Should this site be for South Africans only?

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.

Vote here...

Yes, only for local furs
No votes
No, anyone is welcome
67%
Maybe, but inivited furs only form overseas
33%
Don't care =P
No votes

Total votes: 12
Kad FoxWolf
Fuzzy and crazy
Species: Arctic fox with white wolf mix
Region: Gauteng

Should this site be for South Africans only?

Post by Kad FoxWolf »

Now i know that the point is to have all the local members in one place on one forum but i would just like to ask this on behalf of a few furs that have asked this question to me.

There are some furs around the world who happen to know the local members very well, some just random, others have been here on a visit and non the less feel like part of the local pack...

I hope my admin team doesn't mind me doing this but any feed back will help us get your view on this, since this site is for the memebers and we are here to make it worthwile, so please talk to us...

Take care, from the fox
"Stercus accidit"
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf

Re: Should this site be for South Africans only?

Post by Keita Haruka »

Hiya Kad!

Well, I certainly don't mind the question. It's a legitimate one that's been asked of (and argued with) me before. Here's some of my thoughts on the subject, purely as a member of the furry fandom, and not as Admin.

I'm sure that none of us know only South African furs. I'm pretty sure that even those who argue against allowing "outsiders" to post have friends (and even mates) in other countries whom they'd love to have here. However, that's not the reason I feel we should allow others to join and participate.

SA furs are still part of the larger furry community. We can't pretend that the rest of the world isn't there. Excluding somebody on the basis of nationality is the same as saying you're not allowing wolves or dragons or vores on the forum. It's discrimination, pure and simple. We're not xenophobes here and I for one would hate to behave like one. Not all furs feel comfortable with furs from their native territory, but may feel comfortable among us. I'm not the kind of person to send ANYONE away who wants to be a part of our community. No matter how many or few international furs we have here, it doesn't alter the fact that we're a SOUTH AFRICAN forum. It's not the presence or absence of international furs that makes it South African, but OUR presence here. As long as we're all here, it's South African. International folk just adds a bit of spice. Needed spice. Nothing can exist in isolation for very long, and I'd rather not see us isolate ourselves.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I voted maybe. I'm not totally against furs from othr parts of the world joining here. But I think there are plenty of sites for any and all furs. Also since the majority of furs are in the US or Europe the sites are all skewed in their favour and the few SA furs that there are get lost amongst the crowd. By having this site mainly for SA furs you can eliminate that bias and have topics that specifically concern those in SA, such as furmeets here and just meeting other SA furs. Foreign furs can be nice but you're not as likely to meet them as if you find a fur who lves in the same city as you.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

*shrugs* I've never been lost in the crowd, no matter what forum I joined. I'm active on several fur forums, including a regional Canadian one. Sure, I can't participate in the furmeets section for obvious reasons but you can still interact with the people, and it's the people that make the forum.

Since we have a regionals forum here, I really don't understand the objection. You can certainly not be lost in the crowd when there's an entire section of the forum already there that excludes international folk by its very existence. Besides...since most of the members are South African, and we do have that hub of South African-ness going, not very many international folk will join anyways, so why make it difficult for those who want to? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Besides...we're ALL furries, no matter where we're from. That's the universal theme that holds us all together and makes us one. I dare say we as furries have more in common with furries from other countries than we do with mundane people from our own country.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Suppose the reigonal section does kinda solve the problem. I'm still not sure it's the best idea though but I guess it can't hurt.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

I voted no

Yes the main idea is for local furs to keep in touch, and to try and make the community one, but what about other furs who know us, and want to keep in touch with the community over here, they could be considering moving here and want to get to know the locals first.

Maybe add a dropdown in the member's profile to say which region you're from, and have the option of Outside ZA, but definately not excluded from the site.

Also, the more furries interested in ZA, the more chance we can meet them if they ever came to visit, or even organizing some international events could be much easier with them helping (they could even try and help us arrange some kind of local meet, since they've had experiance running them)

Anyways, just my 2c worth.
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Baker
Species: Husky

Post by Baker »

I'll go with no on this one.

I'm sure this will stay a South African furry forum, not just by definition but by content as well. As long as it doesn't deviate from the main idea, I don't see a problem with allowing foreign furs to join.
*nods*
Kodey
Species: Caribou

Post by Kodey »

Well i think that only invited overseas furs should be allowed to join. Because the site does say ZA Furries. Maybe we should keep it as a ZA furry site, otherwise it would be just like any other furry forum? Thats my opinion.
Rudolf's got nothing on me.
Part of the 3
Muske-Queers.

OH MY GOD! - <(º:º)> [bang]---¬_(^.^ ) - Ha ha ha ha!

Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

Hey everyone! This thread was going a bit off topic, but since both discussions are very interesting, I split the topics so both can continue unhindered. You can find the discussion about emigration Here -----> http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Dracius »

Arg, I still voted a no >..>
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Steed
Huskyboi's Horsie
Species: Horse
Region: Western Cape

Post by Steed »

I voted No. The Forum should still be open to all furs far and wide. The fact that the forum has mostly South African members and a co.za domain should be enough reason to keep the furs with no South African relation away. I doubt we have fear of being swamped by foreigners.
anoyomouse
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

/right, due to the board having some international precence and a 2:1 vote (with all the admins and mods saying no) the topic is now locked

anyone that wants me to unlock it let me know, but the baords are for everyfur from everywhere, including furiends and furiends of furiends.

this would be useful to furs who plan to move and want to keep in touch :)
~~~(___^> *squeak*