The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Post Reply
User avatar
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng
Location: ::1
Contact:

The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#1

Post by Valerion »

Hi all,

I have decided this weekend to do an upgrade on the forum, as we do need to keep up with our security and such. However, the mistake I made was trusting the upgrade procedure on the host we use. This was an unmitigated disaster and lead to the complete destruction of the board (as you probably noticed). The real cause took me many hours to track down, but I finally did. A should send a glitterbomb to Hostpoint for this.

But it is now back online, and running the latest phpBB. I will see how hard it would be to recover our theme again. But welcome back, all.

And my apologies for the downtime.
User avatar
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 am
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng
Location: Pretoria

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#2

Post by Adagio »

Valerion wrote:I will see how hard it would be to recover our theme again. But welcome back, all.

And my apologies for the downtime.
Please do! This one is ghastly!

No issues!
Thanks for working around the clock to get ol' faithfull back to us!
User avatar
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Posts: 1640
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:57 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#3

Post by Tocs »

No rush :) do what you need to do
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
User avatar
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Posts: 7039
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm
Gender: Does it matter?
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other
Location: Londonium ONce more...
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#4

Post by Raven Song »

GLITTERBOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#5

Post by Leeward »

As long as the database is intact, and it seems like it is, it's all good. :)
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Posts: 2294
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 am
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#6

Post by Cape_F0X »

Image
User avatar
Linea
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:25 am
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: animal
Region: Western Cape

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#7

Post by Linea »

Hey thanks for working so hard to get it back up and running! :D
There was a sudden sunburst in my head.
And then black night. That blackness was sublime.
I felt distributed through space and time
User avatar
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Posts: 3334
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:43 am
Gender: Transgender - Female
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#8

Post by rusted hydra »

I was worried that zafur was hacked and deleted Q....Q
glad to hear it is okay
User avatar
IT-Werewolf
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:34 pm
Gender: Male
Species: werewolf. Anti-furry furry.
Region: Gauteng
Location: Johannesburg
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#9

Post by IT-Werewolf »

I rather like this theme.

http://donotspeaktomeorelse.deviantart.com
http://www.facebook.com/it.werewolf
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/it-werewolf/

My name is Lance and I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
I suffer from mild Asperger's Syndrome.
User avatar
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Posts: 6596
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape
Location: A Twisty Road

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#10

Post by Sev »

At least this one is a lot more mobile friendly.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant
Posts: 7036
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#11

Post by Leeward »

^ That might just be the code update.
User avatar
Galahad
Posts: 1973
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm
Gender: Male
Region: Gauteng
Location: Pretoria

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#12

Post by Galahad »

Darn it! My attempt to sabotage the forum has been foile--

Er! I mean, uh... Rotten luck... Um... I am glad everything is back in order. Yes. Definitely.
User avatar
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Posts: 6596
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape
Location: A Twisty Road

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#13

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:^ That might just be the code update.
I know that, but my point still stands.
User avatar
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Posts: 2760
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:25 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#14

Post by Ryall »

Where were you when the forum died?

#ZAFur2016 #Neverforget2016
Hahaha! :lol:
User avatar
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Posts: 6596
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape
Location: A Twisty Road

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#15

Post by Sev »

Bloody hell, Ryall, and you say that I post nonsense on the forum...
User avatar
Galahad
Posts: 1973
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm
Gender: Male
Region: Gauteng
Location: Pretoria

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#16

Post by Galahad »

I swear, if you two begin the whole 'hyena versus snow leopard' debate again... :P
I can almost already hear Valerion's deep, rumbling exhortation: "Stay on-topic, please."
User avatar
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Posts: 7039
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:56 pm
Gender: Does it matter?
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other
Location: Londonium ONce more...
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#17

Post by Raven Song »

Dude it is legit easier to post pictures... just saying...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
User avatar
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng
Location: ::1
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#18

Post by Valerion »

The ZAFur Map is another casualty. Seems the API changed in 3.1, so that may need to be redone as well.
StargazingSerpent wrote:I can almost already hear Valerion's deep, rumbling exhortation: "Stay on-topic, please."
You made me think of this.
User avatar
Hargan
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:51 pm
Gender: Male
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#19

Post by Hargan »

Hey Val, thanks for spending your weekened fixing up the forum.

I have noticed, although not as urgent a fix as others, but two issues: Hardware (under tech section) and Movies and Tv shows (under arts and entertainment) show no posts on the external link (wherein it would show the latest post), but are indeed filled still with posts and topics.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Randall
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 am
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#20

Post by Randall »

That is because those SQL DB tables were likely dropped because of the incorrect method of upgrading a phpBB forum.
Honestly, if I were you admin, I'd get the hosting company to restore the site from a backup to Friday evening, you won't lose much aside from this thread and a few other posts.

Additionally I'd recommend you upgrade to VBulletin instead. phpBB has always got security issues and problems due to being a labour of love ie a free product.
User avatar
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng
Location: ::1
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#21

Post by Valerion »

Hargan wrote:Hey Val, thanks for spending your weekened fixing up the forum.

I have noticed, although not as urgent a fix as others, but two issues: Hardware (under tech section) and Movies and Tv shows (under arts and entertainment) show no posts on the external link (wherein it would show the latest post), but are indeed filled still with posts and topics.
Fixed
Randall wrote:That is because those SQL DB tables were likely dropped because of the incorrect method of upgrading a phpBB forum.
Honestly, if I were you admin, I'd get the hosting company to restore the site from a backup to Friday evening, you won't lose much aside from this thread and a few other posts.

Additionally I'd recommend you upgrade to VBulletin instead. phpBB has always got security issues and problems due to being a labour of love ie a free product.
We might move to VBulletin one day, if the forum has a steady income stream. Right now that won't happen though.
And I like how you classify free products as fundementally broken and insecure simply because they are free. I do not agree with that assesssment. pbpBB may have issues, but that's not simply because it's free.

Also, no DB restore needed. A simple topic bump sorted out the display issue.
User avatar
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Posts: 6739
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other
Location: Pretoria
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#22

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I don't see any reason to move. I think we should support free and/or open source software and if moving means losing posts and the forum history then I am against it.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
User avatar
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Posts: 6596
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:27 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape
Location: A Twisty Road

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#23

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I don't see any reason to move. I think we should support free and/or open source software and if moving means losing posts and the forum history then I am against it.
I am of exactly the same sentiment.
Randall
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:15 am
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#24

Post by Randall »

And I like how you classify free products as fundementally broken and insecure simply because they are free. I do not agree with that assesssment. pbpBB may have issues, but that's not simply because it's free.
I like how you make an assumption out of thin air.
I don't have a problem with software being free. My issue is that phpBB has been hacked, time and time again. It is not very secure, never has been.
Have you ever had the honour of cleaning up a phpBB forum post hack? Probably not.
User avatar
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Posts: 2803
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:50 pm
Gender: Male
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng
Location: ::1
Contact:

Re: The Great Forum Outage of April 2016

#25

Post by Valerion »

Randall wrote:
And I like how you classify free products as fundementally broken and insecure simply because they are free. I do not agree with that assesssment. pbpBB may have issues, but that's not simply because it's free.
I like how you make an assumption out of thin air.
I don't have a problem with software being free. My issue is that phpBB has been hacked, time and time again. It is not very secure, never has been.
Have you ever had the honour of cleaning up a phpBB forum post hack? Probably not.
Your exact quote:

phpBB has always got security issues and problems due to being a labour of love ie a free product.

Let's reword some stuff:

Product X has always got security issues and problems due to being a labour of love ie a free product.

This is what I read. Sorry if it's not what you meant.
Post Reply