Greetings from the hearth of Europe

Come in and introduce yourself! Don't be shy now. We don't bite. Expect a few licks though...
Lweek
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Other

Greetings from the hearth of Europe

Post by Lweek »

Mreow everybody!

I'm 34 yo furry guy from Czech republic. I've came here to meet fellow furs from South Africa because I'm considering visit this beautiful place and I want to learn about realm that I will come to. It would be nice to make some friends.

What is my motivation and what is my goal. First, my fursona is a lion. I'm part of furry fandom since 1994 when I saw The Lion King. That was the time I felt in love with Africa wildlife. My primary income come from programming. I used to be professional programmer building high traffic web applications. Then I moved to making mobile apps for iOS. However I like programming my true passion is animal photography. I've spent most of my free time traveling european Zoos and parks. And that's my motivation for traveling Africa. I want to be on place where I always dreamed to be taking photos.

Traveling Africa seems to be exceptionally expensive. For a two weeks to spend in commercial lodge is super expensive. Czech republic is not place where you can earn as high money to do luxury traveling. Not the mention fact that it is not what I really want. I want true experience not a theatre for rich people. So my plan is travel to South Africa to get a job as a programmer and in free time travel and explore African wildlife. It gives a lot of sense to me yet it scares me a bit. I know nothing about living in Africa. But that's why it's called an adventure, right? :)

Otherwise I'm electric guitar player, a bit experience playing bass. Gamer, hiker. I'm volunteer in several organisations. I'm running "ZooHackatons" events where programmers create open source software and hardware to help organisations which saves wild animals across this planet. Include forests in Central Africa (Kedjom Keku) and South Africa (Save Elephants).

Oukie, I think I wrote way too much letters for now. Sorry for it. :) ... and sorry for my weird english. It's true I'm not native english speaker.
Lweek - fursona
Lweek - fursona
Lweek in real life
Lweek in real life
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Greetings from the hearth of Europe

Post by Adagio »

Actually. You're English isn't bad at all... I didn't notice any grammatical errors!

Hey! Welcome to the forums dude!
Wow! You're from Czechoslovakia? They make some of the best guns!
I myself have 2 from there...

Well! I hope you meet some of the great people here... They really are a great bunch!
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

What, a foreign Fur?! Nah just kidding.

Everyone is welcome here. The forum. The country is best described by Stitch; "Broken and lost... But still good"

Hope you enjoy it here (the forum) and maybe one day here (the country). Anyone still following this...?
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Greetings, and welcome to the forum. We're a friendly bunch here, so if you have any questions about South Africa, don't hesitate to ask. :)

We also have a couple of furs who've dabbled in a bit of wildlife photography. You can check out their threads here. :3

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3716
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2256
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Adagio wrote:Czechoslovakia
Czechoslovakia peacefully dissolved into the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.

Welcome! We have a few expats of our own in Europe, so we're very multi-cultural. :P
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote:
Adagio wrote:Czechoslovakia
Czechoslovakia peacefully dissolved into the Czech Republic and Slovakia in 1993.

Welcome! We have a few expats of our own in Europe, so we're very multi-cultural. :P
Haha! Oops...

I just know the old CZ's all said "Made in Czechoslovakia"

Sorry about that!
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

Hey there and welcome to the forum!
Hope you'll have a great time and find what you're looking for.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

Adagio: No worries Adagio! Even CNN sometimes call us Czechoslovakia this days. :D We don't mind. A lot of us think that this separation was unnecessary. Our culture is quite common and even now our countries making TV shows together etc.

I'm a bit surprised that Czech republic is that famous for making guns. May I ask are guns essential in South Africa or it is just your hobby? :) Czech republic is mostly famous for beer. Our country is beer origin. We produce a lot of beer and we are objectively best of best. Funny fact about CZ is that beer cost here less than water in restaurants. :D There are small and large breweries everywhere here. Well I guess that rest of world thing that Germany is origin of beer but they are not. As far as I know beer was invented in 15th century and promoted by King and Ceasar of Bohemia, Carl IV. But I'm not that good in history. x)

Contrast: That's what I'm looking for. I would be definitely happy to share my passion for photography with you. Thank you! :)

Cape_F0X: Yeah well troubles everywhere. I have furry friends in Brasil. They are on brink of civil war at the very moment. Europe has problem with immigrant crysis and Asia with North Korea. Maybe South Africa will be last peaceful place on the Earth. :D
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

You are right. Every country has its problems.

A lot of the problems (everywhere) just feel so unnecessary.
But that's enough negativity for one day.

This is a happy place.
@Adagio; I said that with a straight face, don't pad my room or give me those pills. OK!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Howdy! Glad to see more foreigners taking interest in the speck down there :P (I love you guys in the speck).

How many furs are in Czech Republic... do you guys have a furry convention? I'm now based in London and wanna get to know European furs more and once I have a paying job, actually go and visit them!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Cape_F0X wrote: This is a happy place.
@Adagio; I said that with a straight face, don't pad my room or give me those pills. OK!
You are walking on some thin ice Vos!
Don't push your luck!
Lweek wrote:Adagio: No worries Adagio! Even CNN sometimes call us Czechoslovakia this days. :D We don't mind. A lot of us think that this separation was unnecessary. Our culture is quite common and even now our countries making TV shows together etc.

I'm a bit surprised that Czech republic is that famous for making guns. May I ask are guns essential in South Africa or it is just your hobby?
Well... My dad is a gunsmith... So they are a large part of MY life...

