Member profile fields?

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Member profile fields?

Post by Leeward »

I have a number of suggestions concerning the current member profile layout.

Would it be doable/feasible to change the "MSNM/WLM" field to "WLM/Skype" or just "Skype", since the two have merged? Skype also has an in-browser URI protocol API so links could be provided much like the MSN ones are currently.

I know almost nobody who still uses Yahoo IM, AIM, ICQ, or Jabber. I'm not saying they should be removed, but maybe their appropriateness should be reconsidered since practically nobody here uses them anyway?

Since so many of the furs here are gamers and/or artists, perhaps it would be a nice idea to have profile fields for Steam, Origin, etc and deviantART, FurAffinity, SoFurry, InkBunny, Weasyl, etc? I know there is already a "Website" field but you can only put one URL there; maybe a generic "Links" section in which members can just dump all their profile pages' URLs would be better? It would be a lot more graceful than cramming it all into signatures.

Finally, rather than a broad "Interests" field in the middle of a bunch of one-line fields, perhaps a large "About me" field that is below everything would be more appropriate?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Member profile fields?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:I know almost nobody who still uses Yahoo IM, AIM, ICQ, or Jabber. I'm not saying they should be removed, but maybe their appropriateness should be reconsidered since practically nobody here uses them anyway?
Basically the only ones I have... :/ AIM and ICQ can communicate together BTW. Also SoFurry's IM service runs through Jabber and I think if you don't join Google Plus so does GTalk.

I'd have to see at some point whether those can be changed but I suspect they're part of the forum software and not something that can be set. But I need to check up on that so don't quote me.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I don't mean to start a debate over which IM platform is the best, I'm just observing that Skype and Hangouts (formerly Google Talk) seem to be a lot more popular recently than any of those.

If you could please let me know what you can and can't change, that would be awesome, thanks. Like that I can make more useful/relevant suggestions in future.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I can create custom fields in the profile section. Gender, sexual preference and species are already custom fields. But basically everything above website and elsewhere in profile view seems to be standard and can not be altered.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

Nope, those are hardcoded
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Aw, darn. I guess the base library itself must be a little outdated then. Oh well.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

We should change forum software. This one is very old fashioned.