An epiphany that meant allot

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

An epiphany that meant allot

Post by YoteFox »

For a while now I have been wondering, pondering no rather thinking about my existence in this here community. Why am I here, why do I actively(or more passively these days) participate in a online community and keep doing so even though it takes allot of time and effort. I kept pinning it on.... See even as I write this I hit a total blank when it comes to that question or rather answer.

I have still until today for the life of me not figured out what it is about this freaky anthropomorphic over sexualised(Bring on the hate) online community that attracts me to it, well until very recently. Yes at some stage I thought it was the yiff and the yiff only but that is narrow minded. Idiotic if you will. As a person that is able to pronounce words, walk and talk surely there must be something more compelling to the fandom than pictures of anthropomorphic animals doing the nasty.

This sent me into a thinking spiral if I may state it so, I spent more than a year wondering about this fascination. I eventually arrived back at the yiff again, but not the hetero sexual type. I started thinking maybe I am attracted to the more male homosexual aspects and yet no it didn't do anything for me. Though I do have a deep appreciation for the various art style of all yiff and I do mean all yiff. Especially the anatomy of most characters and I do find it interesting seeing how most artists draw the estranged art.

Being straight in the furry fandom is sometimes really hard. Most good literature, art, comics etc are catered to the masses of the fandom being Bi-curious and Homosexual (Yes I know there are many various sexuality but please bear with me). So I arrived at a point where I started thinking maybe I am Bi-Curious. I started looking into more Bi things, no need to mention, and yeah it was interesting and again I did appreciate the art but no. Nothing does it more for me than a sexy Vixen or female sharky, instant nose bleed. Right, so now having explored my sexuality to a degree I found that I am straight up hetero sexual.

So if it's not my sexuality and not a sexual attraction what is it then? At this point I started questioning everything. My general thinking was that I do not fit here, I fit nowhere. Why am I wasting so much time on this crap. For some time I was inactive, yes furries did often pop up in my mind but I shook it off and continued my day.

I was fursuiting at rAge when it hit me, the reason why I am a furry and what makes me fit into this crazy online community is fursuiting. I love it, I look at fursuits into late night hours, gathering ideas for making suits. Gathering pricing info to save for a commission one day from PhoenixWolfSuits. My true passion in the fandom is fursuiting. I have come to the realisation that it is a form of art, each suit created each thought processed each and every design made is the artistic process of the creation of wearable pieces of art. Now I understand pricing, now I understand the hype behind fursuits. It's more than just being a furry and being weird, it's about creating your own art and seeing it come to life.

Many people see it as simply fursuiting your character or cosplaying yet it is so much more than just that. I smile the whole time when creating the pieces, I thoroughly enjoy it. Yes my dad doesn't understand why I am suddenly spending so much money on materials, needles, foam, thread and a sewing machine. His son is now doing needle work with a sewing machine WTF! For the first two or three commissions I did I would hide this from my dad, waiting for him not to be home. But I don't care I enjoy being artistic for once in my life.

Now I take my sewing machine on vacations XD I completed more than one commission on vacation because I enjoyed it. Making my fursuit head was a stressful blast.

Yes I know I talked about myself allot in this post but I wrote what came to mind and that was my personal experience with our cooky crazy fandom. I think my existence in this fandom is a sure thing, for something that I have so much passion for I wouldn't easily give up.

I have decided to not let my sexuality come in the way with this fandom. I have seen many times how sexuality, love, relationship and now hate destroy someone's interest in the fandom (Yes I know quite a touchy topic, lets move on)

I will never stop liking yiff though :lol:

I am actually planning on starting a fursuit creation business and I will do some practice whilst doing my degree. My degree is quite tedious and long and I have to work very hard for a few years to achieve the CA(SA) qualification. But my plan is still to start the fursuit business at some point in time. For now I might take some commissions to practice during my vacations. My greatest concern is what the demand really is like for fursuits in SA.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: That title was driving me crazy...
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
YoteFox

Re: An appifany that meant allot

Post by YoteFox »

I should actually rather have posted this in my FA Journals, dawned on me this morning. Thanks to those who have read it.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I read it, and I now feel as though I understand you better. It was worthwhile posting it here.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng

Post by Tocs »

It's always good to write all of this out, almost therapeutic in a sense. We all have our reasons for joining the fandom and honestly, by you posting this it not only clears up some things for you. But I'm sure it will have others thinking too. And trust me.. In South Africa, I'm pretty sure starting a fursuiting business will not go unnoticed especially with the quality and effort you put into your creations. I don't know about others but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we're here to support you every step of the way :)
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm just going to share my parallel of your experience, because I relate to a lot of what you said. Joining this community had me question my sexuality for the first time in my life, and yet didn't change it, only helped me define/refine it. I've also found that what I enjoy the most out of the fandom is the sense of belonging to a community of accepting and like-minded individuals, and of course working on my suit and wearing it. Like you, when I work on my suit I'm smiling the whole time. I've only worn it out once, but I have to admit that it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I can't wait to finish the full version, and I can't wait to wear it out again.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Bring it to work on Monday!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ehhh, maybe not... I don't want to become the local weirdo and/or get fired on my first day. XD I'll bring my gloves if you bring your tail?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Sure.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

I'm glad I could've been able to shed some light on you guys about me.

Yes I love writing, it helps me come to grips with some emotional turmoil that I have from time to time. I have a whole folder of writing that gets very personal on my pc.

I have gone through allot of emotional ups and down since joining the fandom and I am now finally at peace since I understand my place in the fandom now. I hated being passive and not contributing in any way.

Thus I am a fursuit artist and this makes me happy I now know I belong
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Speaking of which, my marvelous Lion wants a tail. The obvious choice would be the same place that he bought my tail from (the name escapes me at the moment). Do you think that you would be able to make a good quality lion tail?
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

I often do writings like these too. Thought are sometimes hard to process, and writing helps structure it... It's nice. And also gives us insight into your thoughts, which is also really nice.

I'm really glad about your passion for fursuiting. Not my area of expertise, but I can appreciate the art. Keep doing what you love, and you'll be more than fine
Mew?
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Sev wrote:Speaking of which, my marvelous Lion wants a tail. The obvious choice would be the same place that he bought my tail from (the name escapes me at the moment). Do you think that you would be able to make a good quality lion tail?
Yes I would probably be able to. Though I am not open for commissions as of yet, still need to get my workshop up and running. But I would be able to do so. I will announce when I am ready for commissions ^.^
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Rocket_Dog
Species: Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Post by Rocket_Dog »

This fandom can mean different things to different people. Some are here for the art part of it, and some for the social aspects or simply the ability to escape from normality for a bit, some might treat it as a fetish of sorts. I don't think there's a "right way" to be a fur. It's what you make of it.

Personally I enjoyed the errr "revealing art" long before I decided to become involved in the community. But chatting with you folks really brightens my day just because everyone's so damn diverse and different! I've really started to respond to this community more and more.

Also I never really thought about straight furs actually being the minority. On the sexuality part of it, congrats on more or less figuring out what you're comfortable with. Heck what you're attracted to shouldn't be as important as who the person you're attracted to is in my opinion.

Thanks for writing though, it got me thinking.