How Did You Arrive At Your Fursona's Name?

The place to talk about anything just generally furry. If you have a furry-related thread that doesn't fit anywhere else, put it here! Just keep it clean.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

How Did You Arrive At Your Fursona's Name?

Post by Sev »

I was having a conversation with some other furs, and this topic came up. Some of the answers were really interesting, so I thought that the idea might make a worthwhile thread.

I'll go first.

It all started with this guy:

I was such a fan of Mick Thomson, that I bought his signature Ibanez, which has his number (SEVEN) in the inlays. I still own and love this guitar, even after all of these years.

Up until this point, I had been using my gamer tag on all forums, whether or not the forum had anything to do with gaming. After this, I started going by some variation of Seven; Seven on smaller forums, otherwise Se7en or Sieben.

At a similar time, I needed a respectable email address that was memorable but unique, so I went for "The Montgomery Incident". I thought that it sounded super cool (and I honestly still think so).

To maintain a consistent identity online, I then started using MontgomerySeven everywhere. This later morphed into "Sev Montgomery".

Deciding that Sev had to be short for something, I drew Inspiration from the Roman Severan Dynasty (hence "Severus"). Continuing with the theme of historical figures, I added the middle name "Alexander", and simply adopted Field Marshall Bernard Montgomery for the last part.

Hence: Severus Alexander Montgomery.

Some of you may also have noticed that my 'sona has an M7 on his racing leathers. That was a play on Montgomery Seven and the N7 program from Mass Effect. You can see it has the same styling.

It's all pretty convoluted, but I'm pretty fond of how it all turned out.

So, who's next?
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Species: Husky
Region: Gauteng

Re: How Did You Arrive At Your Fursona's Name?

Post by Tocs »

I pretty much took my surname and reversed it.. I've used it as a sense of my online personality when I came to gaming. In many gaming communities I was know as Tocs or Tocsy. During the time I was in these communities it was a rather unhappy time in my life, and one of my escapes where I could be myself, with friends I've made and not be scared about.. well.. showing my personality was through this medium. Thus Tocs is essentially the true me, well that's how I see it anyways. My full name is Tocs Y. Turvy. The Y is actually something dedicated to a friend of mine that has a very special place in my heart, who, is in a better place now... He always used to say "yipp" a lot and so just so I never ever will forget all the amazing things he did I put his essentially favourite saying in as a middle name. Tocsy Turvy is a play on words for Topsy Turvy which I didn't only do to my surname (by reversing it) but also changed my life around when I found this persona. The real me. So yeah.. All deep and stuff but yeah that's me hehe
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Sorry to hear about your friend. I had that happen to me twice. The first was because of muscular dystrophy and the second was a car accident.
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

In comparison mine is rather down on the list of deep.

It popped into my head and I didn't hate it
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I took seventeen alphabet blocks and tossed them en masse into a tumble dryer, shut the hatch, and turned it on. After waiting three minutes, I then blindfolded myself, opened the tumble dryer, and removed the blocks randomly one-by-one and set them in a row on a table. I then removed my blindfold.

Together, they spelled 'StargazingSerpent'. Hence, that became my name.

Yup. :3
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

My original fursona name was Punk Fox. I was a fox when I first joined the fandom and I'd like to think that I am a punk rock girl at heart. When I got my horse, he came with the name Fox Dot Com, and it was cemented in me that this name had some destiny, hence my FA handle, Punk-Fox-Dot-Com.

I didn't like being called Punk after a while (I don't know why...) so I changed it too Kestral. When I was a kid I wrote stories, and the lead was either always called Falcon or Kestral. I just liked it (spelt wrong too). My lead was usually a Russian spy, named Kestral Raven Tigrena Tigress Ivanavic. We'll come back here later.

I have Multiple Personality Disorder, and my Psychologist when I was younger had helped me split the personalities. They didn't have names, but we could identify them. I decided, in all my glorious wisdom, to name them and give them Sona's. As I was now known as Kestral, my psychotic polar opposite was called Netherkess. The weird insane bouncy me was named Corrosion, because I felt like he was slowly eating away at the bad things... or maybe my social life. Riot was anger, through and through. Flitwick became the over the top flirty side of me... which used to get me into trouble a lot... Gambit was the side that likes to take risks, gamble and otherwise not have a single responsibility. Nirvana was the straight male side to me... he was sort what I felt when I was lesbian... like I wasn't a girl. I was a guy. Boomerang was the male gay side... I sometimes felt like I was a gay man trapped in a short ginger body. And then Umbra, my sad side...

