How Open Are You About Being a Furry?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Re: How Open Are You About Being a Furry?

Post by Contrast »

I recently came across one of those Yahoo Questions where a guy pleaded for advice after his parents sent him to intensive therapy after finding his stash of furry art. Apparently his parents think he must be sick in the head, and the therapist agreed (whether he really thinks so or whether he just wants to get paid for a five-year series of sessions is difficult to deduce). Sad, really. And most of the answers were pretty mean spirited, too.
All in all, it's safer to keep your head down.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

I'm pretty open about it, thanks to Clean Paws :3
I obviously dont go about shouting it, but all my close friends know, and if someone were to ask, I'd say I am. The only thing I hate is explaining to people what it actually is... If it weren't for that, my whole school would probably know by now

As for my parents, my mom knows and accepts it, but doesn't really understand it... My sis kinda ruined my chance of telling my dad, by telling him first, but saying it's "human-animal cross breeds" (heavily implying bestiality...), so I decided not to bring up the subject ever again, but he can't complain that he didn't know, coz my sis did tell him...

All in all, people accept it quite well, my sis just says to keep all the yiffy bits away from her, same for my friends...
Mew?
Blaze Sunstrike
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: EquinePegasus
Region: Western Cape

Post by Blaze Sunstrike »

I'm becoming more open about it! So it's growing with my life...
The nom nom man! Hehe
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Seeing as I wore my collar to school 2 days ago, my school also kinda now knows... and my sis went and told my dad I want a fursuit... No idea how seriously he took it, but ya... soooo, ya, everyone knows it now
Mew?
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Sisters can be quite evil sometimes...
When I wanted a Ferret, she just had to go and want a Ginnypig.... So...

I am pretty open 'bout it, but i agree with
I like the: "if no one asks then i don't say anything" approach
Its by FAR the smarter thing to do...

I Am dragging my sister into the lifechanging abyss thow...
She asked me for all my furry wallpapers the other day, and I sometimes ask her to draw me something.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

my baby sister has a fursona, but she isnt a furry... not yet anyway...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
RoySnow
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Cervine
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by RoySnow »

No need to talk to IRL people about it, that's what the internet is for :P
Hoe ouer hoe kouer.
Indecipherable
Species: Wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Indecipherable »

RoySnow wrote:No need to talk to IRL people about it, that's what the internet is for :P
That^

I've been to the psychologist enough times and the last thing I would need is to display something that will give my folks another reason to embark me on a journey to "mental health", whatever the concept of it is these days.

What isn't needed, shouldn't be said.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Well frankly I don't think it should be much more of an issue than, say, being REALLY into model trains, or puppet shows. It's a hobby, and that's about it. Sure it's a little "odd" as far as hobbies go but that doesn't make it any more involved than that. I told one of my good friends about the fandom and she just laughed and thought it was the cutest thing ever. (Humph. Cute. Grumble grumble.)

Seriously though, I wouldn't go shouting it off the rooftops, but if somebody asked I wouldn't be opposed to talking about it. Granted I was slightly embarrassed when a classmate asked what I was browsing (this forum) in the computer lab, but I didn't really try to hide it thereafter. Everyone is entitled to a private life, and to me this falls until it.

Parents can be great advisers and should be aware of most of what you do (usually, although this becomes less true as you reach adulthood), but they don't need to know absolutely everything. I'm not advocating keeping secrets, only a right to privacy (within reason). And this is coming from someone with extremely intrusive and protective parents.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Indecipherable wrote:
RoySnow wrote:No need to talk to IRL people about it, that's what the internet is for :P
That^

I've been to the psychologist enough times and the last thing I would need is to display something that will give my folks another reason to embark me on a journey to "mental health", whatever the concept of it is these days.

What isn't needed, shouldn't be said.
Funnily enough, my psychiatrist knows that I am a furry. He finds the subculture "fascinating".

