Emergency Contact List

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Emergency Contact List

Post by Leeward »

We all know the risks of sharing personal details on the Internet, but in some situations, this can make one powerless to help when urgently needed. More specifically, it makes calling emergency services simply impossible. This is understandably traumatic for all involved in a life-or-death situation.

Since the South African furry community is very close-knit, inclusive and supportive, we have decided to take it a step further by implementing a structure that will allow us to intervene should we have good reason to believe that someone is in danger.

This is an online input form accessible to all, on the forum and not, to enter their (real) personal details and an ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact, to be used only if and when absolutely necessary. All responses are confidential, and are viewable only to a select few members of the community who have volunteered to be reachable should you suspect somebody to be in danger. In such a case, they will then get personally involved and take any necessary actions, such as contacting emergency services, without revealing your details unless there is literally no other choice.

I would like to encourage each and every person reading this to sign up, even if you don't think you will ever need it. You never know what could happen.

The input form is available here.

Should you believe that somebody is in need of immediate assistance, please contact any of the following by any means possible (PM, e-mail, phone, WhatsApp, etc.). Their contact information is available in The Furry Pages:
Adagio, Faanvolla, Ivic-Wulfe, Leeward, Tocs.

Update: just to clarify, this is not a contact list, it's an emergency contact list. There's no point adding yourself without entering an emergency contact. The whole point is that we can reach someone who can help you, and not have to make them guess who you are based on your online handle.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added clarification
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Re: Emergency Contact List

Post by Raven Song »

Done... even if I am in another country :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I already have your and Toc's numbers. How do I know that someone won't use this to add me to a spam list, since this will be public information?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It is not public information. The OP specifically says that. The only people who have access to the data are those listed in the OP, and I trust them to not be spambots. The idea is to give the details of someone near you so that they can do something, if for example we can't contact emergency services in your area.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Oh, sorry. The form is open to all, but not the information on it. Yes, I now see the distinction.

Still, you, Tocs, and Ivic have access to my real details, so this shouldn't be necessary for me.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

So... what happens if you go missing and we can't get through to you? See the point now? If you were to put up for example your father, then we could call him and he can take it from there.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

My parents (and my mother is particular) are already not particularly fond of furries or this forum. She has told me on multiple occasions that she wishes that she could throw my tail away.

I don't think that they would receive a call from some random stranger (you're a different story, if course), especially if they let slip that they know me because of the forum.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yeah, because parents would totally prefer being completely unaware that their child needs their help over being contacted by random strangers. If we're the only ones who know you're in trouble, would they really mind that they were alerted to your predicament by someone who happens to be a furry? Anyone who cares about you won't give a damn who told them. It doesn't have to be your parents anyway, only someone you trust to be ready to drop everything to help you.
Last edited by Leeward on Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

And how would you know that I'm in trouble? Only if I choose to broadcast the fact?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Not necessarily. For example, in your case, if you don't post anything for 24h I'd start getting worried. :P
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This is an announcement for this idea and a link to join in. As with a number of other announcements I am going to lock this thread itself. If there are questions, they can be directed to Leeward and, if necessary, clarifications will be made to the original post.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~