See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
TheRealInja
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: African Wild Dog
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by TheRealInja »

Hi Guys,

When trying to upload an avatar, no matter the size, it is telling me it is outside of the allowed dimensions. Just to test this I created an avatar which was 20x20 pixels and still it is telling me it is in the region of 1280x800 pixels. Is there a trick to uploading avatars or is it not reading file sizes and dimensions correctly?

Warm Regards,
Inja
First do no harm, then try leave things better than you found them.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Avatar upload issues

Post by Leeward »

What was the file size (not image dimensions)? There's a 150KB limit. I just uploaded a 300x300 118KB PNG just fine.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

The allowed dimensions are that it must be bigger than 20 x 20, smaller than 300 x 300 and no more than 150 kb. If your avatar was between those dimensions, was it maybe an unusual file type? At least jpg, png and gif should all work.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
TheRealInja

Post by TheRealInja »

File size is 45.5Kb, dimensions 300x285 pixels and in jpeg format. I've uploaded avatars to other sites and forums before and these dimensions are pretty standard so not sure why it's giving me an issue now. Could be a bug in Chrome browser, will try with Firefox and see.

Edit: Just tried with Firefox and same issue.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I just tried uploading with Firefox and didn't have an issue. It does seem very user specific. No super long name or weird characters?

Perhaps Valerion has some suggestion for what could be the problem?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Maybe it has a colour index for compression purposes that's causing the issue?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Although he did say he made other test avatars which worked. I dunno if those were completely separate pictures or resizing the original picture that wasn't working.

TheRealInja, have you tried just saving an avatar picture directly off this site and seeing if you can upload that yourself?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Alternatively you can send me the pic and I'll see if there's something wrong with it.
TheRealInja

Post by TheRealInja »

I suspect Leeward is correct about the colour palette. I can upload both of your avatars just fine. Seems I need to simplify the colours or find an alternate simpler avatar then. Thanks for all the help :3

Edit: Seems it didn't like it in JPEG format but PNG works just fine.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Glad you got it sorted out. :)