ZAFur website

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

ZAFur website

Post by Valerion »

It's been an old idea of Anoyomouse and myself to create a proper functioning website, where the forum would only be a part of a whole community site. Now that we have acquired the awesome coding skills of a certain golden dragon, and with the assistance of the community, I think it's time to move this forward.

In order to create something that the community can use and be proud of, I have created a Trello board to discuss this and get ideas from the community at large. You can add your feedback here:

http://is.gd/zafur

You will have to sign up for an account first, though. Instructions are on the top of the page.
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Re: ZAFur website

Post by Gothic Collie »

Why move the discussion off forum, just make a thread here and everyone can discuss it here without needing to register for a use once site.
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

a good point

I already have too many accounts floating about so can we please discuss it here?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Okay, this is probably going to get shot down as stupid, but the forum covers everything pretty well, what purpose would the front site serve?

I'm not saying it's not a good idea. I love the idea of anything that would broaden the community or even earn money for the top brass via minimal advertising. I'm just wondering what sort of direction your going in. Artist site like FA?
[REDACTED]
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Auric wrote: - Art and galleries
this is definitely something we need. or just something simple that displays all the images the person has posted across the forum.
Auric wrote: - Organizing events
would having something like a calender showing all the dates and which have events be a good idea? where we can pin stuff?
Auric wrote: - Proper, engaging social networking (discussion threads aren't enough)
what like a chat room?
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Gothic Collie wrote:Why move the discussion off forum, just make a thread here and everyone can discuss it here without needing to register for a use once site.
The forum is nice for discussions and brainstorming, but it gets tedious to walk through threads to gather the good ideas - especially for people who are not here often. This is simply to make the management of things easier, and also so you can see what has and has not been done yet, and what are and are not planned as feasible or a good idea.

Doing project management through the forums is terribly hard to get right.
Helios_phi wrote:Okay, this is probably going to get shot down as stupid, but the forum covers everything pretty well, what purpose would the front site serve?

I'm not saying it's not a good idea. I love the idea of anything that would broaden the community or even earn money for the top brass via minimal advertising. I'm just wondering what sort of direction your going in. Artist site like FA?
Really anything you can think of ... this is intended to be a site for the furs in SA, so ideas from your end will end up influencing the final design quite a bit. Right now I don't have anything concrete in mind, which is why we are soliciting ideas from here. The forums are a good place for discussions, but there are more things that people want to share with others as well.
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Valerion wrote:
Gothic Collie wrote:Why move the discussion off forum, just make a thread here and everyone can discuss it here without needing to register for a use once site.
The forum is nice for discussions and brainstorming, but it gets tedious to walk through threads to gather the good ideas - especially for people who are not here often. This is simply to make the management of things easier, and also so you can see what has and has not been done yet, and what are and are not planned as feasible or a good idea.
But Velerion, that doesn't make much sense, most people will not leave the forum to register on another website simply to submit ideas and brainstorm.

A better solution would simply be to create a thread "Brainstorming ideas for the front page" and mark it as an "Announcement" so its visible everywhere, I doubt that it will become a 10+ page discussion needing management, if you think it will get overly long let me know, and I will start the thread and edit the first page with bulletin points and links.
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Why create a unnecessary step that's completely avoidable and then blame it on some one els as not having initiative to do something instead of just doing something correctly in the first place?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Perhaps we should have a discussion thread here and then, once we have ideas, take those to Trello where it will be easier to monitor and address each idea separately? That way everyone could be involved in the discussion and only those that want to play a bigger role in finalising the details need to make an account.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Sounds like a good compromise :)
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Man Auric, you sure do like putting words into other peoples mouths, I mean really you got all of that out of my single sentence reply?

It makes me wonder what you will do when I start writing paragraphs .... oh wait, complain that I write too much.

I know what you want to do, but so far you fail at addressing a single trivial point that was raised, as in why not keep early discussion on one forum,what about the more complex issues that will be raised later on, luckily Rakuen came up with a perfectly functional solution to this first little hurdle, and you just side stepped his post, to start kicking sand up into the air.

You ask us for our opinion, we give it to you, is there anything els you want from us, or should I say more specifically me?

I am not here to stroke your ego, I made a recommendation that you were a good enough coder to take over the site, and damn I still believe you are, but you need to back off and work on your people skills.
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

I am going to break this down and make it easier for you, maybe it will read a bit easier and youll understand where I come from.
No amount of people skills in the world will change the fact that you've got a forum to share your ideas (like you asked for), and instead of taking advantage of that to share some of those ideas, you complain that you don't want to sign up for something.
You do know Auric that that is what forums are for, to share and discuss ideas, what you were asking was to do that elswere, I simply pointed out that that would be underutilized what you've already got and limit the scope of new ideas.

Like you asked for?

Ive have read all of the replies and not a single one excluding "Rakuen" suggestion, mentions that it is okay to talk about the problems in this thread Not one.
Does it not occur to you, at all, the profound irony in saying "we should rather post ideas on this forum", on this forum? Like, if you had instead said "I don't like trello but here are my ideas:" and then actually contributed something useful, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Can you please stop quoting things I never said. Not only is it unprofessional but your wrong.

I am contributing by telling you I am of the (shared) opinion that your approach is wrong, and offering a functional solution.
But instead, you're up to 5 posts talking about how our very first decision (to host the ideas list on trello) is a bad one. Even after Valerion pointed out the thinking behind it, even after Helios and Sakul posed questions and had them answered, you still persist on this one, insignificant issue.
Yes, and originally it was just 1, till Valerion talked to me (note: not you) on hes reasoning behind that, I simply pointed out a flaw behind his original thinking, and had a discussion with him (note: not you), on a alternative.

Why drag other people in to this in the first place, when your the only one not okay with what I am saying.

Hell your first post in this thread wasn't even constructive in any way :roll: , and you insist on arguing as things arent going "your way" :roll:
Instead of creating the thread you suggested, you came back here to bicker some more. Yes, I'm kicking up sand in the air about this, because if this project is going to go anywhere, then we need everybody on board, instead of people actively trying to undermine it from the start. If you don't like Trello, fine, don't use it - but then also don't go out of your way to start drama about it.
Auric, your not making any sense here, and once again just assuming a bunch of rubbish.
  • I havent created a thread as its never been okayed by a administrators (thats you Valerion, Anonymouse BTW)
    I am not undermining your project
    This isnt a drama war, but reading your replies and forceful impressions it seems you want it to be?
By the sound of it it sound more like: I want everyone to do exactly what I say without question, I dont care about your views and will simply blow them off as people not wanting to help me.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Please stop the arguing here. Let's see if we can come up with something positive at least. Or, if you feel that we need to make no changes at all, then feel free to say so.

I will open a new thread for ideas, and lock this one.

Discussion thread: http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2352