Xbox ONE!

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...
Region: Gauteng

Re: Xbox ONE!

Post by Gothic Collie »

Seems Microsoft is now backtracking on the DRM, still wont call it a win just as yet, they still need to launch the console in more countries, drop the price, remove the forced requirement to have a kinect constantly attached, push the cpu+gpu power up, and then MAYBE I will get one...
Original story follows:

Citing multiple sources, GiantBomb says Microsoft has decided to remove a laundry list of Xbox One restrictions that customers considered negative:

No more always online requirement
The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
Authentication is no longer necessary
An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
Region locks have been dropped
http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing ... Socialflow
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

I think after the Don Mattrick PR disaster they got a lot of hate mail, twitter was going crazy about it with people messaging @xbox and @xbox_support , might have made them change there minds.

Allso by now they had a good idea of whats happening using the pre-order figures.

None the less I am still not getting one at launch, not that its going to be available here on day 1 anyway.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Gothic Collie wrote:Seems Microsoft is now backtracking on the DRM, still wont call it a win just as yet, they still need to launch the console in more countries, drop the price, remove the forced requirement to have a kinect constantly attached, push the cpu+gpu power up, and then MAYBE I will get one...
So what your saying is you'd buy one if it was a Sony PS4 ? Lol.

I think its too late for Microsoft. No matter how much they backtrack, They have showed their hand, We all now know what cards they want to play in the future. They will just slowly slip all those issues in one by one during the consoles lifetime and make them seem 'beneficial' so that their uses slowly relax into the pain. They have openly admitted to wanting to move all their games in a Steam direction because it will 'ultimately lower the price'. So now that they cant do that because their users are disappearing in droves..... Are they just going to jack up the already expensive price tags. Doubt it.

My money is on them slowly reverting to their always on, connect once a day, Steam check in Stalinist ways
[REDACTED]
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

I really wonder what it took them to realize that they were destroying themselves. I think it must've been when the pre-orders just didn't come through like they expected, but if anyone can find anything on what was the straw that broke the camel's back, that would be intriguing to look at.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Helios_phi wrote: So what your saying is you'd buy one if it was a Sony PS4 ? Lol.

Nope just to wait and see who has the best console in the end, MS caved in a bit now and hopefully will cave in with the rest, altough its wishful thinking that they will change specs this late during the game due to console probably allready being in production.
Koda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wusky

Post by Koda »

Hmm. This might be worth the read:

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-go ... socialflow

Woops...
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Gothic Collie wrote:
Helios_phi wrote: So what your saying is you'd buy one if it was a Sony PS4 ? Lol.

Nope just to wait and see who has the best console in the end, MS caved in a bit now and hopefully will cave in with the rest, altough its wishful thinking that they will change specs this late during the game due to console probably allready being in production.
Sorry GC, Was meant to be a playful jibe at Microsofts expense, Rereading it though makes it sound like its directed at you. not meant that way.

I don't think they can up the tech this time round, But its so close to whats in the PlayStation anyway.
Both consoles sadly fall far behind the mighty PC.
[REDACTED]
Koda
Species: Wusky

Post by Koda »

I read a article saying that the era of console gaming is over. I just can't find it now thogh. The figure that PC's, Tablets and smartphones will take over the gaming market because of the processing and graphics power they can fit into such small devices nowadays. was interesting.

But i'm still debating with my self whether or not i agree.
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Helios_phi wrote: Sorry GC, Was meant to be a playful jibe at Microsofts expense, Rereading it though makes it sound like its directed at you. not meant that way.

I don't think they can up the tech this time round, But its so close to whats in the PlayStation anyway.
Both consoles sadly fall far behind the mighty PC.
I didnt take it personal , but kindoff missed the point that it was a jib at MS.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Koda wrote:Hmm. This might be worth the read:

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-go ... socialflow

Woops...
I cant quite agree or disagree with this. It does make a few good points, but misses a bunch of others...
Mew?
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

No No No JJ, the idiot is wrong. completly wrong. go look under the comment section.
the idiot is a naive fool. none of the things he said that woukd happen witn the drm would have happened.

