Living in ZA, talking about money

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
ph3-der-loewe
Species: lion
Region: Other

Living in ZA, talking about money

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

flum my friends,

Hope all of you are well!

Lion is going to ask a strange question again...

If you want to have a ok living within your fine country, that includes a food, taxes, some place to sleep (think: student digs, not first class apartment with whirlpool; yet in one of the safer (and sure more expensive) areas), ... How much does your job need to pay?

I know countries aren't the same all over, so I expect answers like 'Here in A you would need about B.' or even 'Here in A you need B for x, C for y, D fror z and E for all the random stuff'.

I thank you very much for being patient with me asking strange stuff!

Have a nice day!

(As part of my study I also got a little bit into international markets. Also those numbers can tell something exchange rate Rand<->Euro can not tell me. I'm still hunting for some more detailed characteristic numbers as part of understanding the place. Consider this question in this context.)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Living in ZA, talking about money

Post by Sev »

Paying for private education, private health care, eating quality food, and living in a decent house?

At a minimum, I would say R1 million a year, before taxes. Since SARS is so greedy, anything lower than that seems an impossibility.

However, if you actually want to live properly, you're looking at post R3 million. That's were you can start buying German cars and living in nice apartments.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Sev wrote:Paying for private education, private health care, eating quality food, and living in a decent house?

At a minimum, I would say R1 million a year, before taxes. Since SARS is so greedy, anything lower than that seems an impossibility.

However, if you actually want to live properly, you're looking at post R3 million. That's were you can start buying German cars and living in nice apartments.
Earning 83 000 / month? Lol no, that's a gross overestimate.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

He did say student digs and comfort.
Hmmm.... excluding what your university costs you. You could probably get by comfortably on about +-40k a month. That's still under the legal tax declaration from one employer. So as long as you pay uif. The rest of the cash is yours.
[REDACTED]
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

TIL everyone's family is much richer than mine.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Holy f*** Sev, what planet do you live on? That's what you need to sustain kids of scholar age, not to get by as a student, which is what ph3-der-loewe was asking.

I'm a student living in a relatively safe campus town in a flat with my boyfriend (also a student, he owns the flat). Not including education (paid by parents and bursaries) but including everything else: taxes, good food, fuel, Internet, and the occasional luxury (e.g. new appliances and furniture, restaurant outing, new clothes, computer games, etc), we get by on less than R10 000 combined per month. And we live very comfortably for students.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Leeward wrote:Holy f*** Sev, what planet do you live on? That's what you need to sustain kids of scholar age, not to get by as a student, which is what ph3-der-loewe was asking.

I'm a student living in a relatively safe campus town in a flat with my boyfriend (also a student, he owns the flat). Not including education (paid by parents and bursaries) but including everything else: taxes, good food, fuel, and the occasional luxury (e.g. new appliances and furniture, restaurant outing, new clothes, computer games, etc), we get by on less than R10 000 combined per month. And we live very comfortably for students.

Yeah my mom earned less than 40k with her old job, and we live pretty comfortably.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:Holy f*** Sev, what planet do you live on? That's what you need to sustain kids of scholar age, not to get by as a student, which is what ph3-der-loewe was asking.
My reality, thank you very much. Granted when I do make it out on my own in the next two years, it's going to be painful, so very painful. :(
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

A good choice for lifestyle is always to ensure that your rent is lower or equal to a third of your income. Ensuring that you'd be looking at (for one person) around R1500-R2000 for groceries etc. Petrol which is a bit more expensive here but if you have a light car and a 38l tank you'd be looking at around R900-R1000 for petrol per month for a 40km round trip from home to work/studies. If you also want to have a social life you'd be looking at around maybe R500pw or R2000pm to ensure you have a good time without having to go out for drinks on someone else's tab. :D

Tax bracket is actually anything above 8kpm Helios.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Ivic-Wulfe wrote:Tax bracket is actually anything above 8kpm Helios.
Lol. Whoops.
Shows why I shouldn't be picking up the arse ends of others conversations.
Luckily that's all my bookkeepers job. :)
Ivic-Wulfe wrote:Ensuring that you'd be looking at (for one person) around R1500-R2000 for groceries etc
What do you furries eat?
Leeward wrote:we get by on less than R10 000 combined per month. And we live very comfortably for students.
O.o Thats thrifty.
Seriously guys. How do you live on that?
Shit. The stress of budgeting money just to service a car or panic without money tucked away just incase something goes wrong?
That's the kinda stress that kills you.
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:
Leeward wrote:we get by on less than R10 000 combined per month. And we live very comfortably for students.
O.o Thats thrifty.
Seriously guys. How do you live on that?
Shit. The stress of budgeting money just to service a car or panic without money tucked away just incase something goes wrong?
That's the kinda stress that kills you.
You'd be surprised how far so little can go if you shop around, exploit specials, buy in bulk and freeze things. Having a gas stove saves you a lot compared to electricity as well. Any large expenses and emergencies are mostly covered by our parents, because they know full well that we can't really afford to save anything on that much. We almost never come short on groceries and essentials at the end of the month, and we have no debt (which I'm very grateful for). Hopefully once we start working things will get a lot more comfortable, but in the meantime I'm happy I'm not living on instant noodles in a decrepit rented flat where one will probably get robbed.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I would miss things like being able to buy as fuel as I want each month.

That, and really nice food all of the time.
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

wow, wow. Thank you for all your replies!

First of all a little side node: I don't have a driver license nor am I into cars at all. I try to avoid them as much as possible. So in fact I don't knoe the prices here in Germany for cars nor fuel. But I think I will ask a friend about that so I can compare.

A few questions arose when reading your many responses:
Helios_phi wrote:So as long as you pay uif.
What is 'uif'?
Ivic-Wulfe wrote:Tax bracket is actually anything above 8kpm Helios.
Ok. So if you are above those R8k you need to fill out some forms and are asked to pay some percent? That is how it works in Germany but I'm not sure how it works for you!

I'm a student living in a relatively safe campus town in a flat with my boyfriend (also a student, he owns the flat). Not including education (paid by parents and bursaries) but including everything else: taxes, good food, fuel, Internet, and the occasional luxury (e.g. new appliances and furniture, restaurant outing, new clothes, computer games, etc), we get by on less than R10 000 combined per month. And we live very comfortably for students.
Ok. So for a single person that doesn't need to fear dead on out-of-money but needs to cover all the running costs we are at something like R8k..R10k?

PS: @Leeward: Yes, It's nice to be around in the forum. But I never left, just very busy with my study. It's a shame I don't have as much time for my friends as I would like to have!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Sev wrote:I would miss things like being able to buy as fuel as I want each month.

That, and really nice food all of the time.
When you've grown up having neither of those luxuries, it's really easy to live off of less money than you said.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

ph3-der-loewe wrote:First of all a little side node: I don't have a driver license nor am I into cars at all. I try to avoid them as much as possible. So in fact I don't knoe the prices here in Germany for cars nor fuel. But I think I will ask a friend about that so I can compare.
Public transport here is nowhere near as good as in Europe, so if you're planning on moving here you might up having to.
ph3-der-loewe wrote:
Helios_phi wrote:So as long as you pay uif.
What is 'uif'?
Unemployment Insurance Fund.
ph3-der-loewe wrote:Ok. So for a single person that doesn't need to fear dead on out-of-money but needs to cover all the running costs we are at something like R8k..R10k?
That would cover the bare essentials comfortably, yes.
ph3-der-loewe wrote:PS: @Leeward: Yes, It's nice to be around in the forum. But I never left, just very busy with my study. It's a shame I don't have as much time for my friends as I would like to have!
You're not the only one in that situation, I understand. ;)
Fluke wrote:When you've grown up having neither of those luxuries, it's really easy to live off of less money than you said.
Agreed, it's more a question of habit than actual need. Besides, no normal student would earn that much on their own.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Heck, R20k per month for a starting job for a student (full time job) is a lot!

