Halloween

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Halloween

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Thanks Accretion. Just a reminder to everyone else, please remember to change your names back as they were. There will be a few days to do that in case people aren't on or whatever.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I just used it as an opportunity to change my name permanently, because any other "Sev" in the local fandom is an impostor!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Sev wrote:I just used it as an opportunity to change my name permanently, because any other "Sev" in the local fandom is an impostor!
The entire reason we don't have this enabled all year is we don't want people just changing their names. Name changes are supposed to requested to keep better track of who is who.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Meh, everyone knows me as Sev by now. Also, Ravensong used last Halloween as an opportunity to do the same. Besides, I would have had to butcher anyone joining this forum using my name. At least now that can no longer happen.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Still calling you M7 :D

Also. Jumping on a bandwagon isn't exactly going to encourage the mods to let this happy halloween happen every year.
[REDACTED]
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I really don't see how this is any different from asking a mod to do it. It's not like I'm going to change my name on a weekly basis, or something.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's not exactly a bandwagon when one person did it last year.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Once again, thank you Leeward!
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Leeward wrote:It's not exactly a bandwagon when one person did it last year.
Sev wrote:Once again, thank you Leeward!
Hey, your guys argument isn't against me here. I'm just reiterating what Rakuen said.
The mods don't want us changing names.
If you wanted to change names, I guess it would be respectful to at least ask first.
[REDACTED]
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Under normal circumstances, yes, but since it would did not cause any confusion in this case, I did not see the need.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's not so much a need as a polite gesture. It's about respecting the fact that it is not normally allowed.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Changing my name once to something already familiar is not going to be apocalyptic.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

No it is not, but it's a matter of principle. Rather err on the side of too much respect than presumption.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

By wasting an admin's time?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It takes less than a minute to read a short message. It's just courteous to let them know at least.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Fine, I'll keep that in mind in the future - I just wanted to avoid having someone else take the name. I am Sev, they aren't.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

The reason is that we keep track of names. That's why it's not allowed normally. Respect in life is earned, not given freely. Over time as you post, other members form an opinion of you, and you carry that with you. This includes any notes we admins keep about you (we do try to minimize drama, after all, and some people simply gets drawn to it like a moth to a candle), and is also why we don't allow multiple accounts for the same person. You can then literally start with a clean slate.

If you request a name change, we make a note of it for future reference. If you do it on your own, it takes us longer to notice, but we still do it. So in essence you are creating more work for us, not less.

In any event, if you have asked I would have changed it anyway, so no big deal.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Okay, I will keep that in mind in future.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I've locked the ability to change usernames again. It's a bit late this time but I've been distracted with moving from country to country (I'm in Germany now BTW). I'm sad to say this year did not go as well as last year but there were no serious offences.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Why, what happened this year?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well, you took advantage of the name changing for reasons other than Halloween. And someone else seems to have done the same, although they didn't tell anyone. I do check the logs after allowing something like this to make sure everyone changed back.

I have now added a section in the rules about user names. Hopefully that should prevent any unintended problems in the future.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Any chance we can know who that was? I glanced through the few most active users and didn't see anything strange. Besides it would be kind of obvious if they post, unless you changed it back, in which case forget I asked.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'm not going to say but it wasn't a particularly active user and I did change it back.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~