AR games

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

AR games

Post by jacojerb »

I've recently (like, today) gotten a huge interest in AR games (Augmented reality). Dono why, but it is awesome. Started with Ingress, basically a game where you need to go to places to capture them. I'm surprised to see how many places are marked in south-africa, and claimed. The game has 2 teams competing over the places. They say it's usually landmarks, and, while you'd think there's a few, there's actually a lot. Statues, churches... At plant land, every second pot can be claimed xD It is great fun. You can link up the places you've claimed. Looking on the map, there's even some international links

Next up, Paintball, and SpecTrek. 2 games I have yet to try. Says it's, well, a paintball game. You run around and shoot other players (Considering you're on the same wifi...). Comments say it's glitchy, but I still need to try it for myself. SpecTrek is a ghost hunting game, where you need to find the ghost on your map (RL map), then change to a different mode which places the ghost in the world, with your camera. Have yet to try that too. Will probably do it at school tomorrow

Lastly, TableZombies. Basic pop-up AR thing, but instead of just a random model doing a little dance, it's a city with several soldiers fighting zombies. You have a top down view, and get to bombard the zombies. Played it a little inbetween writing this post xD It's fun, but they recomend printing out an A3 of the thing the game uses as reference, and I understand why. Played it a bit using the thing on my screen instead of printing it out, and my screen is incredibly small... Zombies were hard to see. If I held my phone close enough, I could see them and shoot them. If I hold my phone too close, it just derps out and loses it... I'll do a print out some time. If I could, I'd probably buy the not free version of this. But moneys... Plus no credit card...

Anyway, Google is useless in helping me find more AR games, apart from these four. Thought you guys might know. And I also wanted to share the first one, Ingress. I really love this one. Gonna get me fit xD There's a few places near me that's unclaimed that I'm going to walk to to claim, when I'm free again (Possibly tomorrow xD), and some places the other team owns that I want, and am gonna go break. Virtually, that is. It is great fun, IMO

I love the future. We are living in it ^^

edit: Forgot about one I played more than a year ago. Very basic. If you're walking anywhere, it just shows you a google maps view with several zombies around, which you should dodge. Obviously, they couldn't map out every obstacle ever, so lets just assume the zombies break through walls at the same speed they walk. But yeah, used this on my old phone. Brightness was bad, so I had to stand in the shade to look at the location of the zombies... Meh, either way, good idea, but can't be executed right, without a ton of effort. You can't really walk a longer route wherever you're going, just to avoid some fake zombies. Plus constant use of GPS and data for map and screen makes it battery intensive
Mew?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Re: AR games

Post by Helios_phi »

Holy shit! Ingress is a boss game!
Thanks for that jj
[REDACTED]
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I once tried an augmented reality app. My phone just froze. :/
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Gaz
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Rubber Gazelle
Region: Western Cape

Post by Gaz »

All I'm saying is give me the Dead Space waypoint system integrated in my phone where I can ping it an it uses AR to setup way points. Partly because it's cool and partly because I have no sense of direction.

Mainly because it's cool though.