Back around again after a long detour

Come in and introduce yourself! Don't be shy now. We don't bite. Expect a few licks though...
elysium
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Emperor Penguin
Region: Gauteng

Back around again after a long detour

Post by elysium »

Hey everyone.

So I actually registered an account on here in 2008(!) and was a little active back then as well. I was young at the time, still in high school, and quite isolated from everyone and with no real way to be in contact with people physically, so I drifted away from the forum a bit for various reasons (mostly I'm just bad with social stuff and have only been getting progressively worse at it over the years), so I kinda just... never really got involved, just ended up having my own very small circle of very close furry friends (mostly American, honestly). Still not sure I will be physically present in the community all that much, going to meetups and whatnot (though I suppose I might try to go to the convention next year, circumstances dependent), but I do feel that I should be a bit more active with the local group online, at the very least. I'm still very socially awkward (perhaps even more than I was back then), so don't expect miracles from me around being very social with everyone, but I'll try a bit at least. Feel a bit awkward with the thought of just butting into random conversations, but I'll do what I can, do just be patient with me if I struggle a little.

Uh... so, I suppose I should talk about myself a bit. My sona is an emperor penguin. I'm a Masters student in psychology right now, though I did also do a philosophy honours in between things as well. My tastes for things generally run quite geeky; I love science fiction and fantasy, and I'm a bit of an animation nerd. I play some videogames, but my tastes tend to run a little old and weird; I'm a massive fan of oldschool point-and-click adventure mostly, I've played wayyyyyyy too many of those.

I'm also pretty bad at this social stuff, so like, if you want to know more, just ask I guess?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Back around again after a long detour

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Wow. I think you're still the only penguin fur I've ever seen. But returning after an 11 year absence! That is unusual. Welcome back though. :) I'm glad you didn't forget about us.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

Welcome back! I hope that you enjoy your time here and are able to make a few new friends. :3
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
elysium
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Emperor Penguin

Post by elysium »

Thanks guys! Coming back is something I have considered a couple of times before now, life just has had a way of getting in the way a bit. Part of what pushed me into coming up was all the media coverage last year showing me that the community here has grown quite a bit while I wasn't looking at it, and so feeling like there was maybe a bit more I could actually do with everyone now that there's more of us and I've gotten a bit older and am no longer an awkward teenager. Would've come back a bit earlier, but my recent studies (last year's philosophy honours especially) were hell and I didn't really have time or energy. But it is good to be back.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Ivic and others have got the convention going nicely and we've got fursuiters who have done spots on radio and TV. The South African furry community has made huge strides in the last 10 years!
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Finally, a fur who can answer the age old question... do you have knees???

Its so cool that you've come back after all these years! don't worry about the whole social thing, a lot of furs are a bit awkward... I am the most awkward extrovert ever!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Hi Elysium! You are one veteran fur! I actually recall having seen your original intro thread back in 2009 when I joined. Anyway, it's nice to see a returning fur! Welcome back, and enjoy your stay!

You say on your profile your hobbies include nerdy and geeky things? Delightful, I am sure you will fit right in! Also, psychology is a fascinating field to be studying in, so that's great too!

I hope you enjoy your stay and find many friends. :)
Hahaha! :lol: