Time for a change

This will contain important announcements about ZAFur as well as the site rules. Check in here from time to time to keep up to speed.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Time for a change

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I have been involved with the ZAFur forum right from the start and even before that. (I remember you, FurrySA!) It will probably seem strange to many of the newer furs but, back then, there basically wasn't a furry fandom in South Africa; at most, we thought there were one or two dozen furs. The forum provided almost the only space for South African furs to get together and it's been great watching it grow from just a handful of furs to hundreds of registered members, and the wider South African furry community has spread to many places. So many furs have found the fandom through the forum, made friends, fallen in love and, sadly, some now exist only in our memories.

Sometimes I've thought of the forum a bit like my baby; albeit a baby with probably three fathers. It was a combination of my idea to make a directory to bring all the South African furs together, Keita's preference for a forum and Anoyomouse's blog. That was all nearly thirteen years ago. If the forum were a baby, it might be in high school by now! Similarly to raising a baby, running a website is wonderful, stressful and tiring. I love the forum and have put a huge amount of time and effort into it but, as of late, I have not had the same passion and energy as I used to have. So, from the end of the month, I will be stepping down from the ZAFur administration team.

One wouldn't normally hand pre-teen over to new parents because you've lost your drive for parenting but the forum isn't a child, so at this point the metaphor breaks down and we can abandon it. Ivic has indicated that he wants to keep running the forum, so I will be handing it fully over to him. He will, of course, be assisted by Adagio and Trace and whoever else he decides to bring on board. It might be tough to see different choices being made but I trust Ivic and no one can question all he has done for the South African furry fandom. Perhaps different choices are needed, and I am sure he will have the forum's best interests at heart while finding a path which maintains the historical value of the ZAFur forum and helps to reenergise it. I wish him the best of luck.

Lastly, I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone. I am extremely grateful to all the current and former staff with whom I've had the pleasure to work but the forum is a community effort; built by the posts of hundreds of furs. I thank each and every one of you. This is not one of those dramatic posts about how I am leaving the fandom, it's just a reevaluation of my priorities. It's been an amazing journey so far, one which I hope will continue for many more years but, perhaps, with a little less stress.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Re: Time for a change

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Hey Rakattack, thank you for everything you've done for the forum, the fandom and pretty much just everything. I remember joining back in the day for the first time, feeling completely overwhelmed, sticking around for a while kinda like some furs still do and posting semi-regularly. Fading in and out of existence depending on activity. Offering help eventually as the forum grew. The consistency of "Rakuen" was always there. Much like in a marriage. Through sickness and in health.

Rakuen, I hope that I can do right by the forum's legacy and while both of us know I can't necessarily please everyone, I hope to ensure that it doesn't fly TOO far away from what you envision and I also hope to show something that we can all be proud of by the end of it, showing the progress and endurance of ZAfur.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter
Region: Other

Post by Trace »

Thank you for all that you have done for this forum and the local fandom, Rakuen.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

I mean. It's not like we're not gonna still talk and such...
We should grab a coffee or a tea or something some time man.

You been here a long time dude. And you've taken more flack than any of the other admins/mods.
I tip my hat to you.
It's sad to see you go... But we bid thee farewell. And see you around!
<3
Love ya man!