how did you come up with your names

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Wolfie_Inu
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Generic Canid
Region: Western Cape

Re: how did you come up with your names

Post by Wolfie_Inu »

Well, my dad had a German Shepherd dog called Wolf. Hence I called my first dog Wolf, which quickly became Wolfie in practice. And he's a Shiba Inu. Hence "Wolfie Inu". I'm named after my dog, yes.

The originality! It buuuuurns
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

I chose the name "Contrast" because of all the seemingly conflicting aspects of my personality that keep popping up out of nowhere. I'll list a few.
1) I'm a novelist, and my work is about to be published. That means that potentially thousands of people might read what I've written. This fills me with pride and dread at the same time. I'm painfully shy about most things, and now I'm bearing my soul for everyone to see. And perhaps critisize (the non-furries, I mean. I'm sure you guys wouldn't do that).
2) I love action movies, but I'll also enjoy a chickflick every now and then, and I'm not ashamed to admit that.
3) Living in the Karoo, I only ever speak Afrikaans, but I write in English.
4) I'm ambidextrous. That means I'm both right- and lefthanded depending on what task I'm doing.
5) I'm highly intelligent (I know that sounds arrogant, but it's true) and at the same time I'm incredibly lazy. This combo annoyed my teachers to no end back in High school. I barely studied for my exams, but still managed good grades.
6) I'm very practical and organised, but I'm also prone to artistic flights of fancy that sometimes end up in something completely random.

There are lots more, but you get the idea.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Mine gets a little complicated because there are seven names to be referred too....

Punk Fox Dot Com: in 2010 I bought a horse called Fox Dot Com, he is my baby, love him to bits... I also really love being Punk, never being normal and listening to arb music etc. not just punk music and stiff but being as un-mainstream as i can.... so yah

Kestral: okay full name is Kestral Raven Tigrina Tigress Ivanavic - I was young and full of myself. I love Ravens so that was a given. Tiger references had to happen. Ivanvic (the only russian sounding name i knew) Kestral, well it's spelt wrong but i like the name... then I decided I would make a universe where Kestral was the goddess of death, Raven, the bird of death, Tigrina, the queens name and she killed lotsa peeps, Tigress, a feline of death :P, Ivanavic meant death (to me) and the number five would represent death...

Corrosion: well everytime I go crazy, i feel like a peice of me is being worn away, so corrosion sounded close enough to the feeling.

Umbra: a shadow (mostly a shadow from the moon) when I'm sad, i feel like I'm in the shadows, unable to escape (I'm so emo sumtimes :P)

Riot: actually from the song Start a Riot which I was listening to when i was creating the character.

NetherKess: the dark side of Kess, so yah.

Starfox: well, its a fox, and its covered in stars.... that was deep :P

so that them....
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Alion
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Lion-fox hybrid
Region: Gauteng

Post by Alion »

Mine was really random. When I first found out about the furry world I decided to be a lion. But I suck at names,so I struggled for a week. And one day I woke up and sat down with a cup of coffee and suddenly it hit me like a sock full of wet sand. I'm going to be A LION. A+Lion= Alion
Contrary to popular belief,Rawr does NOT mean I love you in dinosaur. It actually means are you going to eat that?
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Snowie is a name I have gone through practically my whole life with, my real name being Jonathan Snowdowne the Snowdowne part always being abbreviated to Snowie by school and varsity friends.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

My name came partly from an anime I was watching at the time, Wolf's Rain, which had the characters looking for paradise, which is rakuen in Japanese, and partly as I was involved in the pokemon fandom and had previously been using a growlithe-themed nickname.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

I remember how I ended up with sinkarma. I was young (14 or something, I'm not sure) and struggled with memory, I was fed up with having to create new names and faces for my lil fantasy worlds(I kept forgetting them) so I went and wringed together some words and altered them to make a name for a character (being then able to remember the name from the derived word) that I promised myself I would not forget, the name was Sinkara (kinda lame actually) derived from sin karma. eventually one day I wanted to change my nick from Grim Reaper to something more original, Sinkarma came to my mind, negative karma, al the bad stuff that happen to all the bad people. I couldn't shake it or forget it, Sinkarma became my beloved new name.

