Rules discussion

See room for improvement? Tell us about it! And if you encounter a problem with the board, please let us know.
NikNak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Re: Rules discussion

Post by NikNak »

mmmm mmm mmm mmm mmmmmmmmmmmm
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This is the appropriate area for random comments.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
NikNak
Species: Wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by NikNak »

Sorry...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

And here I was thinking all I did was bump the topic to see if anything had happened since last time.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

You were fine, others not.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:You were fine, others not.
It's not my fault Ms Lee reminded me of the hamster dance. Besides bumps are generally discouraged on forums. I was going to share her blame.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I only bumped this because I wanted (and still do) to find out what, if anything, has happened on this fairly important matter. Also that was supposed to be zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Valerion said he'd go through it in detail. I only had a problem with one section of your changes (although I'm not sure what was actually changed except for the wording. It all looked the same to me.).
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:I only bumped this because I wanted (and still do) to find out what, if anything, has happened on this fairly important matter. Also that was supposed to be zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
I am fully aware of that.

My only request would be introducing a mobile friendly site. It's an absolute pain in the ass to use on my S6.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

We discussed this before. Some people said mobile didn't and others said it worked perfectly. I think the only consistent comment was that the page doesn't zoom automatically.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sev wrote:My only request would be introducing a mobile friendly site. It's an absolute pain in the ass to use on my S6.
That has nothing even remotely to do with the forum rules.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Valerion said he'd go through it in detail. I only had a problem with one section of your changes (although I'm not sure what was actually changed except for the wording. It all looked the same to me.).
Well isn't this the perfect place to discuss it?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:We discussed this before. Some people said mobile didn't and others said it worked perfectly. I think the only consistent comment was that the page doesn't zoom automatically.
Depends on browser, that's why. The effort put into doing a mobile site doesn't seem like it's worth it to me. The site is very usable on my LG G4 w/FireFox browser.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Sev wrote:
Leeward wrote:I only bumped this because I wanted (and still do) to find out what, if anything, has happened on this fairly important matter. Also that was supposed to be zip-a-dee-doo-dah.
I am fully aware of that.

My only request would be introducing a mobile friendly site. It's an absolute pain in the ass to use on my S6.
Nope. I use an S6 and it's better than using Zafur on a PC.
[REDACTED]
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:That has nothing even remotely to do with the forum rules.
I'll blame that one on lack of sleep. Yes, the site "works" on mobile, but it's an absolute pain to use.

With regards to rules, I'm not too fussed. It's not like there's anarchy on the forum or something. This seems like one big nit pick.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Post by Randall »

I'll blame that one on lack of sleep. Yes, the site "works" on mobile, but it's an absolute pain to use.
That has not been my experience... more than 1/2 of the time I am posting here from my phone or other devices, NOT my desktop.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I don't want to get into an argument. I'm only half way through my 11 hour layover, and I am grumpy as funk.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I have updated the rules. Most changes are just making certain things more specific rather than actual changes in procedure.

Also I've set the signature image limits into the forum itself. Hopefully no one will be affected.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Looks good, but there are still a few typos and inconsistencies.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Such as?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Images must be static, and not animated.
Pointless.
LiveLeak videos may be embedded, using the provided tags.
No longer applicable.
No embedded video may autostart, even just to buffer itself. User interaction must be required to start it.
Redundant, enforced by tag.
To display images through a URL, use the [ image] BBCode.
Space in tag, removing it does not break the post since there is no closing tag.
During such exceptions the following are not permitted:
There should be a "to" before the colon for the subsequent list to make grammatical sense.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well that's what happens when you're tired and merging different rule sets together. You should find it a bit nicer now.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Awesome, thanks, but I had a brainfart on the one correction...
During such exceptions the following are not permitted to:
Should read:
In the case of such exceptions you are not permitted to:
Sorry, my bad. *Hides face.*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

And fixed again...
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thank you! Looks great! Hopefully that won't need to be edited again for a good few years now. XD
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

There's now a rules button on each page of the forum, as well as a notification on new user creation.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Re: Dissapointed with UCT

Post by Fluke »

Randall wrote:It is not a conspiracy theory. More accurately we can say that Orwell was pretty good at predicting the exact way the demise of the human race would occur.

I have read the article. The reality is that freedom of speech is under serious threat. Here we are in 2016 and people like myself don't have social media because it's too risky, one's innocent thoughts might just push some religious nut job into jihad, or worse, be construed as hate speech by the ruling faction. Once that freedom is gone, they will start with freedom of thought. And then the rest is pretty much going to fall into place as per the novel.
Things linked to a 'thought crime' are already punishable in places like the one we live in. Please don't further the discussion here though, it's against ZAFur ToS, I believe.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Fluke wrote:
Randall wrote:It is not a conspiracy theory. More accurately we can say that Orwell was pretty good at predicting the exact way the demise of the human race would occur.
Things linked to a 'thought crime' are already punishable in places like the one we live in. Please don't further the discussion here though, it's against ZAFur ToS, I believe.
Sorry, what? How is discussing freedom of expression against the ToS?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

I think Fluke could be referring to the rule where you should avoid attacking someone or something on the forum that cannot fight back.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That only goes for things that could in theory defend themselves (e.g. people and organisations), which is not applicable to abstract concepts.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Im referring to the rule which is it not allowed to discuss South African laws being utter BS or taboo matters.