Pet peeves

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Pet peeves

Post by Leeward »

Unnecessarily long signature images that distort the forum page...
Ricky
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Wolf

Post by Ricky »

-sigh- I'll shorten it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sorry, didn't mean to be passive-aggressive about it, but somebody had to point it out.
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

That's okay, bro.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Looks much better now. :)
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

When a Funny-Money guy walks up to me on the streets, and I'm short on R200 notes; when my wallet is too small; when my gold cutlery bends, or when I go to a fuel station to fill up my G6, and the price of jet fuel has went up. #PetPeeves#YoungMoneyCashMoneyHollaDollaBiollinare

Hehe, imagine. :P
Hahaha! :lol:
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

Impolite people, I can't stand bad manners, it must be because I am British. I seem to encounter them on a daily basis. Especially when they can't thank you for providing them with a favour. I don't expect praise but a thank you would be nice.
Elyk
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Flusky; fluffy husky/cat+husky
Region: Western Cape

Post by Elyk »

People that like to show that they can't sing, when they think they can. I can't, but I don't go screeching around proving it.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

People who claim that they are professional artists, but make anything but that. Lack of humility.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well technically you can be a professional artist making terrible art, but good luck making a living.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Leeward wrote:Well technically you can be a professional artist making terrible art, but good luck making a living.
I meant people who are like "Hey guys! I am a professional music producer, and here is all my stuff that you should spend tons of money on!".

And then it turns out their music is pretty bad, to be frank.

It seems to happen a lot with music, more-so than drawn-art. But you see it there too.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

When the pic people use as their desktop background has black bars on the side,
More so if the black bar goes through the desktop icons
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

The American Government. No offense, but now thery're just screwing up
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

FaanVolla wrote:When the pic people use as their desktop background has black bars on the side,
More so if the black bar goes through the desktop icons
That bothers me too!

It reminded me of one of my own pet peeves. When people show me photos or videos on a tablet or phone but don't put in landscape mode. That's just wasting screen space and making what you're trying to show even smaller.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Elyk

Post by Elyk »

Bringing up an old thread, I dun care. As a photography enthusiast, it annoys the #$@* out of me when people consider any photo taken of oneself a 'selfie'. Seriously, there's a definition on Google and Wikipedia, use the word correctly. And for those who think I take too many 'selfies' (self portraits), guess what, it's not because I'm obsessed with myself, but because it actually helps for future portrait shoots, where I can learn which poses look good, and which don't.

If anyone's still confused, selfie = phone camera/webcam
Self portrait = DSLR, tripod, controlled lighting.

Get it right!! *rant over*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Um... are you sure it isn't, selfie = photograph of yourself taken by yourself. It's not a selfie if someone else uses a phone to take a picture of me, that's just a normal photo. And it's still a selfie even if the device I'm using is a proper camera.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Elyk

Post by Elyk »

You can argue that. But, and I quote from Wikipedia "Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm's length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer." So you could argue that selfie is a slang term for self portrait, but I distinguish between the two. Just me being me
Last edited by Elyk on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManicWuff
Species: Fox or wolf

Post by ManicWuff »

Elyk wrote:You can argue that. But, and I quote from Wikipedia "Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm's length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer." So you could argue that selfie is a slang term for self portrait, but I distinguish between the two.
The point is that you're trying to distance yourself from "them" in a sense. Those who indiscriminately take photos of themselves so that they can get attention and admiration from their extensive online social gathering. You want to take the photos to improve your capabilities as a professional artist and photographer.

As for my personal pet peeve, I despise those who look down on others. Who believe they're better simply because of their religious orientation, social status or some arbitrary reason.
Elyk

Post by Elyk »

ManicWuff wrote:
Elyk wrote:You can argue that. But, and I quote from Wikipedia "Most selfies are taken with a camera held at arm's length or pointed at a mirror, rather than by using a self-timer." So you could argue that selfie is a slang term for self portrait, but I distinguish between the two.
The point is that you're trying to distance yourself from "them" in a sense. Those who indiscriminately take photos of themselves so that they can get attention and admiration from their extensive online social gathering. You want to take the photos to improve your capabilities as a professional artist and photographer.

As for my personal pet peeve, I despise those who look down on others. Who believe they're better simply because of their religious orientation, social status or some arbitrary reason.
Thank you ManicWuff, that's exactly what I was trying to say :) and regarding your pet peeve, those people are the worst. There's no other word to describe them
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

One thing that's really starting to annoy me: Every single night, my sis takes a pic of her food for her boyfriend. I understand if it's something presentable, like the time we made sushi, but every single night? Like "Look at my two minute noodles"... It's really starting to get to me...
Mew?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Elyk wrote:Bringing up an old thread, I dun care. As a photography enthusiast, it annoys the #$@* out of me when people consider any photo taken of oneself a 'selfie'. Seriously, there's a definition on Google and Wikipedia, use the word correctly. And for those who think I take too many 'selfies' (self portraits), guess what, it's not because I'm obsessed with myself, but because it actually helps for future portrait shoots, where I can learn which poses look good, and which don't.

If anyone's still confused, selfie = phone camera/webcam
Self portrait = DSLR, tripod, controlled lighting.

Get it right!! *rant over*
You do seem to love to take a lot of selfies tho
SnowDragon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by SnowDragon »

Pet peeve - Internet hogs. Mainly, my brother. I love that our router has a "Banhammer" xD
Daylight dancer, Moonlit wonder;
Manifest upon the very gates of eden..
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Being distracted from something I'm intensely concentrating on. Students do this on a daily basis.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

People who refer to their animals as "it" even though the gender is known/obvious.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Students who pitch up for class in the last 30 minutes of a 2 hour lecture. People who don't know how time works and don't care about your planning. When I walk into someone's house and it's either filthy or overcrowded with junk. People who treats dogs as objects. When I'm sitting patiently in traffic and a fucker(Taxi) speeds passed me in the yellow lane. People who skip red lights, stop streets or have a general disregard for road rules. WHATSAPP. People who want to chat at 11pm. Facebook. Superstitious people who let their paranoia for the superstition run their life. People who believe in star signs. High School kids who envy your freedom so much they can't stop staring at your awesome beard or wavy hair.

When someone tells me I'm ''Misluk" I will lose it. When I get interrupted while studying. When someone tries to take over my personal space.

People who argue about irrelevant things that won't change anything important whatsoever. When people try to make their huge dilemmas my problem. When someone makes a mountain out of a mole hill. When students think it's the end of the world if they fail a mid semester test and end up leaving the university because they have no inhibitions to try and further educate themselves. Students who are at university because of a bursary which they didn't even earn and they waste that bursary by binge drinking right through the exams. Trying to study with kids in the house. Being held from studying with menial tasks that needs to be done the moment I need to study. YOLO SWAG type hip-hop Dr Dre and Jay Z wannabees blasting the Hip-Hop/Rap combination music from their pathetic little stock standard Polo vivo's wearing shirts that is longer than they are with their pants nearly touching the ground wearing Ray Ban's they bought next to the road.

I'm done... I have allot of pet peeves mainly because I rather dislike humanity and the idiots involved.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Leeward wrote:People who refer to their animals as "it" even though the gender is known/obvious.
I do that with babies.
They disturb me. >_>
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Wow Yote.... thats a pretty informative list right there.

And jeez, I'm definitely going to agree with you with some of those points there.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Neon wrote:Wow Yote.... thats a pretty informative list right there.

And jeez, I'm definitely going to agree with you with some of those points there.
I'm an accountant student, I have an affinity for small details.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

You are Yote, you have an affinity for small details.

The fact that you're an accountant has nothing to do with it.

(Pet Peeve) people who use stereotypes to attempt to justify their reasoning.

(e.g. I am an engineer I categorize all my issues, I am a lawyer - therefore I am a cynic, I am a metalhead - I am a deadbeat.)

Your past may influence what you are now but what you are studying towards or your current line of work only has so much to say for you. This may sound nitpicky, but this is the reason we don't get along. We just blanket statement everything.

Accept you for being you. Not some cursory thing you're doing.

Not upset about you, just that it irks me a little.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Ivic-Wulfe wrote:You are Yote, you have an affinity for small details.

The fact that you're an accountant has nothing to do with it.

(Pet Peeve) people who use stereotypes to attempt to justify their reasoning.

(e.g. I am an engineer I categorize all my issues, I am a lawyer - therefore I am a cynic, I am a metalhead - I am a deadbeat.)

Your past may influence what you are now but what you are studying towards or your current line of work only has so much to say for you. This may sound nitpicky, but this is the reason we don't get along. We just blanket statement everything.

Accept you for being you. Not some cursory thing you're doing.

Not upset about you, just that it irks me a little.
I see your point but please note that I take pride in what I study, I like to use myself in context to that as much as I can.
I'm not hiding from myself by using blanket statements I just take pride in what I do. Saying that I am an accountant just makes me more happy.
Also I joke allot in that sense because of the stupid stereotype that people have formed about the boring old bean counter accountant.
I respect your pet peeve :D
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote