Do furries use programs with animals as mascots more often?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Do furries use programs with animals as mascots more often?

Post by anoyomouse »

I was just wondering something

Why does everyone use Fireflop, erm firefox, when chrome is finally much better and faster ... is it because of the fox?

so, here's a question .. would you use Nero (massive 800MB) CD burning suite, or Droppix recorder (http://www.droppix.com) - note the anthro fox character as it's mascot

Would you use a generic CD program with spywawre - Daemon tools - or something with foxes and sheep (and free) from http://www.slysoft.com

okay, i'm baised, since i use all the "furry" alternatives two those two because they are actually better, but would you change just because of the character, or because of features

and if something was better than a "furry" program would you switch?
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Re: Do furries use programs with animals as mascots more often?

Post by Splicer-Fox »

That is really interesting.
I use FireFox never had a problem with it.
But I just got so used to it.

I did try google chrome in the beginning of the year and thought it was the same as FireFox.
So I stuck with FireFox.
I have seen all the wonderful tools on chrome nowadays because my colleges use it.
But I like to keep it all plain and simple so I use FireFox more. ( obviously have allot of browsers I use to test my websites).

I on that note:
How do you guys feel about games with furrys in it?
Here is Overgrowth and Lugaru :D

The website
http://www.wolfire.com
cool vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UcXDCEk ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyWgqdH ... re=channel
the Comic:
http://www.wolfire.com/comic#1

there are more games with furrys like:
Beyond good or evil,
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Star Fox...
um, care to mention more? ;)

But yeah, I think I would like to see more games with anthromorphs. :P
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Wasn't quite th point of the post, but yeah

Same thing as no furry wants to play Entropia universe ( http://www.planetcalypso.com ) because there are no furries in it, only hoomans, and it's too similar to SL .. well, it's nowhere like it, but it can consume your bank balance, so i tend to stay away from it these days (tho i probably have over $1000 worth of items in my inventory)
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well I use firefox... and now Linux, which has a penguin... But then again I hated Amarok so I use whatever I like.

I use Firefox rather than Chrome because I tried it and found it was horrible. There are no menus and stuff. What's the point of having menu's with functions when you can't find the things? So yeah, tried Chrome, couldn't hated the interface and raced right back to the fox.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Wolfskunk
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolf/Skunk Hybrid
Region: Western Cape

Post by Wolfskunk »

Nah I use what works best, but I must admit I think I do have a little bit of bias towards furry branded things.

As for games again it come down to if they're good or not. I never like Lugaru it feels very indie and low budget in a world where we get indie devs that make Braid, Limbo and Minecraft it doesn't cut it for me. Although I hear we have a second one coming out so I'll reserve judgement till I play it.

Beyond Good and Evil is one of my favourite games, furries aside it had a FANTASTIC story that pushed all the right buttons for me. It commented on the role media and news plays in society, it pushed forward of questioning people in positions of power. Brilliant bit of art.

Elder Scrolls was fun at the time, but Bethesda has never been particularly good at creating characters, there world however was very fun to mess about it in.

Star Fox(Smash Bro's too) is awesome in most of his games, plus as cliche as it is, Krystal is very sexy. Just wish we would see a new one on the Wii.

Other mentions would be World of Warcraft for their incredibly sexy Tauren woman(hypnotic tails) and soon Worgen, Pokemon, Sly Cooper, Tail Concerto, Final Fantasy(Anime girls with cat ears and tails are NOT furry), Darkstalkers and more.
>>A furry not bothered by conflict or opposing views<<
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Sorry about stepping of path. :oops:
I don't feel I do prefer some products and software over the other because it has a animal mascot.
I played Oblivion that has leopard and lizard furriers but I prefer Fallout by far.
Fallout has pipboy as a mascot and he is human.

My mother works at a mass distributor of snack foods and sweets. (so I get to try a lot of sweets that you will never even see in your average store)
A lot of sweet brands use a animal or character on their products. (like Simba or Willard’s)
I never liked any product more because it had a animal character on it.
In fact most of the snack-foods I eat have no mascots on at all.

So yeah I would not say I use something because it has a animal/furry mascot.
I use FireFox because I always did.
I don't think chrome is better nor worse. (Explorer is crap – the bane of the web developer :x ).
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Yeah, I use Firefox just because it's familiar and what I am used to. I've never found it lacking so I've never bothered moving off of it (talk about comfort zones) - that it has a fox mascot as nothing to do with that choice. In general, my use of software is purely utilitarian with no bias towards animal mascots.

My first Elder scrolls (Morrowind) character was actually a lizzard man, I mostly played as self-righteous, xenophobic humans. Death to the enemies of man!

Ironically in Earth Eternal ,a free to play MMO that was made recently which I dabbled in the beta for like a week before the lag pissed me off, which had a LARGE furry following because about 16 races 12 of which were furries (they had bunny men, rat men, goat men, fox men, wolf men etc. (they even had to adress the issue of if it was a furry game in the FAQ in which they said no, and mentioned that the developers were not furries either)) I chose to play as a clockwork :P a cold-hearted, non-furry machine.
Other than that in WOW I mainly play as human or undead, but damn do the Worgen look cool. If ever I play Cataclysm, I will definitely play as a Worgen now and forever amen.

So, when it comes to gaming I am not biased towards ALL furry types: just some of them. Had the wolf race in Earth Eternal not been completely over-populated, or had there been a Hyena race then I probably wouldn't have been a clockwork...that and gaming mascots like Bubsy or Miles 'Tails' Prower will always have a special place with me ;)
Hahaha! :lol:
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

I just use firefox cause I don't like google :P

And no, not because it doesn't have an animal mascot :P

For example: Yahoo takes on average about 15 seconds to run a search. Google... i stop waiting after a minute.

And due to that, I won't use chrome :P

But in general, i do hear many stories about furs going more for the animal mascoted items, especially if they are of the same species. Although, I haven't run any stats (damn you psychological research stats module) so i wouldn't be able to comment on any correlation until I get data.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Hargan wrote:For example: Yahoo takes on average about 15 seconds to run a search. Google... i stop waiting after a minute.
Google wrote:About 650,000,000 results (0.11 seconds)
What searches are you running? I searched that through my quick search bar and it took maybe 2 secs counting from pressing enter to the page loading. Google says it only spent 0.11 seconds of that doing the search though. 15 seconds just means you need a new pc or connection.

EDIT: Also moving this to the furry chat section as this is about furs, or more specifically their programme preferences.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Yukon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Husky/wolf

Post by Yukon »

I can say that it often does influence me, at least to try something. I stopped playing games in early high school, mostly as they stopped holding my attention after so much gaming when I was younger. My brother acquired Morrowind Bloodmoon - when I saw the werewolf box, I just HAD to try it! As it happens, I enjoyed and finished it (as a werewolf of course), and same with Oblivion (even though Oblivion didn't have any good anthro chars IMO). Those sum up the only two games I've put serious attention to in the past 10 years :p

Something furry related can certainly catch my interest and influence my decision to try something out, but at the end of the day I'll still go for the better product, not just because of the mascot.

Thanx for some of the links in the above posts :)
There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don't.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

I have used every browser on my desktop and honestly for some reason Firefox is the fastest and I think it looks the best. I have to use Chrome on my laptop as my laptop is f***ed up, but still use FF on my OSX side. But I would never use programs because they have a furry theme / animal theme, I just go on past experiences, reviews and/or necessity.
Rags_Wox
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: wolf fox

Post by Rags_Wox »

never thought about it. I use firefox, slysoft, clonedvd, furrysearchengine, and majority of the games play had at least 1 furry in it. jak and daxter, ratchet and clank, crash bandicoot, sly raccoon, starfox, warcraft, guildwars, crono-trigger, bloody roar, sonic the hedgehog. And that is not even a quarter of what i have played
We don't always wrestle our inner demons. Sometimes we just cuddle