how did you come up with your names

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Luke
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Carpathian Shepherd
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

how did you come up with your names

Post by Luke »

yea so a little fun thing...
how did you guys come up with your nicknames?
did it just pop into your head or did you have to brain storm for hours on end with pen and paper in hand.
SOMETIMES HUMAN, ALWAYS WOLF *\|/*
Luke

Re: how did you come up with your names

Post by Luke »

ill write first.

ok I went through random names like vinyl and grim but one day while in english class I saw vex in the dictionary and thought it sounded cool. that was me for about 3 years before I found out that there is a playstation 2 game called Vexx (which ill admit that I stole the double x from). but then it just looked like I stole it and I had no imagination to make up my own name so I changed it to Kurushimeru, which has the same meaning as vex except in Japanese
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Well...
My name on this website was at first just Stefan.
Then I had a discussion with Wolfie-DMX and we got out random names.
We got to Zar-Fox and "Keiser"-fox.
Then I just picked Splicer out of the blue.

The thing is:
I like to change fersonas every now and again.
Although I do keep coming back to a fox.
Sometimes I would like to be a dragon or something different.
I thought that the word Splicer would be a good indication that I like to change.
Wolfskunk
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolf/Skunk Hybrid
Region: Western Cape

Post by Wolfskunk »

Mine started from gaming. Way back in the day it used to just be Wolf, but that is such a common name I decided I needed to change it. When I "became" furry some of the first art I saw was Jim Hardimans(Best skunk chicks EVAR) and so I added furry and skunk making it furrywolfskunk.

After a while I decide it's too long and looked REALLY silly when people asked you for your email so it got shortened to Wolfskunk. Best part is the name in NEVER taken.
>>A furry not bothered by conflict or opposing views<<
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

I got mine from being lucky, and I friend giving it to me. Also kinda stole it from a Fluke I know and chat to on MSN... he's also a fulf XD!
Fluke is ALWAYS taken, kinda unfair :/

Did go through names like;
WhiteFox
GoldFox
SnowFox
WhiteTigerFox

All of which are so unoriginal XD

BTW; I only learned about Fluke (http://www.furaffinity.net/users/fluke) after I named my fursona Fluke :p

EDIT: 100TH POST 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
anoyomouse
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Erm, i was 8, i was introduced to IRC (this must have been around 1994, 1995 somewhere there), and well, i was logged into chat, and because my brother was in the room he was giving me grief (cause he's allowed to)

So ... i tried to log in as Anonymous ... and well, wound up as Anoyomouse, and i kept on sqeaking people (yeah, couldn't spell back then)

But i liked it so much, i practically used it for everything

So, yeah, had the nick WAY before i knew i was a fur, and well, since then i've always been a mouse, which is why i can't think i'm anything else ^.^;

Also, it's also unique .. if you google me, the first 4 pages are all me ... well, maybe 1 or two not :P

And go see http://anoyomouse.co.za, which is also blank! :P
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Well, when I first discovered the term 'furry' on wikipedia (after having been browsing through anthro artwork using google images) and the furry fandom I was slightly wary of it: in my ignorance it seemed to me like trekkies but for anthropomorphism and with sexual undertones. Still, I was very much interested in the anthropomorphic aspect of it ( I always had been), and I was curious as to the true nature of the fandom, so I joined my first fur site, furnation.com, in September 2008.

I didn't want to call myself a furry at that stage, but I wanted to interact with furries so I gave myself a name that I thought was rather neutral yet fun: Biology_Project.

After having introduced myself as a 'human observer' and having made some friends there, I came to understand the fandom and what it was all about and realised that I liked furries a lot, and that I had been one all along. So, after much thought I chose an otter as my first fursona - it seemed appropriate at the time. I dropped the -ology_Project and changed my name to Bio_Otter. Heh, I was so proud, and everyone was so friendly about it. :mrgreen:

Of course, some people teased that the next step would be to drop the 'o' in 'Bio' but I didn't find that very funny at the time. :P

Eventually, I got bored of being an otter and decided that both the name and the species were no longer appropriate for me.

