IMPORTANT: Forum users safety in online interactions

Come in and introduce yourself! Don't be shy now. We don't bite. Expect a few licks though...
VoxLupus
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: FuzzDragon
Region: Western Cape

Re: IMPORTANT: Forum users safety in online interactions

Post by VoxLupus »

Hey, sorry about this.
I feel that their is a misunderstanding and I think I should try clear things up.

I can't remember everything from then, it was a long time ago, but I do recall Splicer referencing the fandom in front of some friends, and mentioned some other members of zafur that that were their (who he then introduced me to later). I did feel a little uncomfortable about it because my friends didn't know I was a furry and I was afraid I would have to explain myself to them or make something up. It was silly of me I admit and I was a little insecure.

I felt like the The furry community and the fandom was one part of my life and my friends from varsity were another part and I didn't want the two mixing. It is quite funny how things did eventually turn out. I found out one of my friends from University that was at rage at that time was a furry and I am now dating a furry. We have also become a part of each others circle of friends outside of the fandom. So much for keeping the two separate.

The point is, at the time, I was not comfortable with my friends finding out I was a furry and even now I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing up the subject with a lot of my friends. I felt like avoiding you because I was afraid of that happening. You are still my friend though and I did feel like I had been trying to avoid you. I felt bad about that which is why I invited you to go to mcdonalds. I also believed that it was unlikely that the topic of furries would come up again so I did feel more comfortable then.

I think it is possible that others could be in the same boat I was at that time, and may choose not to associate with the fandom when in the company of friends from outside the fandom because they don't want to have to explain things to their friends that they feel their friends might not understand.

It isn't personal, and it is nothing against the furry community.
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Ryall wrote: Splicer, don't act like a victim alright? This is not about you. Vox likes to keep his furry life and his normal life separate, so when he likes to hang out with you, he doesn't like to hang out with his varsity friends, and when he likes to hang out with his varsity friends, he doesn't like to hang out with you, or at least, that's how it was 2 years ago.
He invited you to McDonald's because even though he didn't like mixing his varsity friends with his fur friends, he's not spineless, and he wouldn't desert a friend.

The only point I was trying to make in the first place, was that not everybody is comfortable with flaunting their fur in public, and that that is maybe why the furs you mentioned earlier didn't want to associate. That's all I was saying.
You opened up that tin can of worms yourself Ryall.
You suggested that I compromise people friendships by exposing secrets.
What you are trying to do is justify paranoia and my exclusion form other friend groups because of what I might tell other people. (which I wont do)

I was not rubbing my furry-ness in peoples faces.
So stop making sound like i do that.

As i said before...
The people i mentioned were openly furries and were at the I-con.
They did not avoid me, they avoid the ZA-fandome.
People get overly trusting with people they thought were supportive/friendly and got burned for it.

That is the point i was trying to make.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'm locking this thread. If you would like to discuss actual points that people can follow then I would welcome a new thread. If you still want to comment on my points you can also do so on Flayrah where they were part of a more general piece on security in the fandom.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~