Short Films Thread is SUPER Broken

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Short Films Thread is SUPER Broken

Post by Contrast »

Not sure if this is just a problem on my end, but the Short Films thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3937 appears to be super broken. At first I figured it must be because of the new BBCode breaking all the old videos, but the music threads all seem to be working just fine, even if you can't see the old videos anymore. The Short Films thread, however, is so busted you can't even use the full editor on there. Some posts are blank and overlapping, and some have these weird breaks between them. It's just weird.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Short Films Thread is SUPER Broken

Post by Adagio »

Hey! Checking it out, and it isn't just for you.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well... that is not supposed to look that way...
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Okay. Good news and bad news.

The good news is 1) the problem only seems to be in that thread at the moment (for unknown reasons) and has not yet been seen elsewhere and 2) it's relatively easy to fix.
The problem is caused by the Black forum style which is currently the default but was made for an older version of PHPBB. If you go to the control panel and change your board style to either the Prosilver or Digi styles, the thread will display correctly again. Mostly correctly anyway, Prosilver seemed to change width part of the way.

The bad news is we might need to find a new default style for the forum. Personally, I think the other two installed styles are quite ugly. There are some options that we can try out but I will need to spend some time looking at them. Ideally, we would have a forum-specific style but we need someone that knows how to edit phpbb styles. No one volunteered the last time we changed styles.

Since the problem is limited to one thread right now, I don't think we need to make any rushed changes. All can be dealt with in the fullness of time and at the appropriate juncture when all things have been considered.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

If it's plain CSS I don't mind having a look.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm If it's plain CSS I don't mind having a look.
According to their documentation on editing styles "A good understanding of HTML, CSS (and JS) is required." I do not have those but if you do we would be most appreciative of the help.

The article on editing styles is here and continues from some topics introduced here. The style we are currently using is here if you would like to look at that.

If you are able to do it, we will have to have a wider discussion on what we want and need. I think the current style's structure is good (better than the other ones) but there is definitely a lot of room for improvement.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I am reasonably familiar with the HTML/CSS/JS environment but I've never tinkered with phpBB so I'll need to familiarise myself with it first. I'm also quite busy with work as always. Honestly if I were you I would rather outsource this to a pro who'll do it within an hour, it's far less trouble than dealing with someone who will do it for free. Another alternative would be to look for a better theme that works out-of-the-box.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

That was what I said before you offered to help... We will be looking at the different options available and seeing what is the best direction to take.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Here is the dark themes category, looks like a lot of them support the latest version. Why not test some?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I know. I am literally looking through them right now. But, like I said, ideally we would have a forum-specific style. I'm just not sure why you said you would be willing to look and as soon as I said okay, started telling me to go back to my original plan.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Clearly you're way ahead of me and we misunderstood each other. Forget I said anything.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Okay, maybe this isn't just an old style thing. I installed a new style which is updated for the latest version of phpbb but the thread was still broken in that style. In fact the style that works the best on that thread, Digi, was also built for an earlier version of phpbb. So I'm not entirely sure what it is about that thread that is causing the problem.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:10 pm Okay, maybe this isn't just an old style thing. I installed a new style which is updated for the latest version of phpbb but the thread was still broken in that style. In fact the style that works the best on that thread, Digi, was also built for an earlier version of phpbb. So I'm not entirely sure what it is about that thread that is causing the problem.
Has anyone checked the music video thread? Maybe it's the amount of embedded videos throwing it off
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Music video thread looks good. And if it displays in some themes then it shouldn't be a problem that its too much for the database or something like that. In any case, it's all broken into smaller pages so it never loads too much stuff. Another strange part is that there is enough of the first post available that I can edit it and it previews perfectly. There's no sign that anything is wrong with that first post but somehow it becomes a blob of posts.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

The thread has been fixed. Basically, something went wrong with the spoiler sections, so all spoiler warnings there have been removed and now it looks normal once again.
A huge thank you to GreenReaper for taking a look and helping me narrow down the problem. And by narrow down I basically mean tell me what was wrong.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Wooo! Thanks Rakuen and GreenReaper! :)
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Thats why we keep Greenreaper… because he fixes things and has cuddly puppets for Raven to cuddle!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I didn't know Greenreaper was a member here?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

He didn't have to log in to see the thread but yes. He's been a member since 2008 and has posted occasionally.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
GreenReaper
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Kai Norn (Creatures)

Post by GreenReaper »

Adagio wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 am I didn't know Greenreaper was a member here?
I'm everywhere, man. I'm like the wind. A green, cheesy wind.
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - WikiFur - Flayrah - Inkbunny
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

GreenReaper wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:24 pm
Adagio wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 am I didn't know Greenreaper was a member here?
I'm everywhere, man. I'm like the wind. A green, cheesy wind.
Spoooookyyyyy!
Also! Hai! ^^

I was actually wondering if you joined for a reason? It could possibly be an interesting story! XD
Or you know, could be something like "I joined because. I dunno. Why not" :roll:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Now I'm curious, do you know GreenReaper?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

And yet he doesn't reply to polite Twitter DMs. :?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Leeward don't be offended, I once stood behind him at a furmeet for five minutes before he noticed my amazing presence... which reminds me, I need to see you again GreenReaper!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso