Should I take this opportunity?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Should I take this opportunity?

Post by YoteFox »

Hope this is in the right place please move if it isn't ADMIN
So recently I found out that I might have an opportunity to finish my studies in Australia and possibly live there, although I would love to take this opportunity there is so much keeping me in South Africa.
-Family
-Friends
-Furmaly
-Assets ie. My VW's etc

But I am afraid if I do not take this opportunity I might never ever get this opportunity again in my life, since I am still young and can still build a decent life in Australia.
In all honesty I am not a fan of South Africa, I love the beauty of this country but it is not enough to keep me here, Australia has it's beauty as well and a better future for people of uhm my race...

Please do not rant and rave at me for being "Racist" because that is honestly not why I made this thread and I don't feel that I am being racist since there are obvious signs out there showing what the future holds for this soon-to-be Zimbabwe country.

I have always said I want to immigrate from this country and now that my opportunities are there the actual thought of leaving everything and everyone behind scares the shit out of me but I still want to do it since the future benefits will be far better than staying.

Do I not take this opportunity I still have a relatively alright future in this country since my degree that I am studying and my overall future career is heavily sought after in SA, but my future is not the one I am concerned about, it is the future of my future offspring one day and their offspring.

How can you raise a family in a country like this with all it's bad examples of politicians and racism doing the rounds as if it's a norm, squatter camps getting better public services than tax paying suburbans.

So to sum this up I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to move to Australia and begin a life there or I can stay in SA and continue this life of uncertainty regarding my skin color.

What is your inputs? Would you take the opportunity and move to Aussie?
Would you stay behind and hope for the best?
Keep in mind I am 19 and can still build a life in Australia
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: Should I take this opportunity?

Post by jacojerb »

In the end, this is a decision you'll have to make, and like my stepdad told me, it's one you'll have to make very selfishly

I myself have the opportunity to move to England next year. My mom is moving then, and she really wants me to go with, but I just don't know...

The comparison I've come to make is, would you shoot yourself to go to heaven? Let's face it, within a few years, you'll have so very little left from your life in S-A. Your life may be better that side, but you'll have to give up your life here...
Mew?
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

jacojerb wrote:In the end, this is a decision you'll have to make, and like my stepdad told me, it's one you'll have to make very selfishly

I myself have the opportunity to move to England next year. My mom is moving then, and she really wants me to go with, but I just don't know...

The comparison I've come to make is, would you shoot yourself to go to heaven? Let's face it, within a few years, you'll have so very little left from your life in S-A. Your life may be better that side, but you'll have to give up your life here...
You have a very good point there, it depends from me at the end and it might be selfish choice at first but it would give my future family a better life and that's really all that matters.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I'd say do it. Even if you don't end up living there it's a great opportunity and a chance to see what it's like in another country. There are so many times you get a chance like that. I'm going to be going to Austria and Germany to study very soon.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Well I have looked into taking my car's with me, they might take some effort to get them there and it is going to take over like 10 years but for a classic I believe it's worth it.

As far as I know there is even a furcon in Australia known as FurDU and the fandom there is quite large, but I will never just forget my furmaly in SA of course.

I think the best choice will be in the end to just go there and do it, get a job and start a life in Australia
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Go for it! I would jump at an opportunity like that if I were still single. You can always travel back here for visits and even move back at a later stage if you wanted to. Don't make yourself regret not doing this out of fear.

(BTW immigrate means travel into; you mean emigrate which means travel out of.)
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

Leeward wrote:Go for it! I would jump at an opportunity like that if I were still single. You can always travel back here for visits and even move back at a later stage if you wanted to. Don't make yourself regret not doing this out of fear.

(BTW immigrate means travel into; you mean emigrate which means travel out of.)
First point being I'm not single XD
Still going to do it though, had a long conversation with my gf I might be staying with her fam in Aus even and as soon as I tell her she can move to Aus she is going to move with me officially to Aus.
I also feel this is a too good a chance to just let pass by

Thanx for the correction XD I had a feeling I might have used the wrong word
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Oh awesome, that is a HUGE plus that you get to move together. It seems like you have all the advantages that matter on your side. You have nothing to be afraid of.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

She is really excited to move as well
I guess what is scaring me is the fact of the complete change in life and lifestyle, problem being also once my vehicles are out of SA they're not coming back, if my bug is there I'm staying there. I have quite allot to think about. This isn't an overnight thing this will inevitably determine my future I guess that is another fact that is scaring me
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

The only thing that really sucks about Australia is their retarded rating system and censorship of games. No 18+ classification exists over there, which means that all games rated as 18+ get banned.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Actually, that's no longer true. For example, as a result of this, Valve was able to resubmit the uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

MontgomerySeven wrote:Actually, that's no longer true. For example, as a result of this, Valve was able to resubmit the uncensored version of Left 4 Dead 2.
Really? Then they did all this for nothing...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

If I remember correctly, only the console versions were censored.

And if you're doubting me about this, don't. After all, you're not the one reads PC Gamer ever day for the last 4 years.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

No need to get touchy, I wasn't doubting you. It was a "really" of astonishment. Also I doubt you're the only one here who reads PC Gamer.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

NO 18+ TITLES!!!! WTF!!!! -1 for Australia
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

I wouldn't. Australia is a nanny controlled state.
If you drive 10km over the speed limit, the car driving behind you will phone your plates into the cops.
If you light a fire for a braai, there will be some green peace warrior knocking on your door because he saw the smoke.
You get fined if you don't recycle..... Okay so that's not such a bad thing.
Point is that Australia, like any first world country is too heavily regulated.
The people are largely arseholes too, like the kind of people who purposefully slip on a wet floor so they can sue wallmart.

I can't stand the bullshit red tape and bureaucracy.
I'll stay in third world countries.
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:If you drive 10km over the speed limit, the car driving behind you will phone your plates into the cops.
If you light a fire for a braai, there will be some green peace warrior knocking on your door because he saw the smoke.
You get fined if you don't recycle..... Okay so that's not such a bad thing.
Get into the habit of not speeding, it's not that hard, especially in an older car. Tell your neighbours in advance if you're going to have a controlled fire; they have good reason to be careful about that. Learn to recycle. Not hard either, it's a habit, and it's beneficial to the environment.
Helios_phi wrote:The people are largely arseholes too, like the kind of people who purposefully slip on a wet floor so they can sue wallmart.
Okay that's not so nice, but aren't the majority of people like that everywhere anyway? I'm sure not everyone there is a self-righteous tattletale. It probably depends on the region too. Australia is pretty big.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Yea, I am unfairly generalising, but it's kinda the things you experience being there.
Like telling foreign people about tin shack houses here in S.A. They aren't everywhere, but chances are, that if you visit South Africa, you're going to see one.

Those are just some of the things you will experience living there.
Much restricted and regulated freedom.
Leeward wrote: Get into the habit of not speeding, it's not that hard, especially in an older car.
And no.
It's just not going to happen.
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:
Leeward wrote: Get into the habit of not speeding, it's not that hard, especially in an older car.
And no.
It's just not going to happen.
It's your life. And those of your passengers. And those of anyone else involved in a collision.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Nope, bike.
No passengers.

Just cause I don't mind killing myself, doesn't mean I have to take others with me. Lol.
We digress thou. Sorry Yote. We're making your thread untidy.
[REDACTED]
Kenjomik
Species: Cheetah

Post by Kenjomik »

I agree with Leeward that those regulations you mention exist for a good reason; living in a first world country myself I certainly don't feel that my freedom is in any way restricted by such regulations (although to be fair I don't drive and can't really say anything about that). If anything I consider following them a sign that you care about the people around you :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Since Taka got provisional acceptance into the University of Melbourne's master program, there is a fair chance that we will end up moving there. I won't lie, I will really miss going 160 on the highway.

BUT, then again, I used to live in Australia, and it's just an absolutely fantastic country - bar the fact that everything costs so much over there, of course.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Oooooh....... that's right. I forgot about that. You can't beat the beaches of Australia. They are nice.
[REDACTED]
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I made a choice to move to Gauteng, not as big a move but very much the same repercussions.

I've made my views rather clear in respect to what could be done in this country, if those who were able, stayed. You're an asset with insight. Everyone is. If you can read the paper and understand the varied intricacies of country politics and can understand the 'tenuous' standings in one country and the other that means you have insight and you have value. The choice is that you take that value with you when you go.

I digress. The opportunity is to go overseas, to finish your studies and nothing ever hinders you from coming back. You'd gain experiences outside the realm of South Africa that could only be gained there. And that kind of experience is very important.

Maybe I would change my opinion on going overseas if it meant that I would only have to stay there for a year or two. Starting a life, especially a new one in a new country is probably one of the most difficult things that can be done. I can promise you that you WILL be lonely and you will, until you have acclimatized, be seen as the outsider, the odd one out.