Now Sinkarma is my primary nick, but lately I have develouped an alternate one when I feel depressed and pained emotionally, Sakul Ebbon the pale monster, but Sinkarma will remain my nick for a long loooooonnng time.

Here is something interesting: google Sinkarma and you get only 22000 results( far less than grim reaper). all you will find is some random band, some random page on karma and under images (around 6000 results) you won't find anything specific and if you look a bit you can actually find my artworks that I've posted on the net on deviant art
Sunny Fox
Species: Silver Fox

Post by Sunny Fox »

wow, some interesting stuff here..well my name wasnt always "Sunny"

when i came to the fandom...my furry name was "Raposa" or "Raposa Prata" (means fox/silver fox in portuguese ) ...i went with it... soon... i joined the stupid social media "Facebook" cause of an american friend ..he forced me to join....

after some time of chatting to other furs and being around...i got the nickname "giggles" and "Sunny" ... for a lot of different reasons....i quite liked the name sunny...and so i took to it...and so i became Sunny Fox ^w^ *giggles*
Yes it is true ^^, i was passed through this odd configuration of a human and for many years have pondered..believed that i am a therion, but i lurk in this furry fandom for it is a good way to stay close to my fox corporeal *giggles* so my "sojourn" is an aeon ^,..,^

Furaffinity
Furrbook
Steam
Dota2
Skype Ask me ^^,
Whatsapp: ask me ^^,
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Kalium_Puceon
Species: Duiker!
Mastodon: pleroma.site/kalium

Post by Kalium_Puceon »

@ accretion - Constructing of stars accretion, as in collection of gas? Am I correct?

Anyways, Mine was originally Praetor Fenix (Starcraft FTW) as He was the most awesomenesstest protoss character in SC I, as the only zealot worth his salt.

After a few run- ins with some exceedingly annoying trolls, I changed to Kalium_Puceon
The basis on this was rather Nerdy
I like the colour purple, and potassium burns purple in oxygen. The latin name for Potassium is Kalium, Therefore I was Kalium, and Puce is the colour purple, hence puceon.
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."
-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Contact Me!
My Github! | My Twitter! | My Tumblr | Hit me up as Kalium on foonetic IRC!
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Kalium_Puceon wrote:@ accretion - Constructing of stars accretion, as in collection of gas? Am I correct?
Almost, The full term is a accretion disc. It's practically diffused material in orbital motion. But on a larger scale the entire milky way is a accretion disc.

I've always been fascinated with astrophysics thus chose a name commonly found around the most sci-fi object object in the universe, The Black hole. Inside this particular disc the temperature near the center ranges up to millions of degrees often creating gassy jets to shoot thousands of light years into space perpendicular to the disc making these quasars the brightest objects in the universe.
Kalium_Puceon

Post by Kalium_Puceon »

So... you're a SPACE Anubis...
Have you heard about the Black- Hole Life preserver
It's basically a ring of concrete the size Saturn's rings that you wear as you fall into a black hole
The point is that the time warp pulls the sides of the Concrete ring inwards, increasing it's density and gravity. The gravity then prevents spaghettification (I love that word) so you can fall past the toroidal singularity at it's core
"You never get over the desire to do stupid things. You simply have to overrule your stupid urges with an acquired sense of fear."
-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Contact Me!
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Well all us Egyptian Gods come from the stars, that's why the pyramids align with the brightest ones. Silly people these pharaohs.
Kalium_Puceon

Post by Kalium_Puceon »

Why so Sirius
-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Contact Me!
Aeowyn
Species: Percheron

Post by Aeowyn »

I drank some betelgeus and now I have a M-ursa major headache
I'm all that's left of a BIZARRE childhood
Kalium_Puceon

Post by Kalium_Puceon »

I think you better libra the drinks alone
-Dr. Richard Weisiger

Contact Me!
Blaze Sunstrike
Species: EquinePegasus

Post by Blaze Sunstrike »

Ahhh.... As you all can see I'm Blaze Sunstrike.

Blaze referring to the term of fire , and blazing hot, hehehe kidding .
And a Sunstrike is a term also used for a Sunflare in my circles of chatting.

My fursona is a Pegasus ( flying horse )

And I love the color red....

