Antispam

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse
Region: Gauteng

Antispam

Post by anoyomouse »

Hey everyone

Due to the millions of recent bot registrations i've implemented an anti-spam control, you just have to say hi, and say if you're human, and you can say hi, hello, hey, and you can say yes, yup to say yes

so yeah, should be good, please emial me at anoyomouse AT zafur.co.za if you get stuck

Also, let me know if this is causing grief or anything

Thanks
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Antispam

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

If this is for every single post then yes, it's going to get annoying very quickly. Can't you manually turn it off for some people, such as full-access users? Those have to have already asked you to have their account upgraded so won't be bots.

Since it asked me on my last post but not this one I'm guessing it is a once-off?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

>use captcha codes + questions for registration
>no bots get through
>???
>profit

Or can't we do that :I
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Fluke wrote:>use captcha codes + questions for registration
>no bots get through
>???
>profit

Or can't we do that :I
Captcha's are getting to be a problem. Some get so convoluted that humans have trouble reading them (I struggle on some sites). On the other paw, captcha's are causing leaps and bounds in the free research on OCR technology. And they are getting remarkably good at it too.

Currently we get around an average of 5 (though can get higher) users registering per day, from all over the world. Usually with a medical profession in the "Species" field.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

I'd much rather enter a captcha once, than answer stupid questions many times over.
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

The anti-spam keeps a cookie hanging around that makes it go away, so basically once your cookies go away, or your machine decides to change stuff, then sure, it'll bug you again, but for now i think it's a better plan then we have

unless you can figure out a better way of doing it ... i'm all for that

just let me know if it gets in the way of your "normal" usage
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I think this methode is a briliant idea

ok yes some people freakwently delete and/or block their cookies on their home browser but that is just something they are going to have to deal with. Captcha codes don't always work. some bots get past them

I have no problem with this system, I like it
Time to change
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

I got a brilliant idea!
How about we make one that makes you play a little minigame and lets you pass after you have won. XD
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Splicer-Fox wrote:I got a brilliant idea!
How about we make one that makes you play a little minigame and lets you pass after you have won. XD
That will go down well with us that have a lack of coordination :P

Being a CS nerd, I would love to come up with a proper Turing Test and have posters pass that. Then again, I know some people in RL that I wouldn't bet on that they will pass such a test.
Seth-Rah
Species: Maned Wolf
Region: Western Cape

Post by Seth-Rah »

there might be a small flaw...
or it could just be me being stupid :P

I answered No to if I was Human and it let me in
on a different Pc it asked me to say hello
I sayd "Yiff"
It let me in...
is this a flaw or is it right?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

anoyomouse wrote:The anti-spam keeps a cookie hanging around that makes it go away, so basically once your cookies go away, or your machine decides to change stuff, then sure, it'll bug you again, but for now i think it's a better plan then we have
I haven't done anything to my cookies but it still keeps asking me. Also it asks me the same question, twice.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
anoyomouse

Post by anoyomouse »

Well, it prompts me from time to time, but then goes away

Anyways, i know it wasn't an ideal solution ... but for now it's working

if anyone knows a better(tm) solution then let me know and we can use that instead, but for now we have this

Also, if there's anyone who wants to get my trust to modify the actual site and help maintain and upgrade the forums i'm looking for that too, i don't have much time to do that anymore >.>
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I'm wondering whether this system might be preventing real users from posting. A question like "Are you a human?" can get some very strange answers when you pose it to certain furs.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Little wolfie
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolf/Husky

Post by Little wolfie »

i carnt send any messages 2 people
<3
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

If, like me, you often get the error, "No recipient defined" when you try send a pm and have to fill out the antispam, all you need to do to fix it is click back until you are at the pm compose screen. All your text and the recipient will be there and it will send fine the second time you click send.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
GreenReaper
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Kai Norn (Creatures)

Post by GreenReaper »

I would like to register my concern at being forced to say "yes" to "are you a human" on a furry site. :-)

Perhaps we can come up with a more appropriate question? "What do foxes say?" "What is the biggest furry convention?" There must be something else everyone can answer.
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - WikiFur - Flayrah - Inkbunny
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

GreenReaper wrote:I would like to register my concern at being forced to say "yes" to "are you a human" on a furry site. :-)

Perhaps we can come up with a more appropriate question? "What do foxes say?" "What is the biggest furry convention?" There must be something else everyone can answer.
I knew there was going to be one of you who opposed to that. Sheesh you're human, not an imaginary fur. Get back to reality.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Fluke wrote:I knew there was going to be one of you who opposed to that. Sheesh you're human, not an imaginary fur. Get back to reality.
But this IS reality.

Isn't it?