Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Post by Ryall »

Righto, so here's the less cluttered, new and improved, TL;DR thread. :)

Same as before, here are the videos:

and

That was cool, right? 8-)
Sure as hell beats any Michael Bay movie I've seen. :P

So, comments and discussion: who's excited? :)
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Post by Sev »

It depends on how OP the killstreaks are. That mechsuit in particular look really painful.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

You'll likely be the one benefiting from the killstreaks M7. :P
If not, they're fairly easy to avoid, but you do get lots of points for destroying them. :)
Are you feeling brave?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Only if I have a good team watching my back.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Not likely. :P
If it's any consolation though, the enemy team is probably bad too. :D
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That's the one major problem that I've always had with the recent Call of Duty games: there's not teamwork, it's just a bunch of random kids running around.

The ironic thing about CoD is that the primary demographic (kids in their mid teens) aren't even technically old enough to play the game (18+).
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Haha, don't worry M7, Vox and I will play with you. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Well, that increases the likelihood of me buying it by 175%.
Dredge
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Rabbit

Post by Dredge »

oh mah gerd ...so much..text..cannot handle dah prezzah >_<

:P

Aaand I guess I'll be trying to budget for CoD now..if things go my way, since you okes will be terrorising the servers together xD
Marotter
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Otter
Region: Limpopo and Mpumalanga

Post by Marotter »

I've actually been getting on the Hype train for this... after the letdown that we call "CoD Ghosts" *shivers* I was a bit skeptical about the game #BrokenTrust, but it seems as if I've been given a reason to climb back on to CoD because the new ideas mixed into a classic FPS might just deliver us what we expected from Ghosts... an amount of pleasure...
We don't have to take our clothes off, to have a good time.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

So glad I never bought Ghosts: everyone who bought it has said it was rubbish. :D
Yeah, I definitely think, TOG, that the new studio and new features will make this one a refreshing change. Otherwise, things definitely have been stagnating a bit since COD MW3. :P

Nice to see you posting again, by the way. :)
Marotter
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Otter
Region: Limpopo and Mpumalanga

Post by Marotter »

You saved yourself a large amount of money my friend!
The only thing I liked about the game is the exit button ( -_-) I sort of expected it to Blue-Screen(of Death) your pc if you even dared quitting the game...

I'm glad that Sledgehammer is in charge of this one (They also helped on MW3) that just adds to the fact that this CoD can't be a total shite gargle, or an insult to every prior CoD title to date...

And thanks :P can't stay under the radar forever I guess XD
We don't have to take our clothes off, to have a good time.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Ten days...
Bring on the reviews damn it! :evil:

Ryall! I I'll be waiting on yours 8-) :P
/they're about the longest things I bother reading these days :lol:

..which admittedly needs to change :?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

So what do you think of this? http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/72347 ... on-shooter

I've actually met the author when he gave a talk at UCT. Interesting guy, though he hasn't been writing the interesting ethical posts he used to.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:So what do you think of this? http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/17/72347 ... on-shooter

I've actually met the author when he gave a talk at UCT. Interesting guy, though he hasn't been writing the interesting ethical posts he used to.
It has a hint of satire, but in essence I see what he's saying. You do kinda feel disconnected from your character at times and while you usually are the one watching the cool stuff happen and playing 'follow the leader', I find it's handled well enough that I enjoy the ride regardless :)
After all, they're meant to be roller coasters, short and sweet with EPIC moments, cool gadgets and fairly memorable characters, which there are plenty of ;)

Unlike the recent Medal of Honor and Battlefield Campaigns, which are trying to 'copy' the style, per se, but fall flat on their faces because they flow no where near as smoothly and actually come across as BLATANTLY heavy-handed in their bid to control what you see and do along with missions and features that feel like they were shoe-horned for the 'Me Too' effect -_-

In the end I definitely see a place for this style, there is a market for it and they cater fairly well with a tried and trusted formula that still 'works' :)

Also, it is almost half past one in the morning and my mind is tired..so it is quite possible I've missed the point entirely and just rambled on about nothing xD
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Someone replied! I was hoping for a bunch of COD fanboys but ended up taking 10 days to get a response. Why would Medal of Honor try copy it. They way predate COD. I remember getting the first two Medal of Honor games on Playstation looong ago. I loved how if you shot guys in the foot they would jump around and react. Of course then I learned to aim.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Call of Duty 1 and 2 were heavily inspired by the early MoH games.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Hello chaps. It's been a while, sorry for that.

@ Rakuen, I read the article, but I think the writer is misinterpreting Sledgehammer's attempt to fix an issue that has often plagued the CoD and MoH franchises.

In many of the previous games, you end up doing absolutely everything: plant all the bombs, take out all the bad guys, and rescue your teammates. Your teammates feel like dead-weight, you have no attachment to them, and you feel like a one-man army.

They want you to feel like you're part of an elite team, and they want you to care about the other characters for the sake of a more engaging experience.

However it's a fine line to balance, because they still have to give the player enough things to do so that he doesn't feel bored. At the end of the day, you still have the highest kill count, you still plant the bombs, you still man the gun turrets, and you still get to kill Kevin Spacey.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Ryall wrote:In many of the previous games, you end up doing absolutely everything: plant all the bombs, take out all the bad guys, and rescue your teammates. Your teammates feel like dead-weight, you have no attachment to them, and you feel like a one-man army.

They want you to feel like you're part of an elite team, and they want you to care about the other characters for the sake of a more engaging experience.
Well said :)
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:I loved how if you shot guys in the foot they would jump around and react. Of course then I learned to aim.
lol :lol: Yeah, we've all been there :P
As a PC gamer, playing it with those analogue sticks was largely responsible for my spastic shooting :D

Also to clarify Rakeun, when I say they're trying to be like CoD I mean more in the Single Player--> Although it's obvious that MoH is also trying to take them on in the MP arena too, which I can understand since that's the biggest part of the CoD money-magnet isn't it? Perhaps partially because of its name, but also largely because it serves up a freakin' awesome mix of gadgets, weapons, customization and a lots of instant satisfaction. Perfect for the average person who doesn't want to sit down for a 2 hour session of ARMA or Battlefield but rather wants a quick and satisfying 'fix' before he heads off to work or bed :P

Which I suppose is debatable since 'one more game' always leads to either a written warning or "Oh..it's 5am..well then..." :D :P
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Guys, forget about CoD.

PLAY INSURGENCY, PLAY INSURGENCY, PLAY INSURGENCY!!
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Make an insurgency thread for the people who care about a lame game.

Anyway, if anyone is playing the COD: AW Multiplayer at the moment, please let me know with a PM.

Myself, Ashley the Dragon (Glitch), VoxLupus, Dredge and Fluke all play from time to time. :)