Every country has its varied sets of problems and a lot of the time they aren't that much different from places like South Africa. I'd personally go if it would help with my own personal journey. And THAT is the crux.

You seem to believe it WILL benefit you and I have no doubt it will remember, your journey IS a personal one. Those around you can only advise as far as you make your own decision.

If you work at it and understand the ramifications and are willing to deal with any major/minor failures on your part as a result of that decision, that kind of growth is worth more than any kind of monetary benefit in the world.

Choose your path wisely.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

I am planning to move out of South Africa when I have ~3 years of job experience.
My job pays a lot better in other places, and RSA doesn't have a good outlook.
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

This truly is a hard decision for me, yes I can come back but in all honesty once I am there I don't want to come back to SA. The thing phasing me is going permanently to Australia the initial opportunity is studying abroad and gaining international experience but the opportunity that can arise from that is getting a job in Australia and in all honesty I am a monetary driven person the more the pay the happier I am after all that is what life is really about let's be honest.

The thing about Australia being bureaucratic is that is the type of person I am hence I am studying accounting. I am the type of person that will follow speed limits, I am the type of person that will get a license for my dog and I will use a gas braai instead since it's somewhat more Ozone friendly than a charcoal braai. The thing is I feel like I belong in a country like that. Also my GF's family living in Australia bought their cars 4 years ago and they barely have 30000k on the clock on account of the fact that the public transport system is incredible and their initial idea was to move back after a few years and they fell in love with the country.

Let's be honest we are fighting a losing battle in SA, there is no point in me staying I hate this third world corruption and political unstable crap. Therefore I have made my decision I am taking this opportunity and I am going to study in Australia but and there is always a but I am going to use the study period in Australia as a test run of how the country is.

Ivic I fully understand what your saying, I feel that if I move to Australia I will be happy it's been a dream of mine since I can remember to one day leave this country and start my life over in a better one. I do not mean any offense towards this country it is a beautiful country but really that's not enough to keep me here.

I feel that in Australia is a better chance for me to grow in my future career and fulfill my dreams of owning the car or house of my dreams.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote

TakaLion
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Lion

Post by TakaLion »

Hey Yotes ^^,

I gotta say that's a really amazing opportunity!
It looks like you're fairly set on going already, woo!

Just I thought I'd share what I know in the off chance it might help ^^,

If you're the kind of guy that likes to do things the right way, then you'll love Aus! Things are incredibly effecient. Everything just works there! Most abide by the rules, and it makes for a far more harmonious society.

Helios definitely has a point about Aus being a nanny state.
Adjusting to heavy regulations (from almost lawlessness) can be quite tough for us SAfricans.
I remember watching their version of Cops. It featured under cover Aussie cops busting a granny for having more than two cats :/

In terms of accounting, there's a lot of opportunity to work at international firms like KPMG, Delloite and PwC. Monash Australia seems to have quite a few graduates working at said companies. The nice thing about international firms is that you can move around. If you end up at an international firm, get sick of Aus, and want to move back to SA; it's entirely possible that you could relocate back here. Vice versa if you end up staying here and wanting to move there.

Another note (more information can't hurt, although it can make decisions harder xD):
In a rare achievement, South Africa has the best auditing and accounting standards in the world. As ranked by the World Economic Forum.
We have some incredible accountants. [I reckon it's because they've dealt with so much corruption that they know every trick in the book. xD]
As a result South Africa is a surprisingly good place to do your articles/get experience. From what I understand, accountants here also tend to get more responsibility at a younger age. My Dad worked at KPMG here and moved across to London for a year and a half. He said he was entrusted with far more responsibility (in an equivalent position) here.

If you're planning on doing the study abroad program at the Clayton campus that sounds like a flipping great idea! Have you considered doing the program for 6 months and perhaps deciding on whether to stay on further while you're there?
Is a lion, does lion things, Rawr!
*Falls asleep* :3
YoteFox

Post by YoteFox »

TakaLion wrote:
If you're planning on doing the study abroad program at the Clayton campus that sounds like a flipping great idea! Have you considered doing the program for 6 months and perhaps deciding on whether to stay on further while you're there?
Heya Taka

That is exactly my plan what I want to do, go abroad to Clayton for 6 months and give Aus a test run. I haven't gone into depth with researching accountant firms in SA and I probably should have at first haha.

Studying in Australia to broaden my horizons I am surely going to do, I guess I should do my homework more before making my final decision.
I'd rather be fursuiting

- Pepper Coyote