I thought long and hard about what species was a good fit for me and decided that Hyena was a species I both liked and could be likened to (I had very nearly chosen it before otter anyway). With a fresh start to my fursona I decided I needed a fresh name to match. For me I didn't want to stick any part of my real name in front of my species like a lot of other people do: 'Matt-Hyena' just doesn't cut it. So after playing around with a lot of words and names I decided on 'Ryall' - it's random, it has a nice ring to it and it just so happens that it was also the surname of my head-of-school when I was a newboy. :)

Heh, sorry if the long, unnecessary story bored you but I made use of the ambiguity in this thread's title. :P
Hahaha! :lol:
Luke

Post by Luke »

wasn't boring... I liked it.
its cool to see all the names people come up for themselves when they are younger.
your story is similar to mine in the way that we were both interested in what furries were about. Only difference is that you classified yourself as human and im therian.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Haha, maybe one day you will classify yourself as a furry too! ;)
Luke

Post by Luke »

as fun as furries sound, I doubt it! :mrgreen:
I know who and what I am. I didn't spend 2 years investigating just to get lost again if you know what I mean ;)

I love furries, the art and everything but im not one, 100% sure
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Hehe, you know, you can be both human, theiran and furry all at the same time - strange, I know right!? They're not actually mutually exclusive. :D

'I'm furry' cause I love the people, the art, and because I think anthromorphs are really awesome, and, given the chance, I would want to be one in real life. Of course the latter is just fantasy, but as you can see from the list, there's not much to confuse ;) . It's just about the appreciation of anthropomorphic characters. If you appreciate them then you're practically a fur already. How much you appreciate them is up to you! :P
Luke

Post by Luke »

I get that but being therian is a different thing. furries have more cartoonish "altar egos" if you want to call them that while with therians its a real animal with no human intelligence or traits. They are very similar but they have their differences.

LOL and I know Im human, I cant really get out of that can I? =D
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

LOL! :D Okay, I think I understand. :P

Yeah, I must confess that after being human my whole life it would definitely be fun to try being something else, but I would never want to be someone else and let go of my human conciousness and thoughts - that has too much in common with death for my liking. :P

Although I must ask one question: :?: If you could be that anthro wolf in your display picture IRL, (purely an aesthetic change) would you be?
I ask cause you seemed to quite like the idea of being an anthro in the "If you woke up tomorrow..." thread. :P
Luke

Post by Luke »

I would admit that it would be freaking cool. But I prefer real animals, anthro's are cute, thats about it. lol but if people want to call me furry I dont mind. im just a little different.
therian is me, furry can be a hobby
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Ryall wrote:Well, when I first discovered the term 'furry' on wikipedia (after having been browsing through anthro artwork using google images) and the furry fandom I was slightly wary of it: in my ignorance it seemed to me like trekkies but for anthropomorphism and with sexual undertones. Still, I was very much interested in the anthropomorphic aspect of it ( I always had been), and I was curious as to the true nature of the fandom, so I joined my first fur site, furnation.com, in September 2008.

I didn't want to call myself a furry at that stage, but I wanted to interact with furries so I gave myself a name that I thought was rather neutral yet fun: Biology_Project.

After having introduced myself as a 'human observer' and having made some friends there, I came to understand the fandom and what it was all about and realised that I liked furries a lot, and that I had been one all along. So, after much thought I chose an otter as my first fursona - it seemed appropriate at the time. I dropped the -ology_Project and changed my name to Bio_Otter. Heh, I was so proud, and everyone was so friendly about it. :mrgreen:

Of course, some people teased that the next step would be to drop the 'o' in 'Bio' but I didn't find that very funny at the time. :P

Eventually, I got bored of being an otter and decided that both the name and the species were no longer appropriate for me.

I thought long and hard about what species was a good fit for me and decided that Hyena was a species I both liked and could be likened to (I had very nearly chosen it before otter anyway). With a fresh start to my fursona I decided I needed a fresh name to match. For me I didn't want to stick any part of my real name in front of my species like a lot of other people do: 'Matt-Hyena' just doesn't cut it. So after playing around with a lot of words and names I decided on 'Ryall' - it's random, it has a nice ring to it and it just so happens that it was also the surname of my head-of-school when I was a newboy. :)

Heh, sorry if the long, unnecessary story bored you but I made use of the ambiguity in this thread's title. :P

Lol I know these 'people' XD
Shame, dark times, dark times :/
Tigris Astartes
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Snow leopard/Siberian Tiger

Post by Tigris Astartes »

Well I play Warhammer40k, the PC games, all of the RTS ones so far. And I have read up loads of lore on the universe + watch my friends play table top and have even played a little table top myself. So basically there is a race called Space Marines, humanities super soldiers that are pretty much the last resort when the s**t hits the fan.

