Why is this locked?

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
Blitzy
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Probably Cape Fox
Region: Western Cape

Why is this locked?

Post by Blitzy »

Why is this particular topic locked?

viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4676
Your friendly neighborhood stoic
Blitzy

Re: Why is this locked?

Post by Blitzy »

Alright, I retract my statement, a massive pointless argument broke out,
I must analyze these sometime,
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Because people, and furries in particular for some reason, seem to be physically incapable of keeping quiet when they disagree; they have to make it known lest they... I don't know, explode with repressed disapproval? Or maybe implode with sheer self-control? Who knows.

It's easier to criticise someone else's initiative than to take your own... but we knew that already, it's practically a cliché.

Anyway, as I said on that thread, you're most welcome to direct any questions about the Furnace to me. :)
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

Leeward wrote:Because people, and furries in particular for some reason, seem to be physically incapable of keeping quiet when they disagree; they have to make it known lest they... I don't know, explode with repressed disapproval?
That's not very nice, Leeward. There's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning something, especially something so big that could potentially have a massive impact on the things we like, e.g. the fandom
Mew?
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Leeward wrote:incapable of keeping quiet when they disagree
They should be silenced =_=
People who take initiative know what’s best for everybody.
Those who do nothing and yet impede progress, are the true enemies of the community.
41tTZSUxoyL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg
41tTZSUxoyL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg (6.97 KiB) Viewed 5178 times
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm being compared to Hitler now, how droll. :lol: And what might that potential massive impact be, hmm? I never once said I knew what's best for everybody; all I did was create a new forum. If you have such a huge problem with me doing that, the answer is simple: don't join it, and be more active here instead. Critique, constructive criticism and questions are one thing, and I welcome those with open arms. However, bashing an idea to make yourself feel good or reinforce whatever misplaced loyalty you may have towards whatever said idea is attempting to improve upon just makes you look like an imbecile. Similarly, playing devil's advocate just for the sake of throwing oil on the fire is just as toxic and unhelpful. I find it kind of funny how the naysayers are always the ones who have the least to contribute. Doing nothing apart from complaining about what others are doing, is purely destructive and achieves absolutely nothing apart from show how desperate you are for a share of the attention someone else is getting. Empty vessels make the most noise and whatnot.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Leeward, I really can't help but take this personally, seeing as I was one of the main "naysayers"... And what you're saying is really hurtful

What you are doing is arguably destructive. I argued it. And I still say that it will be destructive... I don't care about attention. I care about the fandom...

A lot of people agree with me. Second forum = devided activity between the forums = less activity on either forums = worse off fandom

Yes, my advice is purely destructive. But sometimes someone has to point out that a bad idea is bad. Sometimes the best advice one can possibly give is "don't"

I realise you're not gonna listen to this advice, and I respect that.

But calling me an imbecile? An attention whore? That's really not nice...
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Does that make it any less true though?

You're being unduly pessimistic and not seeing the big picture here. What about growing the fandom? The fact of the matter is ZAFur doesn't appeal to a large portion of current and potential furries for various reasons. I'm attempting to address that shortfall by making something different (which is partly still in the works so don't tell me it's just another forum, I know). If you prefer ZAFur that's your prerogative, and I'm sure the active users that feel the same way will stay; you don't need to tell me that I'm being divisive because in all likelihood those are the people you want to keep interacting with. I've heard it all before and carefully considered it, and frankly I think it's not true, and I've repeatedly explained why. Shouting it in my face and calling me names isn't conducive to changing my mind about it at all.

You say I'm not being nice, but you keep harping on about how it's a bad idea without even giving it a chance. If all you have to offer is a "don't", you may as well keep it to yourself because it's almost guaranteed that whoever you're saying it to has already thought about it, so it's just about the most useless piece of advice in existence. People have enough doubt about their endeavours already without adding other people's negativity.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Just when it seemed that the local community couldn't become more fractured... This arguing isn't helping anyone.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

We could argue endlessly about forum politics and logistics, but ultimately we are a community. Admittedly, one that is occasionally under strain, but that just highlights how diverse we are. Or insane. ;)

Whether there are two forums or only one, I believe that ultimately friends will remain friends. I maintain that that it is not like two buckets dividing a volume of water. Furries are a little more dynamic and tight-knit than that. :P

It seems the arguments about the forums are being more divisive than the forums themselves. :lol:
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

You missed an opportunity to do that thing you once did before a topic got locked. And if you do it here the question will be answered.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Galahad wrote:I maintain that that it is not like two buckets dividing a volume of water. Furries are a little more dynamic and tight-knit than that. :P
I'm just going to leave this here: Standards
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Cape_F0X wrote:You missed an opportunity to do that thing you once did before a topic got locked. And if you do it here the question will be answered.
You mean say what I think of the ZAFur administration? That may have been the catalyst, but it's no longer my driving motivation, and therefore is no longer relevant.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

I was taking to Galahad. Maybe I should try what he did.

