Badge as CR - VOTE

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.

Should Badge be the new CR for the forum?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 pm

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes: 28
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Badge as CR - VOTE

Post by Sev »

And why does that need a position?
And if he's the CR for ZAFur, why would he be acting against its interest by pointing them towards Anthroculture?
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

Post by Sudan Red »

I wish... I gave even half a fuck about this.

Good to see grievances being aired but this is like being out on a double dinner date with a fighting couple. Awkward and a waste of time. The numbers will speak.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

On the contrary, dear Sudan - I think this discussion has actually reached a level of "civil"! Who woulda thunk? :P
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:And why does that need a position?
And if he's the CR for ZAFur, why would he be acting against its interest by pointing them towards Anthroculture?

He's a CR.

Zafur happens to show who the cr's are.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I do think that it's about time that a formal set of responsibilities for the CR's is written up.

It needs to be thorough and explicit, because the point of acting against the interests of the forum even if it were for the betterment of the community is a really important issue.
It seems like a huge conflict of interests. And would be the single most compelling reason to restrict the CR role entirely to the forum.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

acting against its interest by pointing them towards Anthroculture
lol, its not a competition to see who/who's site is more active (deja vu).
Afaik the two forums serve two different purposes.
Its like saying the whatsapp group shouldn't link to the telegram group cause they're "competition".
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

And are they not?

People don't have an unlimited amount of time to divide between a half a dozen different platforms.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Sev wrote:And are they not?

People don't have an unlimited amount of time to divide between a half a dozen different platforms.
Well the two fora move at such a slow pace, it is easy to check both.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm not talking only about the forums.

And the countless WhatsApp and Telegram groups are much, much more frenetic.
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

Faanvolla wrote:Afaik the two forums serve two different purposes.
Correct. The AC forum is mainly there to host conversations on AC initiatives and related creative pursuits from the local community, not necessarily to serve as a general-purpose furry community, which is what ZAFur purports to be (I believe). I'd legitimately prefer the AC forum to stay small and quiet for as long as possible, too. It's a smaller community with a sharper focus and an unusual moderation policy, and as of right now it's serving its purpose beautifully.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sudan Red wrote:Well the two fora move at such a slow pace, it is easy to check both.
Fora.
My, someone is clued up with her Latin! :P

As for the "competition" between the two sites - quite ironically, it is that competition which may serve as an incentive for the management of this board to take a keener interest in its activity and interest. Healthy competition does wonders for productivity.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Thread...losing...focus...must...stay on topic. :P
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Galahad wrote:
Sudan Red wrote:Well the two fora move at such a slow pace, it is easy to check both.
Fora.
My, someone is clued up with her Latin! :P

As for the "competition" between the two sites - quite ironically, it is that competition which may serve as an incentive for the management of this board to take a keener interest in its activity and interest. Healthy competition does wonders for productivity.
Not just a pretty face, yo!

ZAFur & AC are completely different experiences to me.

ZAFur is a kind of anchor/gateway site. Idle chitchat, but not that much structured content. Freeing in some ways as it doesn't require that much input.

AC has generated content - it feels like for now the forum does allow all kinds of topics but more geared toward increasing generated content or community wide projects. Very interaction heavy which could be inspiring or draining (too short to tell).

Competition is never a bad thing. It makes stuff better! Oooor kills off the weak...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Sudan Red wrote:Competition is never a bad thing. It makes stuff better! Oooor kills off the weak...
Shhhh.

They are not supposed to know.

:twisted:

... Back on-topic, however:
I would say that, although the poll has not yet been closed and there is the potential (however unlikely) for several dozen more voters, it has progressed enough to say that the community seems to trust Badge with the position. He has also given us a taste of his intentions and thoughts in a post here, and so should the poll conclude with him being elected, we can - quite reasonably - expect him to hold up his end of the bargain and fulfill his duties. ;)

The debate about the function of the CR, however, is a separate, ongoing issue.

Until then, however -- a cup of tea, anyone?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

All things considered, there are worse ways of spending a day sick in bed.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

Can a third "indifferent to whether not he is elected" option be added, and all those votes ignored?
That should solve the "they don't care about voting but wanted to vote anyway" problem.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That was something that I actually brought up privately.
I think that that would be the most fair way of doing things.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Very well - I would agree to that if the other voters think we shall have a second referendum, so that the matter is completely settled. ... Hopefully, all the steam and nasty remarks will have been spent in the first round, and not carried over to the second.
However, honestly? I think it is a bit unnecessary.
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I wanted to add a post to the essay

I did not vote because I don't know who badge is.

I skimmed over most of the last 7 pages and learned what a CR does.

I cannot say I understand why having a purple name is something to aspire to.

I sometimes wish I was popular enough to be told gossip and be let in on the apparent drama that is always happening.

General advice is to never offer anything. Rather let someone ask you instead.

I enjoyed Suicide Squad even if it was full of faults.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Obsidian wrote:
I enjoyed Suicide Squad even if it was full of faults.
Thats a much nicer way of describing it than my "Will Smith movie ft. That chick and some people"
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Post by Trace »

A lot has been said and I would like to offer my own perspective on the way that things have transpired.