Really, these days, I'm quite open about it if I feel that doing so will not be perceived overly negatively. For example, my clan mates are all a bit weird in their own ways, so I thought that it would not be particularly strange to add my own weirdness. They too find the fandom interesting, and routinely ask me questions about it. Some of those questions are hilariously naive - one of them once asked me if I ever wear "normal" clothes, as if I go to uni in a fursuit, or some such.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

I guess my answer here has changed somewhat

Enough time has gone by. I guess being a furry has just become a part of who I am. My school friends know I'm a furry, and I just live like I want. If we're playing a game or something, and there happens to be a furry, I get exited and shout: "ooooh! Furry" xD

They don't like it themselves, but they're definitely cool with it, apart from some teasing. I don't mind. It's as if I've chosen the subject to be teased about, and it's one I really like ^^

I didn't really lose any friends cause of it. Me and my friends are closer than we've ever been. It really is nice, having friends you don't need to hide anything from

Being a brony, on the other hand... I've learned to avoid that subject. They know, but would rather not talk about it
Mew?
Elyk
Species: Flusky; fluffy husky/cat+husky

Post by Elyk »

Well so far my close family know I'm a furry, I told them about it last night actually. They were very happy that I've found a place where I feel I belong. As for friends, well I've got my fursona picture on my WhatsApp and BBM, and have been writing statuses about furries. No ones asked about it yet, and if anyone's got a problem with it, I've got no hesitation to tell them to stuff off.
NightFang17
Species: Brown Hyena (Strandwolf)

Post by NightFang17 »

I'm kinda open about it

I won't go out of my way to tell some rando normie that I'm a furry.

My brother knows (and has expressed interest in the fandom) but I'm still not open about it to my parents yet.
Be careful who or what you hate; it could be someone you love

My Telegram
Edward_74
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Caracal

Post by Edward_74 »

Well I’m only open to the people I trust and people that have little or no contact with family and friends that I don’t want to know.

To these people I and as open as can be but my family is a different story. I can never trust them to understand. It’s a sad but simple fact.
Ed-74
Washburn
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Ginger Cat

Post by Washburn »

I'm unbothered when it comes to proclaiming my 'furriness' (I have no idea how to phrase it properly lmao).

But then again I don't partake in showing off anything associated with identity. I mean I like the fandom, just as much as I like other fandoms. But I always ask the question, why do I need to wear a 'noddy badge' to display my interest publicly? It's like the hipsters who strut around with guitars, but they barely even play guitar. They just want brownie points lmfao xD Koodoos to whoever does that, but I draw the line there I guess :P

However it's sad to see family/friends disassociating themselves with folks for having an interest in the fandom. But if you look at it from the bright side, if you're at the age of moving out or establishing yourself professionally. It might serve as a good motivator to move out or become successful (better yourself) :D You know, the old saying "I'll show them".
“Scccccratccch the most clever postmodern-relativist professor’s Mercedes with a key, and you will see how fast the mask of relativism (with its pretense that there can be neither right nor wrong) and the cloak of radical tolerance come off.”
― Jordan B. Peterson, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos

"Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea." ― Lady Nancy Astor
"Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it." ― Winston Churchill
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

When I started with the furry stuff I was pretty shy about it, mainly because I read between the lines among the multitude of posts online about that furries aren't generally accepted. I hid it for a long time.
I even went as far as feeling the need to tell my GF in a "coming out" style conversation. Her reaction was "Okay, that's cool". Guess I overthought it like I do everything.

As the years went by I realised more and more that being a furry isn't bad and it's essentially just an interest that you shouldn't have to be ashamed of.
Back when this sub started a lot of people were shy and afraid and so was I, individuality in an era where you are expected to fit in or be outcasted is a scary and daunting thought.

However I can't say that I am ashamed in the slightest, after being in the Huisgenoot, Jacaranda interview and Kwela with all three of them very much exposing my real name I'm not shy of admitting it. I do however not talk about it in my professional work environment and should the conversation come up I'd address it. I also would like to add that being a furry openly and publicly has in no way influenced my career or professional prospects. Otherwise it's as casual to me as being interested in cars or movies. It's another aspect of my personality and generally I've realised that with most interests if people don't understand it they have questions, however if your interests are being questioned you tend to tense up and respond defensively which is an understandable reaction but you need to put yourself in someone else's shoes.

HOWEVER, more than ever before are we embracing the different types of internet subculture, as much as I HATE TikTok and these other little trashy spyware platforms and most social media platforms for that matter we have those to thank for the spreading of awareness of the furry fandom in general.

