Need help making a game

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Need help making a game

Post by jacojerb »

Hi guys. I got a great idea for a mobile game. Been asking several people to help me make it. My sis said she can only do it in two months, and I'm impatient lol

It's not a very complicated thing, yet, I think. Basically, just need some counters. The hard part is connecting it through wifi. Several devices need to be connected through wifi and need to be able to interact with each others counters...

If anyone can help me with this, please say so. I'm pretty optimistic about this game. I expect big profits. If only I could program it myself...

I'm sorry that I can't post more info about the game. Business security and all. I'm also gonna make anyone who wants to help me agree not to just steal my idea and run... I really expect a lot of profit with this after all. Can't be too safe...
Mew?
CourteousCastellan

Re: Need help making a game

Post by CourteousCastellan »

If you and your sister have enough technical know-how to make it yourselves, that will probably be the best bet.

It is nigh impossible to get people to join game development projects, unless you're paying them, they know you personally, or you have a working prototype already that is available for them to play and you just need their help to polish it up to completion. Most people don't trust others to go through with it, and even then, they would prefer to work on their own projects.

If you're very serious about this, I would recommend going to various gamedev forums and asking there. You could also potentially ask venture capitalists to invest in it. Unfortunately, you can't do either without telling them what it is. I've browsed many gamedev sites, and the developers there almost always mock people who don't want to tell them what the idea is. Most of the time, ideas don't sound as cool as they actually are, and often ideas aren't the most important thing anyway. Execution tends to be better than the idea. Many highly successful products across many industries were actually imitations of other people's products that were made better(or marketed better) than the original was. Such as Minecraft, World of Warcraft, iPhones, etc.

Another thing I've often noticed is that they tend to really hate people whose main job is to be the "ideas guy". You can only do that in professional corporate operations.

Now this might sound like I'm dissing your idea, and killing your dreams, but here's the uplifting part! Programming is really much easier than people think it is. It'd say it's easier than something like drawing which can only be improved through years of effort. A bad artist can't make a good drawing but a bad programmer can make a great game. Making games is also easier than ever before. You get tons of different programs that can be used to make games with almost no programming knowledge. If you like the idea of game development, I would highly suggest you take up programming. Those sites almost always recommend learning C# (not C or C++) or Python as these are much easier and more forgiving languages. Usually they recommend Python over C#, but you might be interested in using something like Unity which is in C#. This path will likely take quite a while before you can actually make your game, but it's great fun and also allows you to make many other things.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck with your game!
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

My sis said she can make it, but she's too busy right now

I'm great at business. I think I'd do great a marketing it, deciding on a price etc. Well, if my high school business studies means anything at all... It's one of my favourite subjects.

I don't really want others to know the idea... I have given it a lot of thought, and it is a good idea

Maybe I should try programming it myself. But I dono where to start...
Mew?
CourteousCastellan

Post by CourteousCastellan »

If your sister has the technical ability to do it, and she's okay with your role as producer, then it's probably best for you two to do it yourselves. Inviting team members often slows the project down and causes issues. Too many cooks spoil the broth as they always say. Then there is also the fact that recruiting members would need you to reveal the idea.

In regards to programming: I wouldn't really recommend it if you mainly want to learn it in order to make this game. If you like the idea of programming, and would love to make many games and applications, then I would heartily recommend it.

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi and multiplayer are the kind of things that are a bit out of reach for beginners, though.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

hence why I was intimidated...

I wasn't really looking for people to add to the team. My sis can only do it in two months from now, and I'm impatient lol

I'll just wait. Guess it's not too bad
Mew?
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

jacojerb wrote:hence why I was intimidated...

I wasn't really looking for people to add to the team. My sis can only do it in two months from now, and I'm impatient lol

I'll just wait. Guess it's not too bad
Have you considered doing it in a well established engine?

Recently purchase U4 engine to mess around on and the wireless interlinking stuff is pretty decent and all programmed into it. You can just call stuff via blueprint and so forth. Not to mention major support from the communities. Why reinvent the wheel?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Unity makes things almost trivial, and there is a free version that can be used. I think that you only have to pay licencing fees after 50,000 sales.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Thanks guys. Will check it out
Mew?