about who is the 'least furry.' If I come home and take off my tie after a day of work, and I feel like talking about how I wish I was an anthropomorphic hyena in real life, or I start babbling on like a child about how I wish I had the power to change into a dragon like Jake Long, American Dragon, then that's what I'm going to post about. I expect there to be an audience to my post who will also revel in my weird fantasies with me. :P

We're not making fun of the Meowzi Pweowzi furs for being too furry (they're not 'too furry'): we're making fun of them because they were acting absurdly.

That's not to say we're bullies. We're all part of the same community, and we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously that we can't poke fun at ourselves every now and then.

That's not to say we never behave childishly and do frivolous things either: of course we do. We're here to have fun, so let's all just relax a little.

@ Sev, you're talking crap: you love all the artwork of your fursona; you wish you were your fursona irl; you look at yiff and have a corruption fetish; you refer to your partner by his fursona species; you bought yourself and your partner 'tails;' and all you want to do at furmeets is hug. You're one of the furriest fur fags I know.

As for Fluke, he actually was on ZAFur before I joined. When I met him, his fursona was a fox. He then went through that brony phase, now he's an anime girl, but one day I have hopes he will come back to the fun. He still has a soft spot for Tigress, from KFP.
Hahaha! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote:@ Sev, you're talking crap: you love all the artwork of your fursona; you wish you were your fursona irl; you look at yiff and have a corruption fetish; you refer to your partner by his fursona species; you bought yourself and your partner 'tails;' and all you want to do at furmeets is hug. You're one of the furriest fur fags I know.
A-fucking-men. :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Ryall wrote: @ Sev, you're talking crap: you love all the artwork of your fursona; you wish you were your fursona irl; you look at yiff and have a corruption fetish; you refer to your partner by his fursona species; you bought yourself and your partner 'tails;' and all you want to do at furmeets is hug. You're one of the furriest fur fags I know.
"I still do like to do furry stuff in appropriate contexts."

Being a furry is something deeply personal to me, and, as a result, I tend to be quite reserved about it.
The Cow wrote:*chews grass like a silly old moo*
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I keep missing the "to" in the title so think we're trying to explain furry people...

that's men (and Portuguese women) who didn't shave this morning...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

I couldn't have put it better than Ryall did that's for sure. And sev, I guess it's all personal to all of us (well to Mr at least too). But hey, I guess we all handle things differently (heh... difFURently). But eh, you're a fur through and through I'm sure about that :p
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other

Post by Adagio »

Sonic2k wrote:I do have a YouTube channel though, but that's for all the tech stuff I do, people like to see things being taken apart
Ooh! Link? I'd love to subscribe! I love seeing things taken apart!
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Adagio wrote:
Sonic2k wrote:I do have a YouTube channel though, but that's for all the tech stuff I do, people like to see things being taken apart
Ooh! Link? I'd love to subscribe! I love seeing things taken apart!
www.youtube.com/user/miyukisan782
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

Sev wrote:
"I still do like to do furry stuff in appropriate contexts."

Being a furry is something deeply personal to me, and, as a result, I tend to be quite reserved about it.
i get the feeling that you are slightly embarrassed about being a fur?
every time the "people acting like 7 year olds" go all befloofed and start doing their murry purry role play in public you think to yourself "oh god, this is what people see and think i do" right?

tis quite understandable and that’s a pretty normal reaction. but you have to bear in mind that to each his own. some people like acting like 7 year olds and there is nothing wrong with that. you can't go judging people just because they have no shame and do silly stuff in public view. most of the people that discriminate against furries are people who really ARE furries but strongly try to deny it. both to themselves and others. the same can be said about a lot of people who discriminate against gay people.

you would like to live in a world where people don't lie to you right? that’s only going to be possible if you are willing to accept and try to understand others, and not simply judge them.
it takes real courage to be honest to others but it takes even more courage to be honest with yourself.

NOW LETS ALL HUGGZIES!
lol, JK... but seriously though... judging people is bad, m'kay.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I tend to find immature, over the top behavior grating regardless of the circumstances.
Randall

Post by Randall »

Sev wrote:I tend to find immature, over the top behavior grating regardless of the circumstances.
I think that applies to everything, not just furry fandom
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That's what I meant by "regardless of the circumstances".
Randall

Post by Randall »

Cool, glad I understand you better :)
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

Sev wrote:I tend to find immature, over the top behavior grating regardless of the circumstances.
*sigh* in some cases i'm going to have to agree with you on that...
BUT! some may find a part of your personality grating. hehe, i know people find parts of my personality grating.
if everyone immediately just started yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU GODAMN ANNOYING FREAK!" every time someone does something that bothers them, then as a species we will probably spend all day yelling that to each other.
hence we all have to nurture a concept of tolerance. i'm not saying that you should just endure everything that bothers you, just take into consideration that the person is probably not doing it with the intent to annoy you. if it really bothers you so much and you are not in a position to just walk away there is really nothing wrong with just politely asking them to stop.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...