Furry Words

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.

What do you think about furry words like yiff, furiend, murr etc?

Furs must use them
16%
I use most but only online
37%
Some are good but it can get childish
47%
They're stupid. English already has enough words
No votes

Total votes: 19
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Furry Words

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I use some furry words like mate, murr and yiff but some furs seem to try to add fur onto everything. e.g. furson, furiend, fursecution, furvert. To me that seems kinda childish. How many furry words do you use and do you feel a need to add fur onto everything you say?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dualsa
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Blue Point Siamese or Husky
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Re: Furry Words

Post by Dualsa »

I agree with you on this point. While there's good point to modifying some English words into furry specific words, that doesn't mean you need to do it for EVERY SINGLE WORD.

Really now.
Back after a long absence! Sometimes Siamese, sometimes Husky. Can't blame me for indecision, just gief me feesh :V
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Post by anoyomouse »

I use a lot of them RL when referring to furs, on normal people i tend not to ... there comes a point between using it, and letting yourself get away with using it too much.

Personally i Murr IRL, and i know a fur who's Murr of satisfaction is soooo worth doing anything for, just so you can hear it more often, another one fur knows exactly who i'm talking about, and no he's not on the forums.

Also there's a dragon that makes .. what can only be called dragon noises IRL, which is actually quite cute, and if yoou get used to it, he's baslcally got his own way of communicating, BUT, there comes a point, it depends on who's doing it and why they are doing it.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

Personally I don't really use any of these terms, but I've never been interested in things like RP, which is probably a part of it. Set definitions like the word yiff, of course, but never really used descriptions like "my paws" etc. in general chatting as I've seen others do.. and only recently came across terms like furiend etc.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Yukon could be correct, it could be RP-related as well :) Personally I often think in those terms, so using them online is very easy. I often catch myself thinking things like: "...but on the other paw, if you consider ...." and only catching the reference a while into the thought. Using terms like that helps me feel closer to my furry self, more connected.

My vote is actually somewhere between 1 and 2, use it IRL as well, but only where appropriate. If I am with a group of furs, I wouldn't feel bad using it at all, it might be hard not to use it. Similarly, I've got some friend (not furiends, as they are not furs :) ) that are avid Trekkies. With them I wouldn't hesitate to make a lot of ST jokes and references, or (since they are also role-players) a lot of references to various terms there.

EDIT: Terms like furson and furiend and so on all pertain to furs. Would this semantically include scalies as well? Some I met consider themselves furs, and some don't like to be put under the same banner. I would be inclined to just add everyone in the same logical pile, though.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Scalies fall into the big fluffy pile we like calling furs, so yeah, they go there too.

of course unless the scalies feel like they WANT to be thier own pile, then we could make a plan ;)
~~~(___^> *squeak*
elysium
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Emperor Penguin

Post by elysium »

Hmm... I'll admit, I do use fur words a lot, but I don't slap 'fur' onto the beginning of random words.