Permanent deprecation of Flash

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.

Do you want the LiveLeak tag to return?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Yes
No votes
No
29%
Don't Care
71%

Total votes: 7
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Permanent deprecation of Flash

Post by Valerion »

Due to all the recent security issues with Adobe Shockwave Flash, I have decided to permanently disable it. Henceforth we will only support HTML5. I have changed the BBCode for YouTube embedding to support HTML5. I am still working on LiveLeak, and may or may not re-enable that, depending how easy it is.

Please check here to see what codecs your browser support. There are tutorials on how to get all of these working properly. https://www.youtube.com/html5

I have also added a poll here, regarding LiveLeak, to see if people actually want it back and use it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Permanent deprecation of Flash

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I heard a bit about that stuff since it was giving me issues on my laptop this week. Then again, my laptop runs Ubuntu and they stopped getting Flash updates ages ago. My desktop should be far more capable and it'll be nice when we don't have to rely on plugins for all sorts of things.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

Using Flash is like leaving your home doors open and sending invites to criminals

Also, it's been officially deprecated on Linux, and not supported on mobile devices. So there's 3 reasons for permanently ditching it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Yeah, but there still so many old animations and stuff that use Flash.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have never even watched a video on LiveLeak...
KinkInZA
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

interesting also first I hear of Live-leak
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Leeward wrote:I have never even watched a video on LiveLeak...
KinkInZA wrote:interesting also first I hear of Live-leak
Seriously? You guys need to come out from under that rock. You don't know what you're missing
[REDACTED]