I have only been a member of this forum for a little over a month, but in that time all of you have made me feel extremely welcome and have provided a great platform for helping me to start to be more comfortable with myself. Despite my not being South African and only just starting to figure out what my being a furry means, you have all made me feel that I can belong to this community anyway. It's made me want to get involved, and want to stick around.

This makes it really hurt when I see everyone fighting about things that may not be inconsequential, but do not seem worth ruining friendships over. I understand that a lot of drama has happened behind the scenes that I am not privy to, but I dislike that some forum users seem to have massive grudges that they are unwilling to let go of; especially when they are bringing them into a context where others like myself have no background for what's going on. I've felt very alienated by it, and it's caused me to consider whether the forum is really right for me.

However, I'm not willing to give up on it just yet. I really want to see this community grow and prosper, and the last thing I want is to see the community tear itself apart instead. There are some really great furs on this forum, and it pains me to see them at each other's throats.

This community has done some fantastic things, and I would like to see even more happen in the future. There have been some really incredible accomplishments just recently, and I'm sure that we can do much, much more.

As far as the actual topic goes, I think Badge would make a fine CR. Of course, I have to admit that Badge is also a friend of mine, who I 'met' fairly recently through a mutual friend. He is the one who convinced me to get involved with the forum in the first place, and has been encouraging me both in developing my art and also in getting involved in the fandom. That said, I wouldn't be around here without him.

However, I don't know that I can readily cast my vote in favor of him as CR, given how much this issue has divided everyone. I think that he would do a great job, but maybe the forum isn't ready to accept him in that role.

In short, I would like to call for a cease-fire. It may be that some of the rifts between the furs on this board are too deep to bridge, but I would hope that that might not be the case. Even if that is true, I would hope that we can set aside our differences in opinion so that we can build each other up and support each other, rather than trying to tear each other down. I think we are all here because we wanted a place where we could just be ourselves, without fearing judgement or people thinking that we're 'weird' because we like anthropomorphic animals.

Maybe this is all just 'youthful idealism' on my part, but I see so much potential in everyone here. I think that we could accomplish great things, especially if we are united. So I ask... Please. Let's set aside our differences. Let's put the past behind us. I would love to be able to call any of you here a friend, so please give me the opportunity to do so. You are all awesome furs, and I don't like seeing you fight.

Of course, I have no right to ask anything from any of you. I am just some nobody on the other side of the world. But given how cool everyone here is, I think it would be a massive shame for us to all give up on each other.

I apologize for my long-winded request. It may be silliness on my part to think that anything I say can change anything. But if I can convince even one of you here to reconsider a spiteful comment or a harsh word, I will consider it a success. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I got hit by perspective like a ton of bricks after mentioning this thread to my mate. His reaction was something akin to "You're way too involved in that furry nonsense." He's right. We're over-thinking this and hugely overreacting. This is not nearly as big a deal as we're making it. I've taken a step back and a chill pill, so I just want to chime in to ask everyone here: how is this going to affect your life? It's not. We should really get over ourselves, individually and as a whole.
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

When we care for something, be it hobby, fandom, ideals, (In some cases there are those that get the same level of involvement in following an actor/artist.) it becomes very easy to lose ourselves in the passion of it, in the defence of that which we care for.

And even though this often puts people in position where hackles get raised, tails stepped on and claws out. I find a small solace that there are people who care enough to get themselves into that state in the first place.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Leeward wrote:I got hit by perspective like a ton of bricks after mentioning this thread to my mate. His reaction was something akin to "You're way too involved in that furry nonsense." He's right. We're over-thinking this and hugely overreacting. This is not nearly as big a deal as we're making it. I've taken a step back and a chill pill, so I just want to chime in to ask everyone here: how is this going to affect your life? It's not. We should really get over ourselves, individually and as a whole.
Yay. Also tell him I say hi.

But srsly guys srsly. It's a frekin fandom.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Faanvolla wrote:Can a third "indifferent to whether not he is elected" option be added, and all those votes ignored?
That should solve the "they don't care about voting but wanted to vote anyway" problem.
So are we still going to do this, or not?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Sev wrote:
Faanvolla wrote:Can a third "indifferent to whether not he is elected" option be added, and all those votes ignored?
So are we still going to do this, or not?
Seriously?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

If it must be done, why not just create a separate poll with two options: "Indifferent, previously voted yes" and "Indifferent, previously voted no".
We then subtract the former from this poll's "yes", subtract the latter from this poll's "no", and add the two options together and call it "indifferent". Voilá!

(The disadvantage is that it relies completely on the honesty of the voters. But, meh... This is not a gigantic, governmental election!)

Otherwise? Just leave it as it is! It is honestly not as if this is a tiebreaker - "yes" is in a very comfortable lead.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Galahad wrote:If it must be done, why not just create a separate poll with two options: "Indifferent, previously voted yes" and "Indifferent, previously voted no".
We then subtract the former from this poll's "yes", subtract the latter from this poll's "no", and add the two options together and call it "indifferent". Voilá!
No!

Everyone please.

Galahad

Post by Galahad »

That was merely a suggestion in the event people actually don't let it go. :P

But, honestly, I think just using these results is fine. People are becoming a bit nitpicky.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

It's not like any of this matters. The whole thing has become a farce.

ZAFur has been on a gradual decline for a long time, and has an almost negligible impact on the local community these days. Most meets aren't even organized on here anymore.