Starting jobs normally range from R6-12k for most.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

I hit the ground running. From the time I started my apprenticeship, I worked two jobs. I used to pull around R600 a night working as a waiter.
It's really easy money to be made.
There is no time to be lazy if you love money.
[REDACTED]
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

Leeward wrote:
ph3-der-loewe wrote:First of all a little side node: I don't have a driver license nor am I into cars at all. I try to avoid them as much as possible. So in fact I don't knoe the prices here in Germany for cars nor fuel. But I think I will ask a friend about that so I can compare.
Public transport here is nowhere near as good as in Europe, so if you're planning on moving here you might up having to.
Yes. Public transport seems to be some problem. But a international driver license is very expensive (at least in Germany. I wouldn't expect to get one for less than like R50k. Is that different in SA?). Also I do not plan to move to SA. It's not something about you but about me: I think I belong to Germany and the people. Yet I still would love to visit all of you some day!
Leeward wrote:
ph3-der-loewe wrote:Ok. So for a single person that doesn't need to fear dead on out-of-money but needs to cover all the running costs we are at something like R8k..R10k?
That would cover the bare essentials comfortably, yes.
ok. see below.
Fluke wrote:Heck, R20k per month for a starting job for a student (full time job) is a lot!

Starting jobs normally range from R6-12k for most.
hm... Those numbers doesn't sound too far off how it is in Germany. Smaller difference than I thought.
e.g. if unemployed you get about R6k + some money for cheap flat. The amount is defined as "the bare minimum" by law. I n fact I life with a little bit less. That's only possible e.g. as I share the flat with some friend to safe some money.

Starting jobs here may have a little bit wider range. If you hit a really good one after finishing with good marks and stuff you can earn like R40k. But I think most students will end up on the 'low price segment' (see the change in the perspective!) with a so called '400€ Job' (you get R5.6k and may apply for some sponsorship by the same office as paying the unemployed).
Helios_phi wrote:I hit the ground running. From the time I started my apprenticeship, I worked two jobs. I used to pull around R600 a night working as a waiter.
It's really easy money to be made.
There is no time to be lazy if you love money.
Yes. I work as software developed to get some extra money in. I can't life on that. But it allows me to pay extra bills like the one from the copy shop the other day or this new pen you need for study...
Plushy
Species: Fennec Plushy and Others

Post by Plushy »

Plushy poor 0.0 Cant find jobzie and cant afford studyzies 0.0 If anyone has Mastered Sorcery please turn Plushy into a fennec fox so I can be someones purry pet ;p thats my dream for Plushy has no future at allzie
Purrzie
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Plushy wrote:Plushy poor 0.0 Cant find jobzie and cant afford studyzies 0.0 If anyone has Mastered Sorcery please turn Plushy into a fennec fox so I can be someones purry pet ;p thats my dream for Plushy has no future at allzie
Where are you living then?
Plushy

Post by Plushy »

Momzie :(
Purrzie
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

For your sake I hope you manage to come up with a better plan than that, Plushy, because sitting around at 27 waiting for Prince Charming to come and rescue you is wishful thinking at best.

I don't know what your circumstances are, but even taking up some low-end job like being a waiter, working hard at that to get a good recommendation from your manager, and then applying for other jobs would be a better idea than sitting around not doing anything because you 'tried already.'
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wait, Plushy is 27? 0_0
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Sev wrote:Wait, Plushy is 27? 0_0
I know. More than twice what I would've guessed.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote:For your sake I hope you manage to come up with a better plan than that, Plushy, because sitting around at 27 waiting for Prince Charming to come and rescue you is wishful thinking at best.
I know somebody who is 32 and in the same position.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

He does make a good hat.
Maybe consider becoming a milliner?
[REDACTED]
Plushy

Post by Plushy »

Ive tried waitering twice, were fired cause im 2 slow and clumsy. They dont want to give me a chancezie. Im not sitting doing noting, I try everywherezie and hand in CVs everywhere and even went for lots of interviews at new mall. Nothing. Tried dep of labour, hospital, municipality. Everywherezie. I think they have posters warning of hobo plushies looking for work or somethingzie. My circumstances always against me.
Purrzie
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Sev wrote:Wait, Plushy is 27? 0_0
I know. More than twice what I would've guessed.
You mean "less than half"?
Plushy

Post by Plushy »

Yes I am 27 and have nothing to show for it
Purrzie
Plushy