Server Location

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
ph3-der-loewe
Species: lion
Region: Other

Server Location

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

flum,

I noticed this forum isn't hosted in the neighborhood. It's hosted on a server in switzerland.
I wondered why it is this way. Aren't there any good hosters right where you are? Are there any problems?
Maybe you could give me a little hint on that topic.

PS: I don't think this is the best location for this posting, but I didn't find a better one. So admins, please move it to where you think it should be. Thank you!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Server Location

Post by Leeward »

Well... have you heard about how bad our Internet is down here? I'm sure that's not the limiting factor but I think it's easier to host abroad than here. I may be wrong though. Admins?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Cost.
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,

I already thought so. I think servers are much more expensive in some countries compared to others. The Internet connectivity for sure being one aspect directly or indirectly.
What I was hoping to hear was a bit more info. A more complete picture. Maybe a link to the biggest hoster or something so I can have a look myself.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Valerion »

Some for you:

http://www.hetzner.co.za/
http://www.afrihost.com/# (click on hosting)

Anoyomouse had a server in Switzerland already, though, and just piggy-backed on that account, I think.
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,
Auric wrote:
Valerion wrote:Anoyomouse had a server in Switzerland already, though, and just piggy-backed on that account, I think.
That's about the gist of it!
Jup. That sounds like it. Sure I would do the same in that case. :)

about the given links: Thank you. Hetzner is a well known German company. Our servers are located in two of their data centers.
To me the prices look like they are just slightly over the German prices (10..20%) which may be an effect of exchange rates and that they already have the infrastructure in Germany so it's only maintaining and getting bigger, not to open a new data center...

The other hoster seems to be some more expensive to me. Also unknown to me.

When I take into account the difference between how much the same amount of money is worth here an where you are that looks a lot more expensive and I think I understand better now.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Hetzner is really good btw, if youre looking for hosting.