If everyone agrees Cape_F0X is a sexy beast there should be not further comments.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

:lol:

Nein, Cape! Bad fox! There can only be one sexy beast, and the legend has it that he is a raptor!
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Dammit :( Guess I'll have to settle for beautiful on the inside.
Blitzy

Post by Blitzy »

:<

Look, I still have to see how the argument came to be,
I just saw there is one.

And I think we need to figure out a way to settle our differences, I suspect there is some serious misunderstanding.
Arguments don't come from nothing.

Time for peace, can we work to that?
Blitzy

Post by Blitzy »

Leeward wrote:Because people, and furries in particular for some reason, seem to be physically incapable of keeping quiet when they disagree; they have to make it known lest they... I don't know, explode with repressed disapproval? Or maybe implode with sheer self-control? Who knows.

It's easier to criticise someone else's initiative than to take your own... but we knew that already, it's practically a cliché.

Anyway, as I said on that thread, you're most welcome to direct any questions about the Furnace to me. :)
I shall attempt to deliver a comment on this without portraying a percievable agressive move.

So you say they should keep quiet upon disagreement,
I would say, Disagree but with discreetness, we have debates and we should thus calmly discuss the situation, like I am doing with this statement. I disagree with you, but I am not going full on assault.

To critise an initiative requires the same style of approach, straight out agression is unacceptable, but constructive critisism is ok.

I want to advocate for calm reasonable discussion, whenever I am here.

At the end of the day, all is cool, I have no problems with the Furnace.
We're still cool, us, right?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Blitzy wrote::<

Look, I still have to see how the argument came to be,
I just saw there is one.

And I think we need to figure out a way to settle our differences, I suspect there is some serious misunderstanding.
Arguments don't come from nothing.

Time for peace, can we work to that?
Well, it all started when Someone said briefs are the best.
Then I told them that's only true if you enjoy having your junk crushed, body shorts for me thank you.
And because this is The Internet, a massive argument ensued.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I'd like to point out to those who are apposed to the Furnace that:

I am currently the highest poster here on ZaFur and am still fairly active here
I am one of the highest posters on Furnace and am still fairly active there...

having two forums going at once isn't difficult... it's like having DA and FA open at the same time...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Isn't your 'amazing security/system/[insert label here] admin' just Randall? Lol.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

RavenSong wrote:I'd like to point out to those who are apposed to the Furnace that:

I am currently the highest poster here on ZaFur and am still fairly active here
I am one of the highest posters on Furnace and am still fairly active there...

having two forums going at once isn't difficult... it's like having DA and FA open at the same time...
Thats your opinion Raven.
I for one cant even juggle two art sites. I haven't gone on SoFurry in years. Even though my favourite writers are exclusively there. Even though it's better in every way. FurAffinity has the content. And that's why it's popular. Despite its gaping security holes. Despite its flaws. Despite its admins abusing donations.

I'm not a social Butterfly. I'm very much introverted. Like much of the fandom.
That's why a lotnof us are here. This is where we found our voice.
This is where we found purpose. Where we found we can make a difference. We can matter.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fluke wrote:Isn't your 'amazing security/system/[insert label here] admin' just Randall? Lol.
Nope, guess again. However, please note that I'm the admin, I just refer to the sysadmin for software changes and site management issues, and that their role as a member is independent.
Adagio wrote:I for one cant even juggle two art sites. I haven't gone on SoFurry in years. Even though my favourite writers are exclusively there. Even though it's better in every way. FurAffinity has the content. And that's why it's popular. Despite its gaping security holes. Despite its flaws. Despite its admins abusing donations.

I'm not a social Butterfly. I'm very much introverted. Like much of the fandom.
That's why a lotnof us are here. This is where we found our voice.
This is where we found purpose. Where we found we can make a difference. We can matter.
Then by all means stay here, you have every right to choose to. That doesn't invalidate Raven's point of view.