Problem with sending PM's

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
Titanreaper
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mythic Black Tiger Fox
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Problem with sending PM's

Post by Titanreaper »

so recently when I send PM's I get the following error. "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." I have tried restarting my browser and my router even my laptop, but when I get back into the forum to try and send it again the message keeps popping up. then I have to come back a few hours later and try again before it sends it through.
The circumstances of your birth are irrelevant, It's what you do with the gift of life that matters.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Problem with sending PM's

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

And you've filled in a name to send it to, a topic and a message?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Titanreaper

Post by Titanreaper »

yes, everything is right with the pm when I try and send it because I am usually replying to another pm I had received. sometimes if I keep submitting it will send after 10 or 15 minutes of constant submitting.
The circumstances of your birth are irrelevant, It's what you do with the gift of life that matters.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

And the problem is just intermittent? Is it every first time you try to send a PM or only occasionally?
Does it happen only with a specific person?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Titanreaper

Post by Titanreaper »

it happens occasionally not so often but it does get a little frustrating. the last time I even logged on with my phone and it gave the same error when trying to send a pm. what I will do is if it happens again I will take a screenshot and link it to you.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Okay, that'd be cool. I honestly have no idea what it could be. I'm not a computer expert though. Of course if it only happens occasionally that makes it even harder to figure out.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm getting the exact same thing. The only reason I can think of is that my mailbox is full and that it has to delete the oldest sent message, but I doubt Titan's is full already too so that's probably not it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well if he's sending a lot of PMs perhaps it is? Or perhaps the person he is sending to has a full inbox?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Then it would become on hold in the recipient's mailbox, I get that a lot.

"The submitted form was invalid" sounds like SQL-speak to me, maybe it has to do with the page itself not interacting with the database correctly for some reason?
Titanreaper

Post by Titanreaper »

my mailbox is about half full, and i'm not sure if it's the page itself. I even tried logging in on my phone and sending a pm with the same results.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

If it's independent of the device, then it's either account-related or page-related. We're either both doing the same thing wrong or we just both happened to find the same bug. Since we both have the same problem with different circumstances, I'm inclined to think it's page-related, especially considering the way the error is phrased.

[Thinking out loud] Could it maybe be a concurrency issue where two people try to send a PM at the exact same time? But then it wouldn't repeat itself over several minutes like Titan is getting, and the database should queue transactions anyway. Doubtful considering our number of members too. Perhaps to do with who we are sending the messages to? But then more may have the same problem. Maybe our choice of browser? Doesn't sound right if the error is intermittent. Hmm. [/Thinking out loud]

Titan, what browser are you using on your laptop and phone? I was using Chrome when I got the error.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I've checked the forum logs and there no mentions of any errors encountered regarding PMs or your account.

Have you included the [ flash] bbcode in your messages? Or are you forwarding messages instead of just replying or sending? Those are both not allowed according to your PM permissions and could cause issues then. I don't know if you can even see those options if they aren't enabled.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Nope. I hardly ever use bbcode in PMs and if I do it's usually just links or images. I've tried using disabled bbcode in posts but it just does nothing (i.e. leaves the tags verbatim). I only ever reply or send, since there is no forward button. If I have to forward something I just copy-paste.

Just a side comment, it's kind of pointless to disable things that can easily be worked around. Also I think it would be nice to be able to use bbcode for table formatting, since we've both had a difficult time with whitespace being automatically trimmed.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote:Nope. I hardly ever use bbcode in PMs and if I do it's usually just links or images. I've tried using disabled bbcode in posts but it just does nothing (i.e. leaves the tags verbatim). I only ever reply or send, since there is no forward button. If I have to forward something I just copy-paste.

Just a side comment, it's kind of pointless to disable things that can easily be worked around. Also I think it would be nice to be able to use bbcode for table formatting, since we've both had a difficult time with whitespace being automatically trimmed.
That was mostly directed at Titanreaper but it's the same for you too.

The only BBCode that is disabled is flash, I presume that's set as a security measure. I'm not quite sure why forwarding is disabled but I had to go back and look for it myself. It's just a tiny little bit of text that is easy to overlook. I didn't even realise it was possible.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:The only BBCode that is disabled is flash, I presume that's set as a security measure.
Nope, there is other stuff that isn't supported too. This is verbatim from the BBCode.org examples:

[table]
[tr]
[th]Name[/th]
[th]Age[/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]John[/td]
[td]65[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Gitte[/td]
[td]40[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Sussie[/td]
[td]19[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I did not disable BBCode for this post, obviously, since the link above works.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Leeward wrote:Nope, there is other stuff that isn't supported too.
Not supported is not the same as disabled. The default supported BBCode is available here: http://forum.zafur.co.za/faq.php?mode=bbcode
It is possible to add custom/extra BBCode support but that was only done for Liveleak and Youtube.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

The flash tag was disabled due to cross-site vulnerabilities in the Flash player. Mostly been fixed now, but still ... Since I haven't had any requests to re-enable it, I haven't looked at the implications of doing so. It's more useful to embed YT videos than Flash here IMO.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fine, disabled =/= not supported, but both imply not available, and there are some things (such as tables) that would be nice to have that aren't there, and don't cause vulnerabilities.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic, since this is not what is causing the PM issue.
Titanreaper

Post by Titanreaper »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I've checked the forum logs and there no mentions of any errors encountered regarding PMs or your account.

Have you included the [ flash] bbcode in your messages? Or are you forwarding messages instead of just replying or sending? Those are both not allowed according to your PM permissions and could cause issues then. I don't know if you can even see those options if they aren't enabled.
I have been sending only text and maybe one or 2 links. I have never tried adding any bbcodes or anything else to my messages. when I get a new PM i use the reply function to speed things up.
Leeward wrote: Titan, what browser are you using on your laptop and phone? I was using Chrome when I got the error.
I use Firefox Nightly and my phones browser is the default one that came with my Samsung S4

also here is a screen shot I seemed to have taken when the error occurred. I smudged the recipient, subject and body of the message for privacy sakes.
Screenshot 2015-02-12 12.24.36.png
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yeah, that's exactly what I got. Guess it's not the browser either then.
Titanreaper

Post by Titanreaper »

I'm stumped as well.