The Furry Dictionary

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf
Region: Gauteng

The Furry Dictionary

Post by Keita Haruka »

1) Fursona – The “fursona” is how furries represent themselves within the fandom. How you choose your fursona is up to you, and some furs even have more than one. For some, their fursonas are simply role playing characters, while for others it’s a much more serious matter connected to identity and even spirituality. Some choose theirs based on how their chracteristics match up to those of whatever animal, or simply because they like a specific animal.

However you choose your fursona, you can do with it as you like. It’s supposed to be/represent you, so add to it whatever you like. Some add tattoos, specific clothes or accessories, unusual colours, hybrid species…it doesn’t even have to be an existing species. Might be mythological, or entirely imaginary, so you can have dragon and gryphon and even Pokemon furs. Some like to give theirs supernatural abilities, although this tends to be more for those who use theirs for role playing only. Some furs even like to interact as cubs.

2) Anthro – “anthro” is short for anthropomorphic and means “a non-human creature with human characteristics”. Think Bugs Bunny…

3) Feral – Besides anthros, there’s another method of furry interaction: the Feral. A feral looks like a normal animal, but depending on the fur involved, might be intelligent.

4) Murr – A sound any furry (regardless of species) may make. It indicates pleasure, contentment, happiness…

5) Babyfurs – Furs who choose cubs as their fursona.

6) Therian/Therianthropy – The term “therianthropy” was derived from Greek, and means “part man, part beast”. Such creaturs have been part of the mythologies of many cultures. The Minotaur was therianthropic creature, as are werewolves. Within the furry fandom, a therian is somebody with animal spiritual beliefs – either that they are an animal in all respects but the physical, or that they have some connection with an animal. Such beliefs are not isolated to the furry fandom. Animalism as well as some Native American religions are very closely tied to such beliefs.

7) Otherkin – furs who consider themselves to be non-human, or having some connection with mythological or non-human beings. Common otherkin themes include dragons, demons and even fairies.

(Have some terms that you think should be included here? Please feel free to post!)
Red
Down Under Fozzy
Species: Fox
Region: Freestate

Re: The Furry Dictionary

Post by Red »

A little correction in relating to the term "Anthro", Anthropo is a derivative of the Ancient Greek word 'anthropos' which was pretty much a word for "man".

But when used as a prefix, it is a word used in relationship with man, hence the word anthropo-morphic being used. The word morphic is defined as having a specific shape or form. So when combined, it is pretty much saying an object or form (say, Bugs Bunny as used in your example above) contains an element of man/human characterstics such as logical thinking (or lacking as shown in the cartoons) and associated behaviour.

Cheers, Red. :)
This signature is blank.
Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Species: Black wolf

Post by Keita Haruka »

Hiya Red! Thanks for the explanation. I've never really thought about the derivation of the word, just the context within which it is used in the furdom. :mrgreen: Still, very interesting. Thank again!
Electrocat
Die Tiger van die Baai
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: African Tiger
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Electrocat »

Maybe you can link these pics to help explain feral and anthro?
If it helps

This is my mate, Ghostrider.
Attachments
Ghostrider in his anthro form
Ghostrider in his anthro form
Justice, glory and bitches - in that order.
Electrocat
Die Tiger van die Baai

Post by Electrocat »

Ghostrider in his feral form
Attachments
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Except they are customarily drawn as standing up on hind legs in Anthro form, especially when explaining the term :)
Electrocat
Die Tiger van die Baai

Post by Electrocat »

Hmm... perhaps.

Oh well ^^ I'll draw some anthro vs feral pics later
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

If you want to complicate it feral can also refer more to their nature, such as a cruel and vicious werewolf being called feral when transformed. Also anthro characteristics to some people include merely the human intelligence and don't need their body to differ from what's normal in any way.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sticky_Fingers
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: brown bear
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sticky_Fingers »

I'm surprised the resident dragons havn't come out to play :3
Just your average internet denizen with a strange name and dreams of becoming a game developer. Catch me on FA: stickyfingers
RankHusky
Species: Husky! :D

Post by RankHusky »

They shouldn't make a furry dictionary... >>; how embarrassing would it be talking about "yiff" out in the open. Only if it stays on the internets. Then it'll be fine. xP
You could of knocked me out with a.... I know you've heard this all before... Why, why, why won't world revolve around me?...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Some furs tried to get yiff into the Oxford English dictionary but it's not widespread enough.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Luke
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Carpathian Shepherd

Post by Luke »

cool post on therians.
Some therians also believe that they were their theriotype (therians word like Fursona) in a past life, and I have also met therians who believe they were born into the wrong bodies. So they were supposed to be animals but were born as humans instead. you also get the extreme therians who hate humans and refuse to admit they are humans. I have come across a group who treated humans as lesser beings.

then again I also met a few who said the age of humans would end and were's would claim the planet (LOL rollplay much)
SOMETIMES HUMAN, ALWAYS WOLF *\|/*
Firestar
Species: foxtaur/ Chakat

Post by Firestar »

Digitigrades - Refers to furs whose leg structure is more like that of a animal, meaning the forward bent knees and that they walk on there digits (toes)

Plantigrades - Refers to furs whose leg structure is more human like meaning straight legs and and walking flat footed

Taurs - Refers to furs who have 2 pairs of legs, the normal structure is a lower half which is feral and a upper half which starts at the place where the head of the feral form would be. The upper half is more anthro shape. A well know taur is foxtaurs

*i will add pictures as soon as i figure out how*