The Furry Fandom presentation

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

The Furry Fandom presentation

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Since I am planning a talk for Eurofurence I decided to pull this up and share it. It's a 5 minute presentation I did for the communications module of my honours degree. We could do it on anything and I decided the furry fandom would be more interesting than my project, which we would talk about plenty of times anyway.
The Furry Fandom.pdf
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
I'm thinking I might try keep the same colour scheme for my future presentation.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Re: The Furry Fandom presentation

Post by Animew »

^_^ i think it's nice and informative looking. O_o but why is only furafinity mentioned on the website slide? well, despite the fact that it's mainstream and all the rest wouldn't fit in on the slide?
hehe, the statistics seemed a bit out of place all on their own without the accompanying speech though.
and i'd have liked to hear the story behind the publicity and fandom drama points, you wouldn’t perchance be willing to share the accompanying text would you?
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

There wasn't any text. It was a 5 minute talk with some questions afterwards. I don't write out talks because it should be something you know so it comes out naturally. Ideally it would be better with more info but you can see the pics I shared and the general points I covered (in brief).

FA isn't the only one mentioned, it's just that this was about 6 years ago. Inkbunny didn't exist. Weasyl didn't exist. Yiffstar is the site that later became SoFurry. Those on the website list were the big furry sites of the time and the percentage of furs that were on each one (out of those that did the furry survey). I think that data and the importance of art, music and writing is all from the 2008 furry survey.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

oh.jpg
...oh.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The layout, typesetting and colour scheme are a bit "meh" to be honest. It's cramped on the margins and has a lot of unnecessary negative space. The font should really be a sans-serif if it's shown as a slideshow; serif fonts are better suited to printed media. The cyan-on-black hurts the eyes a bit, I would rather go for electric blue on dark grey if you like the text lighter than the background. The tables and graphs could have been re-done according to your palette and style master, with the data credited, rather than pasted as images.

I can imagine the accompanying talk though, since I also prefer to improvise rather than rehearse presentations.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote:The layout, typesetting and colour scheme are a bit "meh" to be honest. It's cramped on the margins and has a lot of unnecessary negative space. The font should really be a sans-serif if it's shown as a slideshow; serif fonts are better suited to printed media. The cyan-on-black hurts the eyes a bit, I would rather go for electric blue on dark grey if you like the text lighter than the background. The tables and graphs could have been re-done according to your palette and style master, with the data credited, rather than pasted as images.
Yeah, the layout is not spectacular and I would do it differently today. I don't really see the issue with the colour though. I think it's softer than a plain inversion and looks nicer than with a light background. I might give the alternative colour scheme a try though and see how it looks when I put my new presentation together.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~