Pet peeves

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Pet peeves

Post by Leeward »

I thought this might be a nice idea for a "sharing" thread. Anybody got weird pet peeves, furry or not?

One of mine is that I can't stand it when people can't tell the difference between dragons and wyverns, or call one the other. In Western folklore, dragons have three pairs of limbs, of which two pairs of legs and one pair of wings; wyverns have two pairs of limbs, of which one pair of legs and one pair of wings. Seriously, it's not that hard, the least you can do is respect the lore you're representing. Offenders of note: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the movie), and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (the movie, obviously).
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Pet peeves

Post by Sev »

Wow, now that you point that out, that's actually bloody annoying.

Shame on you, Bethesda!
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

People who use the 'word' ridonculous. If it was a portmanteau of ridiculous and another word that would be acceptable, but it isn't. Also, social media icons in printed media.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

When people use clip and magazine interchangeably.

This is a clip:

This is a magazine:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

MontgomerySeven wrote:When people use clip and magazine interchangeably.
Well now I've learned something...
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

This is a cartridge:

More commonly called a round [of ammunition] or, incorrectly, a bullet.

This is a bullet:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Don't forget cylinder. ;)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Oh here's another one: people who walk several abreast on a pavement and don't shift their formation to allow you through. I walk into them on purpose. :mrgreen:
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

When I can hear people chewing/eating/breathing/swallowing. It drives me insane.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Being able to hear other people's music from several meters away when they are using headphones or IEMs. If it's so loud that I can hear it, you're probably damaging your ears.
Tactica
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Western Dragon

Post by Tactica »

When society doesn't accept you for who you really are, that's what really grinds my gears but nowadays I couldn't really care less about what others say. People that promise but don't deliver, people who pass the buck but do not take responsibility for what has happened and what humanity has become as a whole......oh and politics, I hate politics....
Embrace thy darkness!
Species: Western Hydroelectic Dragon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Tactica wrote:When society doesn't accept you for who you really are, that's what really grinds my gears but nowadays I couldn't really care less about what others say. People that promise but don't deliver, people who pass the buck but do not take responsibility for what has happened and what humanity has become as a whole......oh and politics, I hate politics....
That's more of a genuine reason to get peeved, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with you on those. Maybe I should elaborate; by "pet peeves" I meant more:
Wikipedia wrote:A pet peeve or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to themselves, to a greater degree than others may find it.
So something rather frivolous and "first world problems" type of thing (such as leaving the toilet seat up), not a real-world problem.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:Being able to hear other people's music from several meters away when they are using headphones or IEMs. If it's so loud that I can hear it, you're probably damaging your ears.
Aah, but I like it when I can sing along. :(
Tactica
Species: Western Dragon

Post by Tactica »

Leeward wrote:
Tactica wrote:When society doesn't accept you for who you really are, that's what really grinds my gears but nowadays I couldn't really care less about what others say. People that promise but don't deliver, people who pass the buck but do not take responsibility for what has happened and what humanity has become as a whole......oh and politics, I hate politics....
That's more of a genuine reason to get peeved, I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with you on those. Maybe I should elaborate; by "pet peeves" I meant more:
Wikipedia wrote:A pet peeve or pet hate is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to themselves, to a greater degree than others may find it.
So something rather frivolous and "first world problems" type of thing (such as leaving the toilet seat up), not a real-world problem.
Ah, in this case I hate it when you let people pass in traffic but they don't saw thanks or anything. Also when people drive at 20km/h while talking on their cellphones, good way to cause accidents since I ride a motorcycle.
Embrace thy darkness!
Species: Western Hydroelectic Dragon
Elyk
Species: Flusky; fluffy husky/cat+husky

Post by Elyk »

I personally hate it when people read aloud in class, and they aren't extremely fluent in English. I guess it's not their fault though. It just makes me cringe.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

zangelHusky wrote:I personally hate it when people read aloud in class, and they aren't extremely fluent in English. I guess it's not their fault though. It just makes me cringe.
OMG, yes! Although sometimes it can make for some really funny moments. This one time, in matric, there was this guy who had to read aloud from some abridged version of Romeo & Juliet. I think the line went something like: "Oh, Juliet! Speak to me with your musical voice!" but he ended up reading it as: "Oh, Juliet! Speak to me with your muscular voice!"

Needless to say, the whole class cracked up. :lol:
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

:lol:

When people overuse ellipses it drives me up a wall.
I know everyone has their own writing style, and to each their own, but I feel like breaking the screen of whatever I'm reading on when every line ends with one.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

When people give you an URL and start by saying H, T, T, P, colon, backslash, backslash, W, W, W... I just sit there waiting for them to get to the useful part and I cringe because they said 'backslash' when it's in fact a forward slash (my mother calls all slashes backslashes).
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, that is pretty painful.

The best is when people read the whole thing one letter at a time.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

I hate it when random people try to add me on Skype without introducing themselves. How the hell am I supposed to know who "JennyGoodTimeXXX69" is? If I don't know who you are, or at least where you know me from, I'll just assume you're a bot or a spammer and decline.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

You do realize that those are bots, right?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

MontgomerySeven wrote:You do realize that those are bots, right?
Contrast wrote:I'll just assume you're a bot.
I'm not an idiot, Sev, and I do not appreciate being talked to like one. That name was just a humorous example. Real people sometimes do the same thing (trying to add me without an introduction), and that's what my post was about.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Sorry, I never read the last bit. :oops:
Sticky_Fingers
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: brown bear

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

OH! Gosh! Awkward levels rising! Quickly, spray them with mountain dew!

My pet peeve is people asking me if I am getting cold when I walk down the street in a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I even took up the habit of carrying a jacket under my arms so I can dramatically put it on in front of them.

Oddly enough, I also hate being asked if i am getting too warm, when i am wearing a jacket in summer because I am so used to carrying the damn thing all the way through winter.

FML.
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

My biggest pet peeve is when people ask me if i could hear the sarcasm in their voices. I AM BRITISH!!! WE INVENTED SARCASM PEOPLE :P

so narf...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

When my parents, and other technologically-challenged individuals use the words 'upload' and 'download interchangeably.

"Won't you just upload this [online file] onto my computer?"
"Won't you just download this onto my email <Mom asking me to create a file attachment>."
"Won't you just download that movie (on your computer) onto a flash drive for me?"

They refuse to use words like 'transfer' or 'copy.'

EDIT: lol, I would not be surprised if someone makes a post below on the use of different brackets. :P
Hahaha! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The syntactic inconsistency! It burns the eyyyyyesssssss! (Yep, I fell for it. :P)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

This is a bit of a scourge in my town... street "musicians" in scrappy Kaapse Klopse outfits with tambourines and a broken and out-of-tune guitar singing horribly off-key while their bodily stink assaults your nose from several metres away. Not sure if stupid or genius, because tourists think they're funny and locals almost want to pay them to go away.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

My dad added me on skype (pet peeve #1, parents adding their kids on any social media)
He then immediately went: "Why don't you have a webcam! How will we be able to Skype!?"

Is it a thing where you start getting old that you need to look at someone to talk to them?

...how would old people cope with normal phones then?
Ricky
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Wolf

Post by Ricky »

How people confuse synthpunk with ska punk Example? Sure I'll show you...

Synthpunk (or electropunk)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AX81gv5aM

ska punk
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEKbFMvkLIc

Is it me, or no one can't tell the freaking difference? Two completely different sounds!