So to give myself a more impressive and half "out of the sky" name I came up with a name and a surname. Making my fursona a complete different character and also in my eyes making it a lot more impressive with such a strong name....
Well I first sat down and drew my fursona then I thought of WOW and I have a bloodelve called Aurora Moonflare... Which is now the name of my night elf . Or was...
But to get to the point I really wanted a name that would make an impact and which would make people curios to meet me and so on.
The nom nom man! Hehe
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Asbjorn Phoenix was a name I struggled for days to find, I've always been a bear, associated with bear culture in the gay community before I met Terror, meeting Terror have Snowie form although he jade been with me for a while, when we parted ways a part of me died, that was Snowie, but having discovered the fandom and having made some really amazing new friends I could not just abandon it.

During the first week of us parting ways I started googling names associated with bears and came across Asbjorn which is a combination of two old Norse words, Ass meaning divine or god like and Bjorn meaning bear, quite literally then Divine bear, and phoenix of course is almost self explanatory being the bird that is reborn from its own ashes, and Asbjorn being born out of the remnants of what was Snowie so it becomes, to, e at least "The Divine Bear Reborn".

I was also trying to think up names for my hybrid creation being that I changes from a Polar Bear to a Bear Phoenix hybrid, came up with Phobear - which was read as pedobear by someone so that was ruled out, then there was beanix but that sounded to cute almost like a little insect that could be stepped on so no and finally a friend in the US suggested Fire Bear which I really liked.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Luke
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Carpathian Shepherd
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Luke »

Damn... My post is still active after all this time? You guys make me blush!
SOMETIMES HUMAN, ALWAYS WOLF *\|/*
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Post by Gothic Collie »

^^ So how did you come up with your new name Luke?

Allso:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Well My original name was VeXx. I got that from the video game. I stopped using VeXx after My life went downhill. I saw that ego as the curse in my life, which is ironic because of the meaning of the word vex. Then there was Fennic which I got from the animal. I can't remember how I came up with Dax but he is still around as my gaming persona. Cynda was taken from Cyndaquil the Pokémon (My favorite). As for Luke. It is actually my second name. I just randomly decided a few days ago to use it as my creative side. I am in a creative block at the moment and in my mind I somehow came up with the idea that if I create a a different personality around that name and think creatively as a different person I may be able to jump start my art. And hopefully it will work. I bought a graphic pen yesterday and I am going to learn to draw furries for my latest short story "Howls in the Park" which is on my Deviant page.

It is a tragedy story with a slight romantic plot between a husky named Luke (Temporary name because I couldn't think of one and it just stuck) and a still undecided female canine Lyra (A girl Luke rescues from being raped in an alley way in a dodge part of town). There are only Four characters which need to be detailed in the graphic interpretation of the book (Luke, Lyra, a child cat named Oliver and his foster mother). I am planning to show everyone else as just shadows. Hopefully the book has a good story line. I don't know I seem to think my work crap but still seem to write...It's my drug. Plus if I don't write or play computer games I tend to turn to alcohol which I noticed being a problem when I kept waking up well yeah... waking up with a slight lack of clothing... all of it actually :(
Luke

Post by Luke »

Oh... There was also Kurushimeru or Kurushi which you can still see in my avatar picture.
Lurigo
Species: Silver Fox
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Lurigo »

Well, lemme tell you then.
My fursona's full name is Lurigo Arkon Freefox.
Lurigo is derived from the Swedish word "luriga", meaning "sneaky". Since I tend to be sneaky, and since I like many things that are Swedish, I thought it'd work well as a name. Plus it sounds awesome!
Freefox is a play on the name "Freeman". Some of my friends actually call me Freeman due to my obsession with Half-Life, but then one of my friends combined that with the fact that I'm a fox, and started calling me Freefox instead. It stuck ever since!
I can't quite remember how I came up with the name Arkon though. XD
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

jerb is just me and my best friends initials put together. we used to use it for games and stuff. Soooooooo when I started makeing stuff on the internet I just used my first name plus that. so jacojerb was like my second identity already, though he's never had a face. And now he has one, and it's a fox, hehe. Just seemed right to use that name, it was already a part of me, I guess...
Mew?
Koda
Species: Wusky

Post by Koda »

Hmm, originally I was registered on the site as w0lfi... but i was always obsessed with Kodaw. Kodaw is a name that just randomly poped into my head when i was younger. had this observation with it since. so basically from there i started to develop my fursona in 2010. before that i just observed furries. Too conservative to actually get more involved.

