pre-fur-ence vs preference

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.

Choose one

pre-fur-ence
32%
preference
52%
I don't care
16%

Total votes: 25
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

pre-fur-ence vs preference

Post by Faanvolla »

3rd option gets ignored, majority wins.
Or this gets deleted.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: pre-fur-ence vs preference

Post by jacojerb »

Not sure what we're voting for, but this is a furry website x3

I voted 1'st option. Better for the forum

For actually speaking, second option

Edit: saw the other thread... So this is an actual vote for the forum...

C'mon. I know its a lame pun, but lame puns are fun, if it's not actually a person making it... I mean, sure, someone had to put it there, but its still just on a forum... It's fun!
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's so lame it's off-putting. Stuff like this is one of the many reasons why furries have a bad reputation. Proper spelling never goes out of fashion.

Thanks for doing this btw Faan.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

jacojerb wrote:So this is an actual vote for the forum...
It's just an opinion poll.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

Yeah, if the admins decide they don't wanna change it it won't get changed.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

It's a bit of humor next to a field with quite serious information. And I can understand some people possibly drawing the conclusion that we think their preference is a joke.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

What is it with all the puns?
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Nothing wrong with a good pun. ;) Or a bad one, if a distinction can even be drawn between the two.

However, there is usually a buildup to the pun, and puns do get old quickly. Pre-fur-ence just seems out of place to me, and admittedly a little cringe-inducing. :P Not to mention it is something I would expect to see on a cheesy furry dating site. That being said, I was caught between "I don't care" and "Preference", because it is a trivial thing. But if we are going to have a poll about it, I may as well choose my explicit opinion on the matter.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Just change it to Orientation, and be done with it.

It got lame ages ago, and the name is just way too damn long.

Also hate "preference", because it feeds into that whole "being gay is a choice" malarkey.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Actually now that you mention it, I agree. Attraction to a gender is orientation. Preference is things like body type, complexion, hair/eye colour, etc.

Also when you have someone who doesn't list their gender or chooses a non-binary option, it really doesn't help them saying they're straight, because that doesn't mean anything if you're attracted to the opposite of whatever you consider yourself. By that logic a straight herm is attracted to agenders. Not to mention the male/lesbian possibility that also doesn't make sense.

It would make far more sense to rename straight to heterosexual, and merge gay and lesbian into homosexual.

Or even better, make it a text field so people can put whatever they want there. Same goes for the gender field.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I see that you're still hung up on the male lesbian thing. :lol:
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Leeward wrote:
Also when you have someone who doesn't list their gender or chooses a non-binary option, it really doesn't help them saying they're straight, because that doesn't mean anything if you're attracted to the opposite of whatever you consider yourself. By that logic a straight herm is attracted to agenders. Not to mention the male/lesbian possibility that also doesn't make sense.
Still making provisions for things that don't exist, I see...
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen a straight herm or something like that around here somewhere. You never know with furries...

And the male lesbian thing is referring to Yote, who did that just for the lulz (which I have nothing against, it's the setup that's flawed).
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote:Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen a straight herm or something like that around here somewhere. You never know with furries...
It's fairly pointless trying to make everything much up perfectly because the information is also probably a mix between in character and real life. If a straight guy is playing a female character then the character is a lesbian. But maybe he puts his sex as female to match his character but his prefurence as straight to match his real life orientation. Why would he do that? Because it depends how he feels at the time and because most people are scrutinising the fields for every inconsistency.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It shouldn't be a mix between character and real life, that doesn't make sense. If I have a lesbian OC, do I list myself as gay, straight, or lesbian? It's confusing as hell. And changing it all the time depending on how you feel that day makes it even more pointless to have it at all.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

To a certain degree that is true but here's the thing. We can provide certain tools/fields/whatevers but we can only enforce their use to the point where it is not disruptive or harmful. I can not, nor do I care to, make sure everyone is using things consistently and for the purposes that they are there for. That is the case for everyone who produces or provides something. For example, Nasheera has her location set to "On a horse!" That is obviously not how that is intended to be used nor is it how the majority uses it. Should I punish her for that? Or does it make the location field pointless? I don't think so.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You're missing my point entirely. I don't care how people use or abuse the fields either, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about logical consistency. That's exactly why I said you may as well make them text fields, like that it doesn't matter if the options are internally consistent because there are infinitely many, and you're catering to all possible options as well so you won't have anyone complaining that there's no Apache Attack Helicopter under gender.
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

I don’t understand this.

Is this one of those things where a person in real life is straight but their “fursona” or furry character is Bi?
So pre-fur-ence and preference are seen as 2 different things?

Or is this just about language and the cringe?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I honestly don't even know any more.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

We need custom fields, Adagio wants to inform people about his forbidden love.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:I honestly don't even know any more.
I think that in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth the effort.

You can instead spend all of this energy on convincing your boyfriend that the two of you need to come have dinner with us. (That's one hell of a sentence.)
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sev wrote:
Leeward wrote:I honestly don't even know any more.
I think that in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth the effort.
Yeah, I'm clearly banging my head on a brick wall here.
You can instead spend all of this energy on convincing your boyfriend that the two of you need to come have dinner with us. (That's one hell of a sentence.)
Maybe once he doesn't want to punch something whenever I so much mention your name, I'll consider bringing it up. :P
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Leeward wrote:Or even better, make it a text field so people can put whatever they want there. Same goes for the gender field.
I have always wanted to let the world know that I identify as a 15th century trebuchet siege machine hewn from oak wood whose fetish is launching hot, sexy projectiles over enemy walls. If you find this odd, I must declare you to be siegemachinephobic and must ask you to check your privilege, as trebuchets are an oppressed minority. You thought the T in LGBTQQZSAXMKWIP was for transgender? Wrong! It is for trebuchet! And your ignorance to this fact is proof of your internalized siegemachinephobia. #NeverForgetTrebuchet

:P

And so as not to invoke Poe's Law, the above was in fact a joke.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:
Sev wrote:You can instead spend all of this energy on convincing your boyfriend that the two of you need to come have dinner with us. (That's one hell of a sentence.)
Maybe once he doesn't want to punch something whenever I so much mention your name, I'll consider bringing it up. :P
I'm being vilified by someone that barely knows me...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

Galahad wrote:
Leeward wrote:Or even better, make it a text field so people can put whatever they want there. Same goes for the gender field.
I have always wanted to let the world know that I identify as a 15th century trebuchet siege machine hewn from oak wood whose fetish is launching hot, sexy projectiles over enemy walls. If you find this odd, I must declare you to be siegemachinephobic and must ask you to check your privilege, as trebuchets are an oppressed minority. You thought the T in LGBTQQZSAXMKWIP was for transgender? Wrong! It is for trebuchet! And your ignorance to this fact is proof of your internalized siegemachinephobia. #NeverForgetTrebuchet

You make my evening far too often :P Is it wrong for a Catapault to want some recognition in this world too???
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other

Post by Adagio »

RavenSong wrote:
Galahad wrote:

You make my evening far too often :P Is it wrong for a Catapault to want some recognition in this world too???
I guess I'll be crusified if I suggester it falls under "S" for Siege Weapons in general?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Of course you would want to free up the "T" so it could stand for your thing.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

I actually have a question about it....

Does this show up on members' accounts who are younger than 16/18/21, whichever we use as an age restriction on the adult section of the forum?

Just an observation I wanna find out answers on

Possibly opening a can of worms
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It displays for everyone that has it set.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~