IRC app

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
TigerTael
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Panthera tigris tigris
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

IRC app

Post by TigerTael »

As many sites have done, they have embedded an IRC client into forums and websites to further facilitate online communication.

This is my suggestion. I am not recommending a CGI client or anything, just a basic java or link to one of the online clients that are freely available. (So this will not hurt the server bandwidth at all).

I believe this has merit and serves no other purpose than to help the community.
Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.

Use no way as a way, having no limitation as a limitation.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Re: IRC app

Post by Valerion »

As anoyo said there's no real bandwidth issue here. But it would be good to have, yeah. Will have to find one that works well and is accepted by FurNet, though.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Mmmmmm ... had a chat with the IRC Ops on FurNet just now regarding this.
[20:26] ->> You joined channel #furnet
[20:26] ->> Topic is: If you are having problems connecting please try <server>.furnet.info. Please, noidling in channel. You'll be politely asked to leave, then kicked. Do NOT give your passwords to ANYONE. If no one is available leave a message on channel and we'll get back to you ASAP.
[20:26] ->> Topic set by ShadowLab on 2007/10/02 23:20:21
[20:26] --FurBot-- Welcome to #FurNet, This channel is for services help and Network questions.Please do not idle here, as it is not a "chat" channel. Never Give out your Passwords. Please be patientwith your questions, an admin or helper will be with you as soon as they can. Helpers are indicated by a %. This is not a Complaints channel, IRCops and Admins will not moderate/govern a channel.
[20:26] ->> Channel Modes are: +ntrST
[20:26] ->> Channel created on 2005/06/30 09:11:09
[20:28] <Valerion> Hey there. I was wondering what the FurNet policy is (if any) on web-basedclients? I would like to put a web-based client on for a specific channel, but I'm not sure which ones are recommended/required/not allowed.
[20:28] <Valerion> Or if there's any other requirements around them.
[20:34] <&Hurga> Please read the panther MOTD ( /motd panther.furnet.org )
[20:34] <&Hurga> Don't know if it's in the other docs, maybe it should be :)
[20:37] <Valerion> Ahhhh, yes, that is not in alicorn's MOTD
[20:37] <&Hurga> But as long as your web-based client is not publically accessible, all is fine.
[20:38] * Valerion nods, "Thanks. Will give feedback to the people asking for it :)"
[20:39] <&Hurga> Sure, no problem. And you can always ask for specifics.
The relevant MOTD referred to here states:
[20:36] - Web IRC interfaces: Please do not provide them specifically for
[20:36] - connecting to FurNet. It has been found that they tend to attract
[20:36] - annoying individuals. A password-protected (for tracking abuse
[20:36] - issues) web IRC client is avaliable - ask the admin.
I know you didn't ask about CGI-based web clients, but at least now we have an official view on that. Personally I would like to put one on, but we will have to somehow password-protect it. Or perhaps link to the official web client referred to in the MOTD.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Yeah, i think the best would be a link to the official client, maybe get a link through to the client from your PHPbb login (you can only connect if you're signed in or something)

Will have to find this official client, and then figure out how to make PHPBB only link to it and make it work if you're signed in
~~~(___^> *squeak*
TigerTael

Post by TigerTael »

Well, if you use a client-side client, where the connection goes out over that person's IP, there is no problem at all unlike a CGI client which uses the server's bandwidth to connect and chat with.

A client-side client will prevent abuse and eliminate the issue on the MOTD's.
Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.

Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

True. However, not everyone can run Java applets. I suggest we do the following:

1) Provide a list of desktop IRC clients (or link to one)

2) Provide a Java IRC client for those that can use it and don't want a desktop client

3) Provide a CGI-based client for all others, or for people on mobile phones. However, we will have to provide authentication as well, so maybe we can see if it's possible to have Apache authenticate against the phpBB user database, so we use the same username and password? This could also be useful for other areas on the site.
TigerTael

Post by TigerTael »

I agree on all your points wolf.

anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Valerion wrote:True. However, not everyone can run Java applets. I suggest we do the following:

1) Provide a list of desktop IRC clients (or link to one)
Easy enough to do, any volenteers?
i know of mIrc, XChat, Trillian does it too ... sure there's a list somewhere
Valerion wrote:2) Provide a Java IRC client for those that can use it and don't want a desktop client
This one is also fairly easy, tho we'd have to put it behind a login for registered members only, so we don't violate the terms in the MOTD
Valerion wrote:3) Provide a CGI-based client for all others, or for people on mobile phones. However, we will have to provide authentication as well, so maybe we can see if it's possible to have Apache authenticate against the phpBB user database, so we use the same username and password? This could also be useful for other areas on the site.
I'm worried a CGI client would use a lot more bandwidth on the client than a Java client would, so i'd prefer not to run this option.
We can link to J2ME clients as well for those who have cellphones and who need to get onto irc.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
TigerTael

Post by TigerTael »

This one is also fairly easy, tho we'd have to put it behind a login for registered members only, so we don't violate the terms in the MOTD
No, it would not. A Java based client does not go through the server IP at all and is the same as a desktop client as far as an IRC server is concerned. This does not violate the MOTD at all.
I'm worried a CGI client would use a lot more bandwidth on the client than a Java client would, so i'd prefer not to run this option.
We can link to J2ME clients as well for those who have cellphones and who need to get onto irc.
This was my initial concern as above. A CGI client is what most IRC networks are worried about because pranksters/malicious people can hide behind the server and for this very reason is why I suggested a java app (Or other client-side software that runs within the browser).