Now I couldn't very well wonder about here or at furmeets with a thousand sona's... so I went by Kestral, or Kessie, or to the older crowd, Punk. But still I was unsatisfied. My new psychologist decided this was unhealthy, being so accepting of the personalitlies. So she said I needed to pull them all together.

I was no longer satisfied being Kessie. I wasn't a Fox anymore either, I knew I was what I started as, an anubian Jackal. I looked back at my whole name and realised one thing I've always loved...

Edgar Allen Poe.

And Quoth the Raven Nevermore.

And so I changed my name to Raven. I like to sing, so Raven Song.
When I made my angel dragon sona for fun - Magpie (a relative of the Raven) Sharkbait (hoo hahah - I like Finding Nemo).
When I made my music sona - Nove (I love Super Nova's and it just sounds... musical).

But I am Raven now, and wont ever change that. I'm happy being Raven. My sona has been redesigned a hundred times, but the name will not change anymore.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's a bit old, but a thread very similar to this one already exists: http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1117
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Ah yes, my explanation is already on the thread Leeward linked. One reason I forgot to mention for my new name, is Ryall is a play on rile.
rile
rʌɪl
verb
informal
make (someone) annoyed or irritated.
Hahaha! :lol:
YoteFox
Species: Arctic Sabre Fox

Post by YoteFox »

Welp my original name was Coyote Animosus given to me by a online quiz from rum and monkey. So when I joined the whatsapp group my name was to long to say and I got the nickname Yote from Matt, since then it just stuck, I added Fox to the end because well people kept getting confused with my species so yeah. It's quite a unique name YoteFox. As for Vex, I was working on the refsheet and it just popped into my head and kinda stuck since then.
I'd rather be fursuiting

Suit up and it will make you feel better
- Pepper Coyote

People get built different. We don't need to figure it out, we just need to respect it. Maybe he likes his company more than I like mine - Princess Bubblegum
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward wrote:It's a bit old, but a thread very similar to this one already exists: http://forum.zafur.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1117
I know that, and I recall even commenting on it. But this explanation is much more in depth.

Also, this isn't Stack Overflow, so it's probably better to recreate threads than necro them when they haven't been commented on in ages.

Also, things might have changed for people who have already commented on that one since, so this is more natural anyway.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

I was bored and decided to make it hard to pronounce my name for other furries.

Oh and it's apparently the direct translation of Anubis from Egyptian hieroglyphics. Signature below.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I believe it's pronounced "Ahn-puu" if I remember correctly?

My post on the old topic still holds true, although I copied the bulk of it into a DA journal for future reference.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I thought it was inapa...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
I-O
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Arctic Wolf

Post by I-O »

Get ready guys...this one's gonna be a looonnnggg explanation... X3

So up until now I've just told people of how the letters I.O served as the initials of a character in a manga I'm planning on publishing one day. What I haven't told you is what the name itself is...well here goes!

I.O = Iao Odium

Firstly, a little info on my manga...

My story follows a boy who is the descendant of a wealthy noble family of powerful mages. A tragedy unfolds when he is selected as the vessel for a spirit who was created by a definite god in the world and is meant to rid it of humanity as this god has a specific hatred towards humans for being impure. This spirit is designed so that it acts on certain principles and ideology, thus it cannot be reasoned with and does as it pleases disregarding how the human world works. It is summoned and takes control on the boy's body, but something in the summoning goes wrong and the two souls are stuck inhabiting the same body.

This boy had an original name, but forgets everything of his past after this event and thus comes to be known as 'Iao.'

Some quick background...

The word Iao (pronounced "eye-a-o") is used in ancient Greek texts as to describe a supreme deity or 'god'. The name itself appears very little in old texts as it always acts to describe a 'god' that is discreet or not well know. It does not conform to any language nor can it be said to belong to any religious/cultural backgrounds. It is simply a name without any origin, except being to describe an entity of great power and thus I chose this name to describe the main character of my story.