They are called the Adeptus Astartes. Now I was curious as to what Astartes meant, so I looked it up: Astarte was connected with fertility, sexuality, and war. Her symbols were the lion, the horse, the sphinx, the dove, and a star within a circle indicating the planet Venus. Pictorial representations often show her naked.

Now I found this intriguing and when I decided to change my name I decided to take Astartes, really mostly for the war part ;P

Tigris just sounded like Tiger and also the river Tigris.. so yeah, interestingly enough I combined the two, I've always liked two part names or nick names.
Snow Leopard + Siberian Tiger

Find my Furaffinity here.

Telegram:
Image @TigrisAstartes
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Mine is easy:

I was running my first roleplaying game ever, and i needed a name for the villain.

Something harsh.

Har... har is a harsh sounding prefix... har... har... har... (no, i'm not laughing :P)

I ran with it for 10 minutes until I tried Hargan.

I loved the name so much, I stole it for myself :P
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Yukon
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

I started off under my musical alias Glacier since a young age when I was a tracker (heh..the old MOD days) ...couldn't think of anything else better, so used it when I joined the Balto fandom in about 1999.

Eventually, google started being an issue and other online musicians asked about "the other" Glacier...had to split identities and form a separate "furry" identity. Wanting to stick with the "Balto" theme, after a bit of time reading lists of husky names etc., eventually a world map on my study desk lit up in my mind (yes, while I was meant to be studying.. one will find ANY distractions!!) - the Yukon river in Alaska :)

I've been "Yukon" since around 2001-2002, yet when I log into the TBL weekly Balto chats after all these years (yes, they're still going!), there are those there that still call me Glacier :p
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Sticky_Fingers
Species: brown bear

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

I also gained my nick-name/fursona name from online video games.

The story begins when I was about 13 years old and relatively new to computers. I will boast that I have never touched one before I traveled to America but honestly I knew what things like Counters-strike and warcraft were. When I finally started frequenting internet cafes' and friends’ houses I was introduced to having an alternate name. I was never very good as my friends so I decided on a name to denote my skill level. I wanted something close to having "slow moving hands" but I had seen someone named "slow hands" on the internet so I wanted something a bit more memorable. At that time, the shift key was my biggest enemy as the dreaded "sticky keys" would pop up and kick me out of my game. I decided to merge the two concepts into one. "Sticky_Fingers".

This explains the origin of my nick-name, as innocent as it was, and I can tell you that people always expect the more...icky side of the name first. I would later have access to the internet through my step-fathers dial-up connection but he would never let me use it willingly, I had to sneak out and plug it in late at night to play warcraft and dota. I never had time to use it for anything else...honest.

In 2008 when I was working at BTGames in Tygervalley, I had finally accumulated enough money to have my own freedom with the internet. My step-father had been causing me problems and he believed that I used the internet for late night perverse behavior. I was angry and resentful the first night I used the internet and intended to see what all the fuss was about. An hour later I was a furry and had to make the important fursona name choice. I decided that keeping my online nick-name would be appropriate enough for a honey munching bear so I kept it. Its original enough that I never really have problems with people having my name.
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
Rags_Wox
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: wolf fox

Post by Rags_Wox »

my nick also comes from my gaming days. hell, I had 3. killigan, because i kill you again and again and again. second was ragnarok, because i thought it sounded cool and later discovered it meant the wrath of the gods in icelandic. thirdly there was korangar. my nick backwords. also has meaning to it. look it up on google. i still have my pet name wolffoxtien. something i got from my furry gf a few years back
We don't always wrestle our inner demons. Sometimes we just cuddle
snow
Species: white snow wolf

Post by snow »

Well I had a few nicks I yesto to be a fox : razorfoxza was my nick .
Then after a few years I found I was more wolfy ; razorwolf was my new nick .
But then I brain stormed abit and thought of snowolf wich Is me \:D/

Some that i randomly thought of ...and some I had a pen and paper.. nothing to dramatick
razorfoxza
Artic wolfy
Razorwolfy
Silly fox
Snowolf
what is a wolf? Strength, wisdom, loyalty, courage.

Things have changed.

http://dagobah.net/flash/Aoi_Furrysh_2.swf this is how it goes....

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/snow007/
sindal
Species: Angel snow leopard

Post by sindal »

I honestly have no idea x3

My fursona, 'sindal' was completley made up
I made it round about when I was 13 and needed a name for my fursona (who was a bat back then)

Go figured =P
Havok
Species: Snow Cheetah

Post by Havok »

It seems most of us got our nicks from gaming, as did I.

I had quite a few nicknames in my life

beginning with non gaming nicks such as these

Sprinkaan (I was a bug kid, now they just gross me out)
Spinnekop (because of my freaky double jointed fingers)
Droewors (I ate the stuff in my sleep...for real)
Woofley (because my surname is BARKley)
Sparky (I had my hair up like the Pikachu Sparky from the pokemon series)

Now onto gaming nicks

Hotshot (Strike Commander)
Afterburn (Afterburner)
Ghost Stalker (heh CnC Tiberium sun)
Chaos (this was because I was...well chaotic)
and finally Havok (Because I wreaked havoc upon all in games...back then, but it stuck and now its my gaming nick and my nickname)

Never had a problem with my nicks, in retrospeck they only described me in certain stages of my life.
Huzah! The awesomeness has been Octupled!
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

I just wanted a name that was African without being unpronouncable. :p When I went looking, "Keita" leapt off the page at me.

I started out as "Keita Silverwolf" (my fursona was silver right at first) but as time went by, I realised I just wasn't a silver wolf. I was a black wolf. So my name changed to "Keita Darkwolf". Then, in 2007 when my mate and I got together, I adopted his "second name" as my own and became "Keita Haruka".

Btw...the name "Keita" is from Mali. :P
Wolfie-DMX
Species: Wolf

Post by Wolfie-DMX »

I met the 1st furry online who was from SA called WolfieInu (Wolfie dog) and so I just decided I was going to be Wolfie DMX, since DMX has been nick most of my life :P Short and sweet, and I am very happy with the name :)
"So kalm soos n dagga walm"

A wise Indian say: "Keep your relationships away from furry fandom; keep furries away from your relationships"

---------------------- Account No longer active ----------------------
Aeowyn
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Percheron

Post by Aeowyn »

this starts before I knew I was a furry or even that there was a fandom, heh... (I DID already have some yiff art though) and actually relates to me being a wiccan. in 2003 I had just decided to become a wiccan and quickly found out that something you need is a "craft name" to use in your rituals, etc. I went through 2 which were terrible to the point of embarrassing before finally googling craft names and finding a name generator. I flicked through a few thousand before finally settling on Aeowyn. I soon used it for everything from email to game nicknames and some more. when I found the fandom and became a furry, it was the first and only choice.
I'm all that's left of a BIZARRE childhood
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Aeowyn wrote:this starts before I knew I was a furry or even that there was a fandom, heh... (I DID already have some yiff art though) and actually relates to me being a wiccan. in 2003 I had just decided to become a wiccan and quickly found out that something you need is a "craft name" to use in your rituals, etc. I went through 2 which were terrible to the point of embarrassing before finally googling craft names and finding a name generator. I flicked through a few thousand before finally settling on Aeowyn. I soon used it for everything from email to game nicknames and some more. when I found the fandom and became a furry, it was the first and only choice.

So you didn't realise Aeowyn is from Lord of the Rings?
Grayhound
Species: Wolf-Keidran

Post by Grayhound »

Hmmm....well in the Lord of the rings there's no A....just Eowyn....but the similarity is definatly there...

As for my fursona name, well my human name is Nicholas Gray.....hence the play on words with Grayhound....

P.s. I die a little each time someone tries to correct me by spelling my fursona "Greyhound"......It wasn't a spelling mistake dammit, it was deliberate...
True love is real, sometimes it just happens in unexpected places.
I do what I must; not because i'm certain of my own sense of justice, but because i'm not certain of anyone elses.
terror

Post by terror »

I never gave it nearly as much thought as any of you guys. The other two forums I post on allot my nick there is Neighbourhood Terror. So when I needed one here I dropped the first part and chose Terror. Quiet apt I suppose as anyone who's ever had anything to do with Husky's will know they can be complete and utter terrorists.
Attachments
cute-puppy-pictures-chaos-cuteness.jpg
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

I am sure I have posted this before, somewhere on the forum, anyway my name is Manx for "unknown" since I was an unknown when I joined this forum