map for the forum

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
Steed
Huskyboi's Horsie
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Horse
Region: Western Cape

map for the forum

Post by Steed »

I have suggested to our mousey that he add the phoogle map mod seen here
http://bassface3d.com/v103/phoogle_map.php
to the forum
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Re: map for the forum

Post by Dracius »

Pretty interesting idea. We could look into it, though dont forget about the very very simple indication of location under each persons avatar.

Though, not as cool looking as the map ;)
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I suggested to Keita showing the users' location on the member list. It can sort by location but that's pretty useless unless it shows what those locations are.
Yiffstar has a map in it that doesn't look too bad.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by Dracius »

Mmm, yes I think a map would definitely look the best..

What about a really small map below the avatar space? Showing a dot that more or less shows the position of the user, but by clicking on the map, it would open in a new window and show a more detailed map + all the current users positions that are on the forums? (this could have an enable/disable function as the user can opt not to show a location..)

I'll look into it. Though, what ya think of that?
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Red »

Hrm, that sounds like an interesting component to add in, but remember, there is not exactly a lot of space to squeeze in map information in a 100X100px image! What about a small image of the country that the user is from (most of you would be South Africa anyway) and the location in the actual country with the other dots coloured different to show the nearby users? Might be a bit too complex to make though... =\

Cheers, Red. :)
This signature is blank.
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Keita Haruka »

What about a "frapprmap"? It can easily be linked to within a dedeicated topic, and shows username and exact location, plus any other info you'd care to add. It doesn't clutter the forum page since it's offsite but still easily accessible and easy to use.
anoyomouse
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Best idea would be to have a special page that shows everyone's location, etc, i say phoogle does something like that, but i need to look into it

The code for phoogle is also a liiiiitle but complex and twisted, so it might mean a bit of downtime just to make sure it's still working 100% after it's in, we'll see
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Post by Red »

Might be a best idea to keep it simple in the end though, no point pulling out the furs just to get a little eye candy to show up on the site. I am happy with the way how this site is at the moment, so the map if it could be done without too much of a problem is a nice bonus, but not really needed.

Cheers, Red. :)
This signature is blank.
Steed
Huskyboi's Horsie
Species: Horse

Post by Steed »

Guys,

I suggest you actually go look at the demo link. It is made and designed for php bb and from what I seen works well. Mousey said he would look at it but I not heard back from him about it yet. The demo uses google maps (which are license free when on a public site) and gives a small smiley type icon to mark the user. clicking on that shows an ajax popup with the users profile pic, details, and im/pm and other such stuff. All in all its quite accessable.

Regards,

Steed.
anoyomouse
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

The phoogle code is really twisted and complex and needs time to integrate, time which i don't have at the moment due to work.

if anyone wants to mod phpbb and insert phoogle, i can then take the modified files and upload them, i just don't want any site downtime due to the changes.
Another thing is that the changes would need to be made on any upgrades to the phpbb codebase, so would require maintenence and therefore more work.

why can't there be like 5 of me working on things i want to do?
~~~(___^> *squeak*