The surname 'Odium' describes widespread hatred or mass rage, this I chose as the character's surname as he is hated throughout the entire story by most, feared for his disregard for anything besides what the 'god' deemed as just or fair. The idea was originally to create a weapon which acts to enforce brutal and merciless justice, disregarding any feelings, relations, beliefs or past thus treating all equally.

This character still retains the name Iao, but I decided to remove the surname as to emphasis on the spirit being created just then, with no background or history.

I rather gave this surname to my fursona, as well as giving him the first name 'Iiia' (pronounced "eye-e-a") which has no meaning or translations. The surname here is what's most important as my fursona is more of the person I want to be, but cannot. Giving him the surname is the one fine detail in his personality that makes him a little more realistic!

As to what exactly this means for my fursona...who knows? It might indicate a certain evil that lives within him, a hatred that can never be forgotten OR maybe an insecurity of how he feels people will never truly accept him as he is?

What I CAN say for certain is that his name is "Iiia Odium" ...but you can just call him I-O for short. X3
"Friend" is not just a word to me...it means so much more.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wow, that was a lot of detail to absorb. I read it 3 times, and I still don't 100% follow.

So from what I gather, you originally wanted to give this demon human hybrid the surname "Odium", but then decided against it and instead gave to to your fursona. Is that correct?

Do you have a particular interest in classical history? Or was this just a convenient setting?
I-O

Post by I-O »

It's something to that effect, yeah XD

I just have a broad perspective of studies relating to ancient mythology and Egyptian theology...not out of being interested in it, but because it's useful information for when it comes to dealing with stuff related to my spirituality. It just can't be ignored.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Curious, so are you some sort of pagan? Or something more abstract?
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Inpw wrote:I was bored and decided to make it hard to pronounce my name for other furries.
And that's why I just call you Accretion. :P
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Accretion always made me think of this:

Accretion Disk
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That's exactly what he called himself after originally, so no wonder.
I-O

Post by I-O »

Sev wrote:Curious, so are you some sort of pagan? Or something more abstract?
Nah, I've just learned a lot through trial and error :mrgreen:
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Do you okes want me to change my name back?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Not specifically, I don't mind either way.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'll still call you Accretion either way, so it doesn't particularly matter.
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

My furs name originated when I was about 7, although it wasn't for this purpose. (Considering I only found out about the fandom/ joined the fandom a month ago)

Anyway the name Kspore came from a game called Spore (it was this great creature creator game ). So in the game we got to name our species and named mine Kspore obviously. Ever since then I have been using Kspore everywhere.

And there you have it, not as deep as some of fursonas names but mine still means a lot (everything) to me. Kspore is who I am.

Thanks for reading this. :)
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Kspore wrote:My furs name originated when I was about 7, although it wasn't for this purpose. (Considering I only found out about the fandom/ joined the fandom a month ago)

Anyway the name Kspore came from a game called Spore (it was this great creature creator game ). So in the game we got to name our species and named mine Kspore obviously. Ever since then I have been using Kspore everywhere.

And there you have it, not as deep as some of fursonas names but mine still means a lot (everything) to me. Kspore is who I am.

So I understand where the 'Spore' part comes, but what's the significance of the 'K?'
northernicebear
Species: Journalist Shirokuma

Post by northernicebear »

Well, Sev had a very straightforward idea, Björn which is "bear" in most scandinavian languages. quite simple
"Sans café, sans vie" (Without coffee, without life) My Grandma Chloë
" am broken, battered, torn apart, yet I persist" - Occitanian Graffiti (translated) in Carcassone, France
Coming Soon to Cape Town ^^ (2017 Year~????)
Icon Credit: Raven Song :3
Kspore

Post by Kspore »

Ryall wrote:So I understand where the 'Spore' part comes, but what's the significance of the 'K?'
Well my real name is Kevin. So..... yeah.
Neon
Species: Huskeh

Post by Neon »

Kspore wrote:My furs name originated when I was about 7, although it wasn't for this purpose. (Considering I only found out about the fandom/ joined the fandom a month ago)

Woah...Spore.

Kspore

Post by Kspore »

It was a great game. I wish I could play it again, these spinoff games don't do it justice.