The CZ75 is my all time favorite gun!
And the Mauser's CZ makes are also of the best!
BRNO are HIGHLY sought after... Especially the old ones among collectors...

I'm not gonna lie... The economy is on the fritz at the moment...
But don't let that discourage you!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

RavenSong wrote:do you guys have a furry convention?
There seem to be two of them! And Eurofurence 9 was held in the Czech Republic.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

RavenSong wrote:How many furs are in Czech Republic... do you guys have a furry convention?
Hey RavenSong, haven't we met back in 2014 in summer London furmeet? Your nick sounds familiar to me. :) Well approx number of furs here is about 1 thousand. We got three conventions. CesFur is biggest one. Then Zodiac Con and MiniFur. You'll be welcome here. :) Flights from London Luton to Prague are as cheap as 30 pounds per flight. I used to live in London for six months in 2014. I miss that place sometime. London is harsh place to live but I love London's culture and architecture scene. Only I could complain about was accommodation. Exchanged three places. One was infected by bed bugs (really nice experience), second was super loud place and third almost killed me ... got electrified by shower. xD Otherwise pretty lovely place. :D
Adagio wrote:Well... My dad is a gunsmith... So they are a large part of MY life...
Ahh that explains a lot. I definitely understand your interest in guns. Those are very elegant machines. We are not very used to guns here as long as we have very firm rules about handling them. Sometimes I wish guns are not used for crime but that is very naive wish.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Nah, I've only been in London since September 2015...

Only thirty pounds!!! that's brilliant!!! I am definitely going to save up and come over! I've always wanted to go to Prague, with it's really awesome clock!

London is pretty when it wants to be... but the people and the fact that space is such an issue makes it less appealing :)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Lweek wrote:Czech republic is mostly famous for beer. Our country is beer origin. We produce a lot of beer and we are objectively best of best. Funny fact about CZ is that beer cost here less than water in restaurants. :D There are small and large breweries everywhere here. Well I guess that rest of world thing that Germany is origin of beer but they are not. As far as I know beer was invented in 15th century and promoted by King and Ceasar of Bohemia, Carl IV. But I'm not that good in history. x)
South Africa and Namibia are also really into their beers; just look at the size of SAB.

Similarly, everyone thinks that vodka was invented in Russia. It was invented in Poland, and the best vodka apparently still comes from there.
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

RavenSong wrote:Nah, I've only been in London since September 2015...

Only thirty pounds!!! that's brilliant!!! I am definitely going to save up and come over! I've always wanted to go to Prague, with it's really awesome clock!

London is pretty when it wants to be... but the people and the fact that space is such an issue makes it less appealing :)
Let me know (send me PM) if you would like to help with your travel. So where is your origin? :)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:South Africa and Namibia are also really into their beers; just look at the size of SAB.
But SAB isn't just SAB. It got bought/merged become SAB Miller. And, if I recall correctly, SAB-Miller got bought out a couple of months ago.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

Welcome to the forum, new furry one :)
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Lweek wrote:
RavenSong wrote:Nah, I've only been in London since September 2015...

Let me know (send me PM) if you would like to help with your travel. So where is your origin? :)
Johannesburg South Africa :)

Rakuen SAB-Miller has not yet been bought out by Anheuser-Busch InBev, but it is in the process of being acquired by them
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Oh my goodness, Taka is going to love you.

Just one second...
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

RavenSong wrote:Johannesburg South Africa :)
Whoa! That was probably kind of shock from Joburg to London. :-) I mean the weather and overall atmosphere. :-)
Sev wrote:Oh my goodness, Taka is going to love you.
Ha haa, Taka ... sounds lionish :3
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Lweek wrote: Whoa! That was probably kind of shock from Joburg to London. :-) I mean the weather and overall atmosphere. :-)
I'm still waiting for the spring they keep lying to me about. It's still cold like it was in winter and the only change so far is the days are longer... I WANT WARM :P
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

RavenSong wrote:
Lweek wrote: Whoa! That was probably kind of shock from Joburg to London. :-) I mean the weather and overall atmosphere. :-)
I'm still waiting for the spring they keep lying to me about. It's still cold like it was in winter and the only change so far is the days are longer... I WANT WARM :P
Yep, tell me about it. Czech republic have almost identical weather as United Kingdom unless we have more dry summer. I guess it is because we have no sea nor ocean. :D
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, he's a lion. I showed him the thread, but he never responded.
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Oooooh! We have a Czech fur! This is awesome.
Welcome to the forum Lweek!
Stick around and you're going to have an absolutely splendid time, I can guarantee it :P
Lweek

Post by Lweek »

Neon wrote:Oooooh! We have a Czech fur! This is awesome.
Welcome to the forum Lweek!
Stick around and you're going to have an absolutely splendid time, I can guarantee it :P
Sounds promising :3 Thank you! :D
Sev wrote:Yeah, he's a lion. I showed him the thread, but he never responded.
Hmm, new lion in the pride is always potential risk. He have to observe first to detect this treats. :D *just kiddin'
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Welcome to the forums and sorry for the late reply. Ah wow a fur from a place that I've always wanted to. I'm pretty sure that if you visit there will be plenty of furs wanting to meet you. Hope you enjoy your stay.
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

There was a German Fur that was on this forum a while ago. I wonder what happened to him.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You probably mean ph3, he's still around on IRC.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, and which IRC is this?