Cooking

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
ph3-der-loewe
Species: lion
Region: Other

Cooking

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

flum,

I found a shop that also sells 'African food' according to a large sign on the door in Frankfurt a.M.. That was a little trigger for me. We cooked 'the Japanese way' with a friend (not the way most people think is Japanese but what they actually eat. At least we tried to). So I wondered what you like to eat? I there any suggestion what I/we could try?

I was talking in #ZAFur already about it. I was told it's mostly western style. It's ok if you tell me 'Pizza!'. :) But even here in germany there is a large difference between north and south, west and east.

So just write what you think!

Thanks for reading my post :)

(PS: Next you may already know: lion is heading for his train ;)
Helios_phi
The depraved

Re: Cooking

Post by Helios_phi »

If your looking for strange and unique food to clog your arteries, the Cape gatsby might be for you.
Hollow out a half loaf of white bread, fill it with layers of limply cooked french fries, processed cheese and bologna..... or polony as we call it. It's something that you'll definitely only find in South Africa
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

If you want to try Cape Malay, go for bobotie. It's one of my favourite local dishes. For something more commonplace, try a boerie roll (hot dog roll with boerewors, ketchup/chutney optional).
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Post by Hargan »

Helios_phi wrote:If your looking for strange and unique food to clog your arteries, the Cape gatsby might be for you.
Hollow out a half loaf of white bread, fill it with layers of limply cooked french fries, processed cheese and bologna..... or polony as we call it. It's something that you'll definitely only find in South Africa
Also known as the chip and polony kota, but is essentially what is known as the bunny chow. I prefer mine with atchar instead of polony.

But if you want something quite good, I feel you can never go too wrong with boerewors.

Or pap and sauce. Which is essentially mielie meal (pap) and a tomato and onion relish
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

BILTONG!!! :3

Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Sago pudding is pretty epic. That's South African, correct?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Contrast wrote:BILTONG!!! :3
I second that.

Also something I've noticed the slightly French cuisine-inclined South Africans do as an appetiser is take a slice of fresh garlic bread with brie or camembert and green fig preserve or apricot jam, and melt it to eat warm. Note that this has absolutely nothing to do with French cuisine other than that the cheese is French and there is garlic.
MontgomerySeven wrote:Sago pudding is pretty epic. That's South African, correct?
Not of origin, but it is a Cape Malay dessert here, yes. Malva pudding is Cape Dutch and therefore considered a South African dessert.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged multiple posts.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Malva pudding is also pretty epic, and that's about the extent of my liking for the local cuisine.

I wish that Tim Tams weren't so expensive here. :(
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

What kind of Japanese food did you cook?

Speaking of ethnic food, the best dish I've ever cooked (coincidentally one of the only dishes I've ever cooked :P ) was beef strogonoff. VoxLupus and I cooked it on new years. It was easy to make, and absolutely delicious. Who knew Russians had great food?

Leeward wrote:If you want to try Cape Malay, go for bobotie. It's one of my favourite local dishes...
MMMmmm. Good recommendation. Bobotie is amazing. It mixes together so many things I like: mince meat, spices, and raisins, and omelette. :D
Hahaha! :lol:
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

If you want to try something supersweet try Koeksisters, in my personal opinion one of the best accomanyments for an esspresso shot, how the Italians did not invent them I do not know
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

Asbjorn-phoenix wrote:If you want to try something supersweet try Koeksisters, in my personal opinion one of the best accomanyments for an esspresso shot, how the Italians did not invent them I do not know
Just a clarification here. When you say "koeksisters", do you mean the traditional South African braided syrup-coated doughnuts, or lesbians? Because that could work both ways. :P
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Asbjorn-phoenix wrote:If you want to try something supersweet try Koeksisters, in my personal opinion one of the best accomanyments for an esspresso shot, how the Italians did not invent them I do not know

If there was any advice I could ever give is that everybody really needs a nespresso machine!
And espresso is best paired with a shot of sake.
[REDACTED]
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Contrast wrote:
Just a clarification here. When you say "koeksisters", do you mean the traditional South African braided syrup-coated doughnuts, or lesbians? Because that could work both ways. :P
Definitley the traditional braided sweet... :lol:
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,

I haven't thought you would write so many replies to my question :)
I'm a little short on time and sadly hasn't had the time to answer last weekend. :(

Something I forgot to tell, I think I wrote it in the introduction thread but not here: I'm a veggi lion. But I think you already gave me some veggi hits :)

I need to lookup all the stuff but some names sound familiar. I did some Wikipedia reading already. I think that is why. :)
Maybe I should start a list what I would like to try and what you need to do so. Let's hope I get all the ingredients.

I will go into details a little later. You know, it's morning and my train isn't waiting for me :)
Have a nice day!
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

ph3-der-loewe wrote:Something I forgot to tell, I think I wrote it in the introduction thread but not here: I'm a veggi lion. But I think you already gave me some veggi hits :)
Well that's biltong and bobotie out the window :cry: ...I most certainly would not enjoy be a vegetarian. But to each his own, I suppose.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

"Felids are sometimes referred to as hypercarnivores because of the much higher proportion of protein they require in their diet, much more than most other mammals."
ph3-der-loewe wrote:Something I forgot to tell, I think I wrote it in the introduction thread but not here: I'm a veggi lion.
So how's that working out for you? :lol:
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic

Post by Contrast »

"Animals eat other animals, it's nature!"
"No it isn't! We taught a lion to eat tofu!"

rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

Contrast wrote:"Animals eat other animals, it's nature!"

Oh poor thing...
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Contrast wrote:"Animals eat other animals, it's nature!"
Oh Snap. That was a good episode.
[REDACTED]
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,
MontgomerySeven wrote:"Felids are sometimes referred to as hypercarnivores because of the much higher proportion of protein they require in their diet, much more than most other mammals."
ph3-der-loewe wrote:Something I forgot to tell, I think I wrote it in the introduction thread but not here: I'm a veggi lion.
So how's that working out for you? :lol:
Oh I don't see any problem with that. I'm all healthy and it feels good this way. To me it's a strange idea to eat dead animals ;).
Btw. I don't have a problem with working with fresh meat. I sometimes get involved in getting the food ready for the tigers and I used to bring them their food. (Yet this is not my main activity, I think I can help more in other parts of the work). (A relevant diffrence may be that the meat for the tigers is fresh while that for humans normally isn't. I don't like the smell old meat as used for human food has.)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wait, wait, wait. Back up for a second...

You've fed tigers? That's awesome; you never mentioned that before, as far as I can remember.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yeah I was wondering too, do you work at a zoo or some such? I used to volunteer for a raptor rehabilitation and awareness park, that was an awesome experience.
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,
MontgomerySeven wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Back up for a second...
You've fed tigers? That's awesome; you never mentioned that before, as far as I can remember.
Yes. But I still think there are other parts of the work that are more fun. Such as when you are greeted by the tigers in the morning.
Leeward wrote:Yeah I was wondering too, do you work at a zoo or some such? I used to volunteer for a raptor rehabilitation and awareness park, that was an awesome experience.
Here in Germany there are a few projects that are not zoos or other such but 'hobbyists' kind of projects. I've been working on the Tigerranch (http://en.tigerranch.de/) for some time now. It's basically a home for those tigers (or big cats in general) in need to find a new home because they are old or something and can no longer work, was rescued from bad private places and stuff. I've spend as much time at it for a little more than the last ten years now. Sadly it's a few hundred km away from where I life so I can't be there as much as I would like.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

ph3-der-loewe wrote:Here in Germany there are a few projects that are not zoos or other such but 'hobbyists' kind of projects. I've been working on the Tigerranch (http://en.tigerranch.de/) for some time now. It's basically a home for those tigers (or big cats in general) in need to find a new home because they are old or something and can no longer work, was rescued from bad private places and stuff. I've spend as much time at it for a little more than the last ten years now. Sadly it's a few hundred km away from where I life so I can't be there as much as I would like.
I heard that good European zoos aren't like our traditional idea of zoos (animals in cages etc) at all, but rather like separate small parks that are as close to the species' natural habitat, diet, freedom, etc as possible; is that accurate? I find that so much better. Seeing an animal in a cage (unless for medical reasons and such) makes me feel sick. Why should we imprison animals to see them instead of observing them in their natural habitat?

Also to ensure this doesn't go off-topic, I just want to mention that my man just made some jalapeño-carrot relish that is out of this world. :3
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,
Leeward wrote:
ph3-der-loewe wrote:Here in Germany there are a few projects that are not zoos or other such but 'hobbyists' kind of projects. I've been working on the Tigerranch (http://en.tigerranch.de/) for some time now. It's basically a home for those tigers (or big cats in general) in need to find a new home because they are old or something and can no longer work, was rescued from bad private places and stuff. I've spend as much time at it for a little more than the last ten years now. Sadly it's a few hundred km away from where I life so I can't be there as much as I would like.
I heard that good European zoos aren't like our traditional idea of zoos (animals in cages etc) at all, but rather like separate small parks that are as close to the species' natural habitat, diet, freedom, etc as possible; is that accurate? I find that so much better. Seeing an animal in a cage (unless for medical reasons and such) makes me feel sick. Why should we imprison animals to see them instead of observing them in their natural habitat?
I think we already have good standards. I visited serveral zoos already that was how you described. But not all are like that already. Problem is, as always: cost. Bigger 'apartments' (sorry ;) are more expensive. Also less animals mean less money as fewer people come to visit (that is what is told. I think there are also other possibilities to keep the money flowing. AND lot's of zoos are run commercially. So whatever you do, shareholders will tell you that there is too little money... That is also why there often happen to be stuff that the public is not to know like cute little lions that just disappear.). I think we are on a good way but there is still room for a lot smaller and bigger improvements. :)
Leeward wrote:Also to ensure this doesn't go off-topic, I just want to mention that my man just made some jalapeño-carrot relish that is out of this world. :3
Year, getting back on-topic in at least one of my threads would be a good idea...

I attached a photo, those in #zafur know it already. It's my first try to cook pap with tomato sauce!
Attachments
First try of pap with tomato sauce.
First try of pap with tomato sauce.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

*polenta and tomato.
Our pap is so refined it's usually always white and tasteless
[REDACTED]
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,

(after a long time I finally found the time to respond to this thread :)
Helios_phi wrote:*polenta and tomato.
Our pap is so refined it's usually always white and tasteless
Oh. I think the problem with the picture is the poor white balance of my camera. Maybe the background wasn't best for it.
We also have polenta around. Tiger-Force is cooking it sometimes. That is much more yellowish. I'm sure your is *more* refined but I think what I got (it's not as easy in Germany :) is something in between.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Oh, no no no. I thought you made polenta.
It looks very yellow.
I must say I much prefer polenta to maize meal.
I have a recipe, that once the polenta sets hard in the fridge, you slice it and fry it like chips. It's amazing
[REDACTED]
ph3-der-loewe

Post by ph3-der-loewe »

reflum,

you would mind to share it?