Your Fursona

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Linea
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: animal
Region: Western Cape

Your Fursona

Post by Linea »

Obligatory "I did do a search and I didn't see a topic like this recently. Also I hope this is in the right section!" post. xD

I'm very curious about the whole idea of a fursona. I'm having trouble with my identity, and the idea of a fursona is just up in the air for me. I suppose I'm still 'coming out' to myself. So I thought I'd ask you peeps about you and your 'sonas!

For me, I think it is a process of choice, rather than discovery. I'm sure I identify with the animal far more than as the animal - I'm not even sure that is possible! I think of my soon-to-be-determined fursona as a character that can be enacted. Or that I'd like to enact. I said in my introduction post I have always been interested in messing with identities etc. After all, one's experience of others is very limited: in each person's head is a mind as complex as yours is, with its own thoughts, hopes, emotions and all. A person barely knows their own mind - you get ideas and inspiration as if from thin air sometimes, without knowing where it came from - but yet we interact with others who are just as complex on a daily basis. That thought messes with my head, and I think that's why I'm interested in the idea of bending my identity, or the way my mind works. I think a fursona is one way of doing that.

OK so now I've rambled on so long, here is/are the question(s):
What process did you go through discovering or choosing your 'sona? Was is a choice or a discovery? Do you identify with the animal, or as the animal? It it fluid, or do you stick to one kind/type? What is your opinion on adopting aspects of your 'sona into your own personality? Is your 'sona part of your personality or is it a separate facet of the same person? Or is it a separate being entirely, like a character you enact? Is this something that everyone can access, or is the idea of a fursona only suited to certain people?
There was a sudden sunburst in my head.
And then black night. That blackness was sublime.
I felt distributed through space and time
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: Your Fursona

Post by Franky »

A wedge in my personality used as an internet alias. Not a lifestyler, not a otherkin or anything. Had a sona before I even joined the furry community and is probably a direct result of my interest in ancient Egyptian mythology and Science fiction.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

First of all, let me address those questions.

What process did you go through discovering or choosing your 'sona?
My initial choice of species was quick, but I took quite some time developing the character herself. My Greek Zodiac sign is Taurus, and I've always identified with the personality traits associated with it, despite not actually believing in that rubbish. Those traits include realism, honesty, patience, stubbornness, trustworthiness, pragmatism, sensuality, and wisdom. I find that they fit the symbol of the Bull quite well, and so the choice was obvious. At first I called myself a minotauress, then a Tauren, and now finally a Tauren-like anthro cow. I changed the colour scheme a few times, and eventually settled on something that I think reflects my inner personality.

Was is a choice or a discovery?
A bit of both, but mostly a choice. The discovery of similarities came after the choice. If I'd found that I'd made a choice that matched poorly, I would have changed it.

Do you identify with the animal, or as the animal?
With the personality traits the animal shows in itself, and those it symbolises.

It it fluid, or do you stick to one kind/type?
Pretty stable.

What is your opinion on adopting aspects of your 'sona into your own personality?
I haven't, they were already there, and I made the 'sona to match my personality. My 'sona doesn't change who I am, it is only a reflection of who I am within and don't show to others when I wear my day-to-day "mask".

Is your 'sona part of your personality or is it a separate facet of the same person?
Neither. It's a character that shows all of your facets, instead of just those the real you shows to other people.

Or is it a separate being entirely, like a character you enact?
It is, but it isn't, if that makes sense. It's not a part of me, it's a representation of my inner self. In a way it's also a character I enact, because I am not my real self in public, whereas as "Leeward" I can do and say whatever I feel like.

Is this something that everyone can access, or is the idea of a fursona only suited to certain people?
People are all different, and only they can tell whether an alter ego would suit them, and by extension how much it means to them. A fursona is something quite personal, because it's not just a character, it's a character that represents you. It can be as simple as a kawaii potato, or as complex as a custom-designed closed species with all the colours of the rainbow.

Don't overthink it. It's something fun. You can always change it later if you find it doesn't suit you or that you've changed or grown out of it.