publishers are greedy leeches, they put drm on games and consoles to gain controll over the gamer and their buying action to sqweeze as much milk as posible out of them. Jim Sterling made a point on that and hell some big company CEOs Like Activion's have even admited that they would charge more for a game if it was posible. the systems this writer is suggesting would allow for cheaper games just because they make profit from second hand titles, would instead be used to jack up the price, and the consumer would have no say in it
Time to change
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

*runs into the thread* PC GAMING MASTER RACE! *scampers out*
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

Glory to the PC gaming master race! *runs after Flaxney*
Time to change
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Durosuka wrote:No No No JJ, the idiot is wrong. completly wrong. go look under the comment section.
the idiot is a naive fool. none of the things he said that woukd happen witn the drm would have happened.

publishers are greedy leeches, they put drm on games and consoles to gain controll over the gamer and their buying action to sqweeze as much milk as posible out of them. Jim Sterling made a point on that and hell some big company CEOs Like Activion's have even admited that they would charge more for a game if it was posible. the systems this writer is suggesting would allow for cheaper games just because they make profit from second hand titles, would instead be used to jack up the price, and the consumer would have no say in it
Sheesh, at least the 'idiot' can spell. :|
I mean, there is even a jagged red line that appears underneath the incorrectly spelt word and a simple right-click reveals possible corrections.

Not hard people.

I do slightly agree with you. While in theory it should yield the same profit with a lower initial cost - publishers will just charge the same as they do now and rake in more money.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

What I meant by agree with some is this: I like steam. If MS could/would actually have their network like steam, it would be awesome. But that would, unfortunately, cause the trouble of having to give MS the benifit of the doubt.
Even if it doesnt magically bring down prices, it does have advantages over discs. For one, you cant lose/damage it. You own it forever, just needs to download it again. It isnt a bad sistem, just needs to be implimented correctly. But that isnt something I trust with microsoft
Isnt steam making their own console? I remember hearing something like that. Perhaps they could impliment it correctly
(I would just like to apologise if I appear to not know what I'm talking about. This message is a compilation of a bunch of stuff I vaguely remember...)
Mew?
Gothic Collie

Post by Gothic Collie »

Digital Distribution doesn't equate to cheaper prices in the console world, just look at the full retail games currently offered on the WiiU market place, there all still the exact same price as what the game was released at as a physical boxed release in a shop on day 1

While shops the shops already started discounting the exact same titles to increase sales and open up more shelve space for new games.

Online Nintendo doesnt set the prices for these, its all done by the publishers.

Sure you get some good specials 2-3 years after the games been released, but in all fairness these sometime work out more than a physical "budget re-release" of the same game, and its far cheaper just to pick it up used at that stage.

Even steam during there "sales" sometimes work out more than a discounted boxed copy in the shop.

Also dont forget that having a game as digital download still costs the seller a lot of money in bandwidth costs,every time you download it, as well as the consumer.

As for people wanting to play there games "disc-less" and not having to worry about damaging or losing a game, Microsoft allready stated that they will be offering most of the games on Digital distribution as well, so its pretty much a null argument.

PS JacoJerb you dont ever "own" any games you purchase online, you rent them, I highly recommend you read the terms and conditions you agree, its scary, and non-permanent.

As for spelling: elkjfdgiefdjhpeudwhfpudashfoafhdgopfdiughopfdihugopfsdgpofsudhgpoifsudhg
Sunny Fox
Species: Silver Fox

Post by Sunny Fox »

B)
Attachments
1525506_373209802823820_1537102418_n.jpg
Yes it is true ^^, i was passed through this odd configuration of a human and for many years have pondered..believed that i am a therion, but i lurk in this furry fandom for it is a good way to stay close to my fox corporeal *giggles* so my "sojourn" is an aeon ^,..,^

Furaffinity
Furrbook
Steam
Dota2
Skype Ask me ^^,
Whatsapp: ask me ^^,
Tactica
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Western Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Tactica »

I somehow think that the Xbox One is going to be very expensive this side. But then I saw the Forza Horizon 2 demo and I just completely melted 0.=.0

If I ever have a reason to get an Xbox, this would be it.
Embrace thy darkness!
Species: Western Hydroelectic Dragon
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

You can keep your mid-range PC from 2011 "console"