When I started fursuiting in 2015 no one knew what I was doing or why I was dressed like that, I kept getting asked why.
Now present day, 2022 at comic con fursuiting and furries are literally publically known and the reception toward it has been super positive. But it's been a long road, reception toward fursuiting has been rather positive in general and in my almost 7 years of fursuiting publically I had only 1 super negative interaction from a young tween just looking at me and saying "Fucking Disgusting". I mean, that is not too bad 1 negative interaction from 7 years of suiting, and likely this kid is a closet fur that hates on furries cause of his own insecurity.
Washburn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:01 am But then again I don't partake in showing off anything associated with identity. I mean I like the fandom, just as much as I like other fandoms. But I always ask the question, why do I need to wear a 'noddy badge' to display my interest publicly? It's like the hipsters who strut around with guitars, but they barely even play guitar. They just want brownie points lmfao xD Koodoos to whoever does that, but I draw the line there I guess :P
Lol are you comparing fursuiting and furry paraphernalia with being a musician?
Cause to be able to play a guitar you need to practice. Fursuiting and wearing furry stuff doesn't take as much practice it's more a form of expression.
Or do you mean people jump too fast on a personality trait that kinda sets them apart from the rest of society simply for the sake of being different even though their knowledge depth is very shallow?
I agree that walking around with a guitar and barely being able to play it can come across as being pretentious, but how else do you ever learn to get that confidence and at what point can someone who actually plays guitar strut their stuff? Who are we to gatekeep this anyway? How does that compare to just realising you are a furry and wearing a pair of ears or a tail in public? Power to you for having the confidence to stand out, I struggled at first cause of shame and this exact mentality.

I fursuit, but I don't necessarily wear paraphernalia unless I am going out to a furmeet or am surrounded by furries, cause expression and individuality counts more to me than other people's opinions on my personality :lol:
I personally own my furry trashiness since it's a from of expression and I won't have anyone tell me otherwise UwU
I only know of maybe a few furries who try to get "noddy badges" for being publically furry and they are kinda socially outcasted by the rest of the fandom anyways. Like I said, it's about expression more than it is about attention and those seeking attention are often met with disappointment along the road at some point.
Washburn wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:01 am However it's sad to see family/friends disassociating themselves with folks for having an interest in the fandom. But if you look at it from the bright side, if you're at the age of moving out or establishing yourself professionally. It might serve as a good motivator to move out or become successful (better yourself) :D You know, the old saying "I'll show them".
My personal opinion, if someone doesn't approve of your interests they don't deserve to have you in their life. It's difficult when it comes to family and it's probably easier for me to say this living on my own and being independent.

Anyway point is, I don't think it's something to hide. But in the same sense I don't think it's something you should base your whole personality off of cause that does annoy people too. Just enjoy it for what it is and be you.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

YoteFox wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:38 amMy personal opinion, if someone doesn't approve of your interests they don't deserve to have you in their life. It's difficult when it comes to family and it's probably easier for me to say this living on my own and being independent.
Have to disagree with this. People do not need to share or approve of your interests. If you exclude anyone who disagrees you create a weird bubble where you pretend you are immune to criticism. Sometimes our interests and beliefs are wrong or harmful to others and we should be called out. We can't create a world where no one ever contradicts us. That approach leads to intolerance. We can insist on basic dignity and respect between people but that does not mean agreement. We live in a diverse world and we must learn to tolerate different views and opinions. Not only can you be friends with someone who has different views on some issues, even one's that are close to your heart, I'd say that you should be friends with those people. You should expose yourself to other ways of seeing the world and remember that there are almost no "good" or "evil" people, there are just people. We agree on some things and disagree on others but we need to be able to live together. If not we'll continue to repeat the mistakes of the past, constantly fighting, discriminating against and killing each other. I don't think we need more of that.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
NightFang17
Species: Brown Hyena (Strandwolf)

Post by NightFang17 »

NightFang17 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 am My brother knows (and has expressed interest in the fandom)
Never mind. Guess my entire family's fur-phobic smh. Luckily I never came out to anyone else.
Be careful who or what you hate; it could be someone you love

My Telegram