Personally I think an owl would fit you quite well, as you seem rather pensive and philosophical.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

For some people a fursona is a very deep, complicated matter, but for me it's always been ridiculously simple. I'll take a crack at these questions, but a lot of them ask far more than my easy answers can provide.
Linea wrote: What process did you go through discovering or choosing your 'sona?
None whatsoever. When I realised I was a furry I simply knew right from the very first second that my 'sona would be a bat.
Linea wrote:Was is a choice or a discovery?
Neither. It was just an instant knowledge kind of thing.
Linea wrote:Do you identify with the animal, or as the animal?
I do like bats. They're fascinating creatures, but I don't really identify with or as them. Most of them live together in groups (sometimes numbering in the thousands), whereas I can't stand to be around other people.

I do hate sunlight, though. :P
Linea wrote:It it fluid, or do you stick to one kind/type?
I'll stick to my 'sona till the day I die. I haven't changed him once, and I don't intend to.
Linea wrote:What is your opinion on adopting aspects of your 'sona into your own personality?
My 'sona is simply me. He might be slightly more idealised, but we're basically the same.
Linea wrote:Is your 'sona part of your personality or is it a separate facet of the same person?Or is it a separate being entirely, like a character you enact?
Again, there isn't any difference between us. He is me. That might be overly simple, but it's the truth.
Linea wrote:Is this something that everyone can access, or is the idea of a fursona only suited to certain people?
I think a lot of people make use of persona's without even realising it, whether it be an avatar or a fictional character or even just a name to use online. Anyone can imagine themselves to be anything they can think of. It really is as simple as that.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Contrast wrote:
Linea wrote:It it fluid, or do you stick to one kind/type?
I'll stick to my 'sona till the day I die. I haven't changed him once, and I don't intend to.
Batman.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Well it is an extremely interesting topic, as the amount of different responses you can receive is so vast that you may not even receive a concise answer at all, maybe even make you more confused, or maybe clear it up for you entirely, like you said. No one knows each other's minds.. We are all different, and there are aspects of ourselves that we don't even know ourselves.

Here is my opinions on my fursona.

What process did you go through discovering or choosing your 'sona?

Like Leeward, I knew without a doubt in my mind that I am a domestic dog. But it took quite a long time to discover the species. I discovered it recently I believe through my close connection with working at the vets and the SPCA and working with all of the puppies and dogs there, and well, I associated extremely closely, in terms of personality, with huskies. I mean, I feel that once you know what your species is, you will know for sure, it will just click if that makes sense.

Was it a choice or a discovery?

I'd say mine was more of a discovery than a choice.

Do you identify with the animal, or as the animal?

With personality traits and my close association with huskies (especially in my life). I can safely say I identify as the animal.

Is it fluid, or do you stick to one kind/type?

I know for a fact that I wont change my fursona. I'm a husky till the day I die :D!

What is your opinion on adopting aspects of your 'sona into your own personality?

Well due to some of my personality traits being closely associated, I believe that it isn't adopting some aspects, but more like it was already incorporated into me if that makes sense. My fursona is in a way adapted to my personality. My fursona is me :D

Is your 'sona part of your personality or is it a separate facet of the same person?

I agree with Leeward here. My fursona is me, it shows all of my facets. I feel as though that my fursona is me, but with personaility traits that are hidden deep within me, that I am too afraid to show in my daily life (for example, my fursona is outgoing where as I am shy)

Is this something that everyone can access, or is the idea of a fursona only suited to certain people?

Everyone is different and everyone sees things differently, I would be a liar if I said I knew the answer to that.

I cannot speak for other furries, but if by some amazing random bizarre way, we, as humans, will be able to "transform" into our fursonas, I'd take that opportunity in a heart beat.

You are meant to have fun with discovering and choosing your fursona, and well you will know when you know, try not to overthink it that much.

I hope this rant has helped and not confused you even further
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Neon
Species: Huskeh
Region: Other

Post by Neon »

If you want a serious answer as to why I chose my sona and what it means to me.... just look up a little bit :P

But c'mon.... its a husky. A HUSKY! What's not to love? Huskies are just awesome! Like seriously. I love my sona. Its my first one, and probably my only one for the foreseeable future. And its Neon blue. Isnt that just epic?

:D
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Neon wrote:If you want a serious answer as to why I chose my sona and what it means to me.... just look up a little bit :P

But c'mon.... its a husky. A HUSKY! What's not to love? Huskies are just awesome! Like seriously. I love my sona. Its my first one, and probably my only one for the foreseeable future.
There is that too! How can you not love us :D
And das not good
Linea
Species: animal
Region: Western Cape

Post by Linea »

OK you people are pretty cool. :)

Thank you so much for your honest answers!

I'm pretty overwhelmed but what seems to be coming out, and this is something that particularly caught my eye, is the idea that the fursona is a 'window' into the part of the personality that isn't otherwise expressed. Leeward, you said it is "a reflection of who [you are] within and don't show to others" and Tocs you said "traits that are hidden... that I am too afraid to show" and even Inpw to a certain extent, using his 'sona as an "alias". I think it's a very useful 'mask', like any other mask a person may use day-to-day, but it just so happen to take animal form and animal characteristics. Even my 'sona, which is just the name 'Linea', has allowed me to say and do things I otherwise would not have done or said.

All of you have said "don't overthink" in some way, its not the construction of my fursona that I am overthinking, its the significance of a fursona in terms of a persons identity that fascinate me. But like Contrast said:
Contrast wrote:...people make use of persona's without even realising it...
and that goes for any persona.

All in all I'm glad I found this community - it has given me a chance to 'normalise' myself. Thank you :)

Leeward wrote:...kawaii potato...
There was a sudden sunburst in my head.
And then black night. That blackness was sublime.
I felt distributed through space and time
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Inpw wrote:Batman.
Ew, no. I dislike Batman. I find him to be the most boring character in his entire franchise. Also, practically none of his gadgets would ever work in real life. Also, for someone labelled as a hero without powers, the way he leaps around and tosses villains through the air is laughable, and amounts to nothing more than lazy writing.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Contrast wrote:
Inpw wrote:Batman.
Ew, no. I dislike Batman. I find him to be the most boring character in his entire franchise. Also, practically none of his gadgets would ever work in real life. Also, for someone labelled as a hero without powers, the way he leaps around and tosses villains through the air is laughable, and amounts to nothing more than lazy writing.
OK. Manbat.

Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Inpw wrote: OK. Manbat.

I cant believe how much I laughed at this
And das not good
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

There actually is a Manbat in the DC universe, and yes, he is more interesting than Batman.

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Linea wrote:
Leeward wrote:...kawaii potato...
Haha I'm glad you caught that one! ;)
Kangee Gold
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Raven

Post by Kangee Gold »

My fursona is actually far less about being a furry and simply more of a comic or cartoon version of myself.

I chose a Raven because it is my favourite animal. It is my favourite animal because I identify a lot with (and as) them. I feel I have much the same personality and quirks as ravens do, and they are highly admirable creatures to me.

Other aspects of my 'sona are also more based on interesting storytelling than actual personal features (such as he's a magic user). My 'sona is based highly on me as a person, but the real me and "Kangee Gold" are definitely two separate entities. "Kangee" for example isn't much of a gamer or interested in IT as much as the real me.

The key personality traits that I share with Kangee I personally share with Ravens. Curiosity, cleverness, and ingenuity, along with a type of mischievous greed and penchant for annoying others until I get what I want out of them.

Also this:

Quick! Somebody chew on my nipples or we're all gonna die!
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

My fursona is basically an anthropomorphic version of myself. Well, I'm not green XD. However being a basic fur is boring and there are so little green foxes in the fandom. Uniqueness 1! I started of with a basic fox ref sheet and added what I felt looked good, as time passed I changed and changed into the look that I wanted it to be.

Foxes are awesome animals, but I didn't chose my sona for the animal though. I chose my sona because fox fursuits look awesome. But thats me.

Your sona will come to you.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

My fursona is completely detached from me as a individual. He is a super-villan planning on putting an end to furry-kind, and have the world reborn in fire... Renascentiam quod cinerosus

Of course, the part you're interested in. How I came to identify myself with Adagio, the Snow Leopard:

It all started out before I was a furry. I was browsing along, and came across a picture of Zakumi(The mascot for the 2010 Soccer thing...) and in the picture was a Snow Leopard. I knew about Snow Leopards... But never made the connection... So from there on, I only made minor changes, I used to be just a plain and simple Snow Leopard. I then started to change things around. Personalizing him, to the creature he is today.

I also happen to share quite a few personality traits with them:
I love the winter
I prefer to be solitaire
passionate hate for birds(Be afraid Kangee-Gold, be very afraid.... Haha! kidding...)
and a couple of others....

Although I am NOT in actuality a super-villan. His Evil side came to be whit my, as Sev put it so graciously, "spectacular implosion"(I have probably worn that out already, but I like the sound)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Adagio wrote:is a super-villan planning on putting an end to furry-kind
Adagio wrote:I prefer to be solitaire
Cards against furmanity?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Come again??
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

A super villain is someone who might plot to end humanity.
Solitaire is a widespread card game (though one assumes you probably meant solitary).
Cards against humanity is a new card game.
Furmanity is just playing with furries tendency to "furrify" words.
Since you said you like being a card game and are a villain and we're furry... cards against furmanity.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Tocs
The glowing blue panda

Post by Tocs »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Adagio wrote:is a super-villan planning on putting an end to furry-kind
Adagio wrote:I prefer to be solitaire
Cards against furmanity?
I see what you did there ;) (without the explanation)
And das not good
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:A super villain is someone who might plot to end humanity.
Solitaire is a widespread card game (though one assumes you probably meant solitary).
Cards against humanity is a new card game.
Furmanity is just playing with furries tendency to "furrify" words.
Since you said you like being a card game and are a villain and we're furry... cards against furmanity.
Hahahaha! Ooo! Ok! I didn't know about this "cards against humanity" thing... I kinda live under a rock...

That i did yes... Solitary...
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

I try not to go too deep into the imaginary stuff, I don't want to lose the real world to a fantasy one. Also what is cooler than having a fursona with your own background. Pretty awesome imo
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Kangee Gold
Species: Raven

Post by Kangee Gold »

Adagio wrote: passionate hate for birds(Be afraid Kangee-Gold, be very afraid.... Haha! kidding...)
The Avian Master Race fears not the mammalian disease! *goose steps* (because goose is a bird)
Quick! Somebody chew on my nipples or we're all gonna die!
Hushi_Yoshimoto
Species: Tusky (Tiger/Husky)
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Hushi_Yoshimoto »

Well what a question haha ...

I joined the furry fandom not to long ago and well i asked maself the very questions and well it was realy intresting how I came to be a husky ...

I asked my friend how he knew and he told me he did a fursona quiz .... so I thought that your Fursona is he animal you have always had a special connection with and mine was a tiger for some reason but then i did the quiz and it told me im a dog and i agreed cause dogs are loyal loving caring and understanding animals they dont judge their owners and from then on i thought i loved huskies and yea i chose to be a husky .... purple has always been my favourite colour and light blue is something i added to bring out the purple a bit .... i called my fursona Hushi cause i love japanese culture so i kept saying husky over and over till the name Hushi poped up ... and the surname Yashimoto followed ... i have no middle name but its not needed ... and ichose to have the Buddhist peace sign on my chest cause i believe in peace love equality fraturnity freedom understanding and wisdom and to respect others no matter what and to always forgive

My fursona isnt just a fursona ... its my soul its the inner me that is traped ... and one day when i put on my fursuit ill be Hushi ... Hushi only improves what is already there ... his personality is my personality but only inhanced cause he has a different identity

i love my fursona and he means the world to me ... just wish i could do a refrence design though

:3 <3
Peace , Love , Kindness , Wisdom , Cuddles , Tail , Understanding , Appreciation , Hugs , Yiff :P , Games , FURRIES !!!!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Hushi_Yashimoto wrote:i called my fursona Hushi cause i love japanese culture so i kept saying husky over and over till the name Hushi poped up
When I was a toddler I was given a little husky plushie, and I tried to say "husky" but all I could muster was "hashkey" and so that became its name. I still have that plushie.