Its Koda on the site because its shorter. Now I'm even thinking of changing my middle name to Kodaw ^.^
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Koda wrote:Hmm, originally I was registered on the site as w0lfi... but i was always obsessed with Kodaw. Kodaw is a name that just randomly poped into my head when i was younger. had this observation with it since. so basically from there i started to develop my fursona in 2010. before that i just observed furries. Too conservative to actually get more involved.

Its Koda on the site because its shorter. Now I'm even thinking of changing my middle name to Kodaw ^.^
I always just assumed you got it from the movie "Brother Bear". :P
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Koda
Species: Wusky

Post by Koda »

LOL... hahaha, never even taught about that hey. nut no, got it before the movie
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Necro-bump power over 9000!!! :lol:

So here's the story of "Leeward" (rhymes with "forward")...

There is a French-language sci-fi/space opera book trilogy written by Corinne Guitteaud called The Atlantis Trilogy (loosely translating, it was never translated to English - yes that means I'm a native French speaker) in which one of the main characters is Captain Ethan Leeward. He's charming and charismatic and is the love interest of the main protagonist, Governor Tamara Whalings. I've always identified more with male characters in fiction because the females are for the most part too meek in personality for my liking. Captain Leeward was a sort of role model in his no-nonsense, righteous, yet cunningly witty attitude. I've used the name as a gaming nick since about 2008.

The nautical term "leeward" itself means "downwind", as opposed to "windward", or "upwind". A hunter or predator would typically want to place themselves leeward/downwind of their prey while stalking to avoid being detected by smell. A ship's leeward side is the one not facing an oncoming wind. The lee shore of a lake or island is the side that faces the leeward side of a ship in it or upwind from it respectively. That is, the shore receiving wind from the water side as opposed to the land side.

When I picture a hero posing for example on a cliff, I always picture the wind blowing their hair/fur/cape backwards, and as such they would be standing on a lee shore. That created the extension "Shore" which I use as a last name if a website or some such wants one, or as an extension (as in "LeewardShore", such as on DeviantART) when the name is already taken.

So all in all, a character from a book I like, a hunter's position relative to their prey, and a heroic pose. That's how I chose the name.

<EDIT: The name had nothing to do with my fursona at first, in fact my fursona is not very developed at all. I came up with it before I even knew about furries. It's more of an alter-ego than anything else, and as such I think it's appropriate to give my fursona the same name, because I view both as a "truer" version of myself.>
Sticky_Fingers
Species: brown bear

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

I like telling variations on how I got my name but I guess the most pure explanation would be this:
When I was 11 and had just started playing video games, I was not any good at them at all. I used to joke that i was quite slow at it. I also figured that being an 11 year old online would make me quite annoying, so I wanted something to tie those two words together. My thought process went something like this: Slowmo, slow type, slow keys, slow fingers.

I thought that slow fingers sounded the funniest and tried to pick it but it was already taken. Also, the constant re-submission of names meant i had to press shift a lot. Then windows Sticky Keys popped up and I had a bit of an epiphany. Sticky Fingers. Perfect!

From there i started reasoning things backwards. To me the name made sense because of my addiction to knick-knacks and the horrid residue it leaves on the keyboard. I was also 11 and it was kind of disgusting sounding so it was fun to use.

Six years later and a very funny conversation with another person, I find out that Sticky Fingers is also an old English saying for someone who steals/pickpockets. Some people think that it is a kind of innuendo. Personally I don't like those interpretations but I guess it does make the name more jarring.

In terms of the furry community, I feel the name implies that my characters paws tend to have honey all over them. Though because of the deviant side of furry culture, I guess I like that the name kind of sits on the divide between those two facets.

Should i change it? I dunno. Hard to get rid of a name you have used for over 10 years.
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
Eylof
Species: Wolf
Location: Monte Vista , plattekloof glen , in your nightmares... joke ^^

Post by Eylof »

My name came easy....gf gave it to me, ;)
~The problem is not the problem... the problem is your attitude towards the problem~ Cpt. Jack Sparrow